Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#25206 - 19/01/2001 14:04 About auto insurance and removable stereo gear.
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
This is from past personal experience.

Some auto insurance companys exclude coverage for removable stereo equipment. Yet will pay off gladly if the unit is permenantly installed. (tools are needed or damage must be done to remove the unit) For that reason I typically don't buy removable equipment. (I'll have to check my papers before I install my new car player.) Given that coverage is not garanteed, I'm interested in having a screw installed thru the sled and into the player. That would of course mean using something like an Airport or a Long crossover cable.

Is it possible to accomplish this without totally bad things happening.?

-- Glenn

#25207 - 19/01/2001 14:56 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yes, what you describe can be done fairly easily. I'd recommend opening the player and removing the top lid, then drilling your hole in the lid with it removed from the player (after carefully marking the desired location). That way you don't get any shavings inside the unit.

Alternatively, you could do something with the security slot. It's just a little rectangular hole in the back corner of the player, designed to insert those laptop-style locking devices.

However, there are some things you need to consider:

1) The serial port must also be accessible in the car so that you can perform software upgrades on the player.

2) The serial port, when docked, runs at a slower speed than it otherwise would, possibly making upgrades slow. I think this can be resolved by editing config.ini, though.

3) Environmental conditions. In extreme weather, you should protect the hard disk from failure by removing the unit and keeping it in the house.

But all in all, the real root of the problem is the idea that you would want to leave it in the car at all. No matter how well you screw it into the dash, if a thief wants it, he'll get it. Whether or not you made the process troublesome for the thief doesn't change the fact that it was stolen and your car was vandalized. Remember that the thief would have no idea that the thing was screwed into place until after he broke your windows and took a crowbar to your dash. If you screw it into place, you might come back from dinner to find an Empeg that was completely ruined by crowbar attempts.

And then there's the problem of convincing your insurance company that you really screwed it into place... You might go to all this trouble only to find out that it's not covered anyway.

#25208 - 19/01/2001 20:02 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Hi Tony,

All good points. The insurance company can be dealt with if its done up front. Photos, letters, ect...

The point about adverse weather it the one I hadn't considered at all. I live in the Central Valley of California. Its a mild Medeterrainian(?) climate.

I checked the manual, I believe the enviromental ranges are wide enough to allow me to leave the empeg in permenantly.

BTW this is going into a Sebring Convertable. This is another reason why I want this unit more securely mounted. It only takes a moments inattention for a loss to happen. (I know, I already lost a cell phone this way) I like the idea of using the security slot. I'll have to look for ways to make use of that.

-- Glenn
PS. I hadn't recognized the security slot for what is was. That feature was a GOOD IDEA.

#25209 - 20/01/2001 07:32 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
I'd recommend opening the player and removing the top lid, then drilling your hole in the lid with it removed from the player (after carefully marking the desired location). That way you don't get any shavings inside the unit.

...or you could simply use the threaded M5 insert in the back of the unit through the sled to lock the unit in, thereby avoiding having to drill at all....

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#25210 - 20/01/2001 09:57 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The point about adverse weather it the one I hadn't considered at all. I live in the Central Valley of California. Its a mild Medeterrainian(?) climate.

And you never take that Sebring up to Tahoe?

#25211 - 20/01/2001 10:11 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
MrFarm
stranger

Loc: Guildford
Why dont you just take it out all the time? It only takes an extra 5 seconds, and you could play it on your home stereo system.
Then you can remove the reson for the theif to break in and steal the shiney blue thing he sees.

#25212 - 20/01/2001 17:18 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear [Re: schofiel]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
In reply to:

...or you could simply use the threaded M5 insert in the back of the unit through the sled to lock the unit in, thereby avoiding having to drill at all....

A feature which is only available on the Mk 1...

--
David
// I'm probably not speaking on behalf of empeg/SONICblue here...

#25213 - 20/01/2001 21:01 Too cold! [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

And you never take that Sebring up to Tahoe?
Tony Fabris

Only when its warm.
Ragtops are no damm fun in the cold.

--Glenn

#25214 - 20/01/2001 21:12 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: MrFarm]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Why dont you just take it out all the time? It only takes an extra 5 seconds, and you could play it on your home stereo system.

1) Being seen removing and installing gear is a form of (come steal me) advertisement.
2) I already have a home stereo system. The empeg is for the car. The main reason I would remove it is to load it either with music or software. (I see wireless in my future.)

-- Glenn

Edited by gbeer on 21/01/01 05:22 AM.

#25215 - 21/01/2001 08:47 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Being seen removing and installing gear is a form of (come steal me) advertisement.

If you bring the carrying case with you, a watching thief would see that, too.

Let me tell you from personal experience. I had a full-pull out CD player in my car for several years. It was never stolen because I always brought it with me. I still own it (although it's not in the car any more). The empeg has been in my car for over a year now, and I've had no trouble with theft with it, either.

On the other hand, I had a permanently-installed stereo that was screwed in really well. It got stolen within a year, and the car severely vandalized in the process. I also had a removable-faceplate stereo with the face taken off. It, too was stolen within a year.

In all of these cases, there were amps in the trunk that were not taken (although I did lose some speakers once and a subwoofer the other time). Usually, the thieves only go for what they can see.

If you are worried about the "steal me" advertising, then you can do what I've done: Stealth install. All of the speakers are either hidden or are under the factory grilles. And the hole in the dash gets covered by a blank panel. In my case, the panel is the genuine Honda part which covers up the radio spot in cars which don't have radios. It even has the Honda logo on it. This is the best way to prevent theft.

#25216 - 21/01/2001 08:49 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, and I just wanted to add: If you remove the Empeg from the dash then stick it in the trunk, that doesn't count. That's "steal me" advertising, too.

#25217 - 21/01/2001 10:20 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
MrFarm
stranger

So your saying that if a theif sees an empty hole with no stereo in it, hes going to break into the car anyway? That so wont happen..

Or are you saying the theif will be watching you take it out, and put it in the glovebox / boot / under seat, and break in when you leave? Well if youve got a theif watching your car that closely your [censored] anyway..

If you compare it to seeing a nice looking stereo in your car dash, he is far more likely to break in and nick it than if theres an empty hole there. Regardless of weather its screwed in and he cant nick it, you will still end up with a shafted lock mechanism / broken window / munted dashboard / damaged empeg. Just cover it up (skillz tony) or remove it. Surely thats the safest thing to do..

#25218 - 21/01/2001 10:28 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: MrFarm]
debauch
enthusiast

Loc: West Midlands, England
In reply to:

So your saying that if a theif sees an empty hole with no stereo in it, hes going to break into the car anyway? That so wont happen..

Au contraire Mr Farm. There are many tales of peoples' cars being broken into purely because the thief assumed that the removeable stereo had been left in the boot/trunk or under the seat.

Having said that, you're still never going to stop the casual opportunist (I rather suspect that even "Radio has been removed from this car" stickers won't stop them).

The only truely successful way I have found is to hire a sniper to cover your car from a nearby building. Nobody goes near a car with a dead body lying halfway through the driver's window.

Nick.

--
18Gb blue (now AR red) - s/n 080000299 (original queue position 8724)

#25219 - 21/01/2001 10:40 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: debauch]
MrFarm
stranger

Im never stealing your parking space ;)

I guess im assuming everyone lives south UK like myself. Not much crime, and people barely break into cars for mobile phones, certainly not for dashboard cavities. If my car does get broken into, i shall most definately eat my words, and a horse with it.

spose it realy should be your own personal judgement on how secure your car is. Otherwise we all might argue about who to blame. .

#25220 - 21/01/2001 11:20 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: MrFarm]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

In my mobile phone example. The theif didn't even have to break in. I was at the local car wash using the vacuums. The top was down and I went to get change. The moment or so I was out of sight, was just enough. The phone was there when I pulled in. After leaving I noticed it missing. Between those two times the only other person near the car was another patron of the car wash. I saw the guy. He really kept his cool. Took the phone, went back to his car and finished working on it before leaving.

Based on that experience, I'm leery about have a pullout system. That begs the question "Why did I buy this one?" Simpley answered. Its just about the only game in town right now. BTW. I have no intention of removing the factory installed system. Just agumenting it. For that, I would be better off putting the player in the trunk. To that effect I have been following the threads about remote displays and such.

-- Glenn

#25221 - 21/01/2001 13:01 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: debauch]
davec
old hand

Loc: Georgetown, TX USA
In reply to:

The only truely successful way I have found is to hire a sniper to cover your car from a nearby building. Nobody goes near a car with a dead body lying halfway through the driver's window

Any good sniper wouldn't let the theif get in the window or get blood on the car

Dave Clark
Austin, Texas
12g Amber

#25222 - 21/01/2001 13:24 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: davec]
morrisdl
enthusiast

Loc: Rochester, NY USA
Snipers have two sayings I though I would share:

"one shot, one kill!" and "you can run, but youll only die tired"

Maybe they should add: "drop my empeg, or i'll drop you"

-Doug
(Mk2-12G-Blue or Green)

#25223 - 21/01/2001 15:54 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

BTW. I have no intention of removing the factory installed system. Just agumenting it.

Where were you planning on putting the Empeg? Is there a blank DIN spot next to the factory radio? If so, that would be the perfect setup for a stealth install. Pull the empeg out, then cover the hole, leaving just the factory radio showing. Factory radios aren't really a hot theft item, and this way it doesn't look like you're hiding anything.

#25224 - 21/01/2001 16:00 Re: Too cold! [Re: gbeer]
eternalsun
Pooh-Bah

Loc: San Jose, CA
Not unless you have temperature controlled heated seats to warm your tush and body, like me. Then you can drop the top, turn on the heat and drive around in the winter without too much trouble. ;-) It can get downright uncomfortably hot unless the top is down actually.

Calvin

#25225 - 21/01/2001 16:02 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
ineedcolor
addict

Loc: Windsor, Ontario Canada
Hello All

Just reading Tony's note and I too had the same misfortune. $2000 repair to a badly damaged dash while they tried to get my head unit and last winter, my sub was taken. Like Tony sayz, a stealth install is your best bet, the jerks can't see anything and move on to their next target. The removable empeg completes the process. Funny though, my insurance company never gave a rat about the fact that I had an alarm or a stealth install though....

Technoweenie
12 GB Blue / Red MK2

#25226 - 21/01/2001 22:43 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Where were you planning on putting the Empeg?

There is a pocket forward of the shifter below the enviromental controls. I'v seen the cd changer, normally in the trunk, mounted here. The molding that forms the pocket and mounts the accessary jack is removed to make space. You have to bend down to see the changer in that location. That qualifies as stelth, but makes it hard to read the display. If the sled was on drawer slides, it could be pulled out far enough to read and pushed back to hide it.

An alternate arrangement would be to mount it somewhat the why it appears. (its just setting propped up in the hole for the attached pictures)

-- Glenn

Attachments
24589-sebring.jpg (112 downloads)

#25227 - 22/01/2001 00:29 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: debauch]
Fogduck

Loc: BC
Have to agree with debauch and others. The first and only time my car was broken into was the day after I got my empeg installed. The sled was shiny and visible to the outside world despite my tint and I awoke to find my passenger-side window rolled down and evidence of rummaging -- zero damage excepting a soggy seat, thank God. Oddly enough, they didn't take other valuables that were in plain view.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --
MK2 #141, green, 12GB
- - - MK2 #141 12GB Queue #5723 (SOLD) MK2a 30GB + grn + tuner + blk empeg case

#25228 - 22/01/2001 03:32 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: MrFarm]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
I guess im assuming everyone lives south UK like myself. Not much crime, and people barely break into cars for mobile phones, certainly not for dashboard cavities.

Where in south UK? Here in Cambridge, my brother's girlfriend had her car broken into just to nick her bag off the front seat. And this in the Kite, just about the nicest, quietest, poshest bit of town.

Peter

#25229 - 22/01/2001 06:02 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks for the pic. Wow, that is a great candidate for a completely stealth install.

Assuming you take the Empeg with you, you could cover the hole with a bit of plastic and there would be no reason for a thief to even give your car a second glance. The trick is getting plastic to match.

Or perhaps the pocket itself would somehow fit back into the sled after it's mounted?

#25230 - 22/01/2001 07:39 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
fvgestel
old hand

Loc: Netherlands
I know someone who installed his stereo behind the ashtray-lid in a mazda. I guess I could do the same in my car; the only problem is the mess that would occur from the stubs and ashes all around the car...

Frank van Gestel

#25231 - 22/01/2001 08:41 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
CHiP
enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey, USA
After doing some research and making some phone calls, i found out that my car insurance wont cover anything that I install in the car. Therefore, I have to get my home-owners (or Renters Insurance) Insurance to cover the empeg.

-CHiP

#25232 - 22/01/2001 12:35 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: peter]
MrFarm
stranger

Guildford infact, resonably posh etc. But a bag on the seat is a bit different from a dash cavitiy :)

Anyway, i still cant see why anyone would want to leave their empeg in, full view, screwed in. sure, a cover / stealth install would reduce the threat, but without a stealth install in that situation, it would be madness..

#25233 - 22/01/2001 14:10 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

...you could cover the hole with a bit of plastic ...

I have seen Sebrings with that plastic part removed. The cd changer Just is not visable. You have to get your head down below the window sill just to see the changer. The lack of the shelf/accessary plug component is not a tipoff.

A cover, like a glove box door would be easy. Attach the hinge to the bottom of the sled. (maybe?) If it was black It would look fine. No need to try and match the gray.

--Glenn

#25234 - 22/01/2001 14:19 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: fvgestel]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

stereo behind the ashtray-lid ...

That would be hard to do on a Sebring. The ash tray is an optional lidded cup that jams into one of the cup holders. The ones show in the picture.
http://empeg.comms.net/files/24589-sebring.jpg

#25235 - 22/01/2001 16:49 Re: About auto insurance and removable stereo gear. [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Yeah, a hinged door would be the ultimate. As it stands right now, my plastic cover has to live in one of the storage compartments.

If it were mounted in that down-low location, would you have trouble pulling it in and out because the shifter is in front of it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >