Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#15550 - 26/08/2000 04:48 Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1
veixl
journeyman

Loc: Tartu, Estonia, Europe
Is the new mark2 RDS radio unit usable with mark 1 model.
I'm just thinking of purchasing used mark1 model because new model is too expensive for me and i don't like the new models design much (too rounded). Allthough i have no room for two head units and i want to listen radio with RDS too.
If there is any mark1 for reasonable price available send me a note

Veiko [email protected] MK1 #317 - 20GB green

#15551 - 26/08/2000 08:28 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: veixl]
Henno
addict

Loc: Meije, Netherlands
Is the new mark2 RDS radio unit usable with mark 1 model.

No. The mark1 has an internal RDS radio. There's no provision to hook up the external Mk2 radio too.
(Why should you, anyhow)

Henno
mk2 6 nr 6

#15552 - 27/08/2000 10:51 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: Henno]
veixl
journeyman

I didn't know that mk1 had built-in radio, that's great. Don't understand why they took it out. I intend to use it indoors too and with mk2 I'd had to buy 2 radio units. Don't have a stereo in livingroom currently and i intend to buy a little amp and build a matching size box with extra car mount and power supply installed. Maybe i can even find an amp that has enough space to install everything in one box.

#15553 - 27/08/2000 11:33 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: veixl]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

Don't understand why they took it out.

Many people were complaining that the empeg mk1's radio wasn't strong enough - being inside the empeg, it received alot of interference from empeg - which is why they took it out of the box... In my experience, the mk1's radio wasn't as strong as my factory head unit's radio, but was still sufficient enough to receive most of the stations that I listened to.
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#15554 - 27/08/2000 21:48 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: dionysus]
Nils

Loc: Germany
Yep, the only problem is/was that AM is not possible, just FM ...
At least here in Germany, AM is not very popular, so it's not a problem to mention, but in the US AM is quite popular, so be aware that the Mk1 tuner is *not* working in AM !!

Nils

#15555 - 27/08/2000 21:52 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: Nils]
dionysus
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
In reply to:

Yep, the only problem is/was that AM is not possible, just FM ...
At least here in Germany, AM is as popular as cancer, so it's not a problem to mention, but in the US AM is quite popular, so be aware that the Mk1 tuner is *not* working in AM !!

Unless I'm mistaking, the mk2 will not have AM capabilities either..
-mark

...proud to have owned one of the first Mark I units

#15556 - 27/08/2000 22:05 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: Nils]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
but in the US AM is quite popular,

Only for some things. Primarily for "talk radio", where hosts pontificate on their favorite topics and field questions from telephone callers. In recent years, this field has become dominated in the US by a character named Rush Limbaugh. He's a very large man with a larger ego, and has a very right-wing (extremely conservative) view of politics. Because of this, I consider the lack of an AM radio in the Empeg to be a beneficial feature.

Once upon a time, "Rush" meant a trio of Canadian virtuoso rock musicians. Now, when you say "Rush" to somebody in the US, you have to specify which one.

#15557 - 28/08/2000 08:22 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: tfabris]
veixl
journeyman

I only need FM but my favorite radio has quite low signal in Tartu so this can become a problem. My current Sony unit plays it just excellent but i know that quite a lot of factory radios don't. But i still don't want to keep my old unit, i don't like it at all. Has anybody bought mk1 from Estonia, maybe guys@empeg can check it out from the database and give me some e-mails so i could check it out from owners.

#15558 - 29/08/2000 03:16 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: dionysus]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
The *first* mk2 tuner is FM only, but we hope to offer an FM/AM one later when we've source a decent FM/AM module.

Hugo

#15559 - 29/08/2000 07:57 Re: Is the new mark2 RDS radio usable with mark 1 [Re: altman]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
"The *first* mk2 tuner is FM only..."

Great! As stated before, I dont care about AM and would prefer to get a FM only if it meant getting any radio sooner.

Not that I dont enjoy my empeg, but the radio feature in the manual looked cool. Keep doing what your doing, cause it rocks!

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue)