Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#26507 - 11/02/2001 10:13 fast forward doesn't work ?
amold
journeyman

I tried to fast forward a track for the very first time last night and it did not work ! pressing the right button seemed to rewind, just like the left.
this is with the 1.02 software.

Also, the time between when you turn on the ignition and the empeg starts playing your last track seems to have gotten a shade longer than before 1.02. anyone else notice that ?

#26508 - 11/02/2001 15:03 Re: fast forward doesn't work ? [Re: amold]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There is a bug in fast-forwarding and rewinding Variable Bit Rate (VBR) files in the current version of the software.

It is a bug in the XAudio decoding engine they licensed for the player, they can't fix it without replacing the audio decoding engine.

Good thing is, version 1.1 (due out soon) will have a completely new audio decoding engine which fast-forwards and rewinds correctly on variable bit rate files.

In the meantime, fast-forward and rewind still work fine on Constant Bit Rate (CBR) files.

#26509 - 12/02/2001 14:44 Re: fast forward doesn't work ? [Re: tfabris]
schofiel
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wareham, Dorset, UK
Good FAQ candidate I would reckon, Tony

One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015

#26510 - 12/02/2001 17:11 Re: fast forward doesn't work ? [Re: schofiel]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Good FAQ candidate I would reckon, Tony

I really hate to post FAQs about known bugs that will be fixed in the next revision-- because the FAQ becomes obsolete pretty fast. But in this case, I think you're right, and an exception is in order.

#26511 - 12/02/2001 17:17 Re: fast forward doesn't work ? [Re: amold]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Also, the time between when you turn on the ignition and the empeg starts playing your last track seems to have gotten a shade longer than before 1.02. anyone else notice that ?

Going back over this post for the FAQ, I realized I'd missed this half of the question. I'll play catch up now...

That's very perceptive of you to notice it. In one of the recent releases (I don't know if it was 1.02 or an earlier one), they extended the hard-disk detection time delay because certain brands of disk drive weren't coming up as quickly as others were.

I seem to recall that someone published a kernel hack that allowed faster boots on single-drive systems. Anyone have the link to that hack?

#26512 - 13/02/2001 03:13 Re: fast forward doesn't work ? [Re: tfabris]
borislav
addict

Loc: Sunnyvale, CA, USA
I seem to recall that someone published a kernel hack that allowed faster boots on single-drive systems. Anyone have the link to that hack?

Yes.

Hugo suggested a way to make this hack do the right thing on both single- and dual-drive empegs, but I haven't got around to doing that yet - use only on single-drive units for now.

Regards,
Borislav