Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#27045 - 22/02/2001 16:17 Protective Plastic Film
greggerm
journeyman

Loc: Rhode Island
My Empeg arrived! Long story short, they ran out of the "color" I wanted, so they had to send me an amber unit, and a green faceplate (green is what I wanted, and no complaints from me!)

I have installed the green plate and it looks great, but I have a question - the instructions for the replacement panel ask me to remove the "protective polythene layer from the front of the panel". For the life of me, I can't figure that out.

The question...
1. Should the front side of the panel be a polished "shiny" plastic finish, or will it have a bit of grain (although clear).

(the front of the amber display is smooth and polished)

I assume the clear, but slightly textured surface I am feeling is the protective plastic. How in tarnation is that removed?! I can't seem to find any place to pick at the edges to get it off... but I didn't try too hard, in case I was picking at a film that wasn't there.

If only it had 100baseT...

Thanks,
-gg

#27046 - 22/02/2001 16:30 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: greggerm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
the instructions for the replacement panel ask me to remove the "protective polythene layer from the front of the panel". For the life of me, I can't figure that out.

If the panel came with a sheet of sticky plastic film on it for protection, that's what they're talking about. You know the film. It's the same kind of thing you get on the LCD displays of all your electronic products when you first buy them. You peel off the plastic after you get it hooked up and ready to use. (That's always my favorite part, I don't know why, but I get some sort of strange pleasure from peeling off the plastic film.)

If your panel indeed came with this film on it, you won't be able to remove it after it's been installed.

It's possible that there just wasn't any on the faceplate you got sent. You should be able to tell, though.

Should the front side of the panel be a polished "shiny" plastic finish, or will it have a bit of grain (although clear).

It should have a really faint grainy texture to it. That's most likely the antireflective coating that's on the surface. If you can't pick away any protective film, then it just didn't come with any.

The reason the amber panel is shiny is that it must have been one of the older panels without the antireflective coating.

#27047 - 22/02/2001 16:36 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: tfabris]
greggerm
journeyman

In reply to:

It should have a really faint grainy texture to it. That's most likely the antireflective coating that's on the surface. If you can't pick away any protective film, then it just didn't come with any.

Got it...
And it would appear that there is no film. I do know the standard film you're talking about, and yeah - normally its blatently obvious when its there. No such thing here... looks like I was picking at nothing.

The plate is in fact VERY slightly textured, and that texturing in fact does a good job in preventing reflections! I guess the amber plate that was on it to begin with was a non-AR coated version, because it was polished and shiny.

Saturday the box goes in the car... and I can't wait...

Thanks,
-gg

#27048 - 22/02/2001 16:44 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: greggerm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Saturday the box goes in the car... and I can't wait...

Was it you that said you were going to have a couple friends help you? I have only one suggestion: START EARLY. Read this.

Actually, I have more suggestions, but they're all in this FAQ entry, so make sure to have that handy for reference.

#27049 - 22/02/2001 17:11 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: tfabris]
greggerm
journeyman

An early Saturday start is what I want... And hopefully my little road trip I have planned for Sat. night will have music! (It'd suck if it didn't).

Anyway - I have read those FAQ links, and they'll be printed and at the ready should we run into any common problems. The bulk of it all is just getting those gosh darn wires to and fro.

Aah, looks like round one of uploading songs has completed... time to test it out. (Thanks!)

----- - ---- - --- - -- -- - - - - - - - - -
greggerm 09000991

#27050 - 22/02/2001 17:19 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: greggerm]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

The bulk of it all is just getting those gosh darn wires to and fro.

Yes, make sure you route the audio cables in a different "tunnel" than the power cables and the car's other wiring.

#27051 - 23/02/2001 03:43 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

(That's always my favorite part, I don't know why, but I get some sort of strange pleasure from peeling off the plastic film.)

I guess you like the peeling of sunburnt skin, too?

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#27052 - 23/02/2001 03:49 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: greggerm]
teemcbee
addict

The better you've planned the faster you'll be. But take enough time to make a clean install. If all wires are in position connect the empeg without fixing the docking-sled in it's final position - try if the empeg works, first.
See to have all connectors and enough (and the correct) cables you'll need. It sucks if you are installing the unit and you recognize that you'll need another cable or connector you don't have at this time.

Good luck and much fun!
(I like those car-installs so much

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#27053 - 23/02/2001 03:51 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: tfabris]
teemcbee
addict

Of course that's the best way. Shame on me I didn't. But luckily I've not problems at all...

TeeMcBee
Got my Mk2! # 080000143

#27054 - 23/02/2001 04:49 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: greggerm]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Sounds like the AR coat. From memory, the AR coated panels do not have a peel-off layer, they just come in a small bag. The older, non-ar panels came with peel-off.

Hugo

#27055 - 23/02/2001 10:41 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I guess you like the peeling of sunburnt skin, too?

You're right! I hadn't thought of that. Wow, I wonder if there's something Freudian going on here? Best not to dig too deeply into my psyche.

#27056 - 23/02/2001 10:44 Re: Protective Plastic Film [Re: teemcbee]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

See to have all connectors and enough (and the correct) cables you'll need. It sucks if you are installing the unit and you recognize that you'll need another cable or connector you don't have at this time.

Good suggestion. I would even go the extra mile and say: While you've got the car apart, go ahead and run extra cables between the dash and the trunk. There's nothing worse than having to rip all that stuff apart again just to run an extra ground wire or something when you add another amp or whatever.