Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#14661 - 21/08/2000 05:30 alternator wine
buts
journeyman

Loc: sydney australia
i seem to have alternator wine eg a wisell when you acelerate any ideas on how to fix it , would a small cap fix it ?

andrew butler
sn 08000176 6G amber

#14662 - 21/08/2000 08:41 Re: alternator wine [Re: buts]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Alternator whine is usually caused by a ground loop or insufficient noise filtering on the power leads to the equipment.

Make sure all your components (empeg, amps, etc) are all grounded to the same point on the car with heavy-gauge wire. Then make sure that you've got a noise filter on the power lead to the Empeg.

In my car, I have a heavy-duty 20-amp noise filter on the main power lead that drives both the Empeg and the amps. You may not need to go to that extreme length, but I have three amplifiers, all with different ground potentials, so I'm having some ground loop troubles. A ground loop isolator may also help.

For more information on noise reduction in the car, refer to the PDF files at http://www.installdr.com/TechDocs.html (scroll down to the "reducing and eliminating engine whines..." section).

#14663 - 03/10/2000 14:42 Re: alternator wine [Re: buts]
jpski
stranger

Loc: Seattle, WA
I started noticing the same problem about a week after I got my empeg installed. My unit doesn't seem to ground properly sometimes... All I needed to do was wiggle the unit until it was grounded properly.
The car-toys installation guy said that if the empeg is not seated properly then the ground that it uses is probably the RCA shielding > amplifier > amp ground cable. It will pick up noise in the long RCA cables, which lead back to my trunk.

Mk2/40GB/Blue