Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#22029 - 06/11/2000 20:13 Deleting and orphans
dewdman42

i just tried to delete a whole bunch of stuff from my empeg and ran into problems. I have my tunes organized into 2 level deep playlists....by artist/album. If I select a bunch of artists and hit delete...and presume that none of the tunes or playlists wihin are referenced in any other playlist.....then they disappear. However, after a sync, the album playlists are then all located in the Unattached items folder. So I select them all there and hit delete...and do another sync. After this second Sync, all the actual tunes are now in the Unattached items folder...where I again select them and hit delete. After this final sync.....they seem to be gone finally.

It seems that if I delete a playlist...ti does not delete the tunes that are in it. it only deletes the playlist..throwing the tunes into the unnattached folder where I then have to go delete them again. As many levels deep as my folder hiearchy is...that's how many times I have to DELETE-SYNC in order to get all the wanted artist/albums off my Empeg.

Is this a bug? Am I doing something wrong? Is this a feature request?

Also, I tried this from Emptool as well... When I did an rm -r * from the top level, it removed all the playlists. I did a sync, but then it gave me all these messages that listed all these "orphan" files. When I went into unattached items dir (using Emptool), they did NOT show up at all. But when I start emptool, it would give me a message that my database was messed up. I would try to rebuid it. Still messed up with a bunch of orphans. When I then close emptool and connected with Emplode, all those "orphans" seemed to show up in the unnattached items list and I then did the DELETE-SYNC procedure several times to get absolutely everything off my empeg so that I can get it filled properly again..

I would appreciate any comments at all about DELETING in general and how I can delete an entire hierchy of stuff from my empeg....ie...remove all tunes in all albums from a particular arists when they are organized that way.

thanks
-steve

#22030 - 06/11/2000 23:15 Re: Deleting and orphans [Re: dewdman42]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Hmm, I think I like the behavior you just described. Prevents me from deleting songs accidentally as I re-organize playlists.

I think a way to prevent having to do a synch for each directory level would be as follows:

1) Select one of the album folders, then press CTRL-A to select all the tunes in it.
2) Delete the tunes.
3) Repeat for each album.
4) Now you can delete the parent tree since the playlists are now empty
5) Synch (once) and everything should be gone.

Does that work? Anyone?

#22031 - 07/11/2000 01:07 Re: Deleting and orphans [Re: tfabris]
dewdman42

Well, doing what you just described would take me a very long time to delete a lot of stuff. I would have to open up each artist and each album and select-all delete the songs...then their parent playlists, one at a time. Its a pain any which way you slice it.

Not only that, but you would have to do this procedure you described once for each level of the hierarchy..not just the tune level. (If you have two levels deep playlist and delete the top level, you leave orphan playlists behind as well)

At the very least, let me group select playlists and attempt to delete everything, including underlying songs....and have the system warn me first if it thinks I am about to delete a bunch of stuff I may not want to delete. Or have a special override flag so that I can FORCE it to recursively delete everything downwards...rather than just deleting the playlist...leaving a bunch of orphans lying around. It made such a mess that way..

#22032 - 07/11/2000 03:14 Re: Deleting and orphans [Re: dewdman42]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
1.1 addresses most of these problems with the search functionality - not much help now, but it's sorted in the next release.

Hugo