Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#33599 - 29/06/2001 12:54 One button searching...
omarkhayyam
journeyman

Loc: Chicago
Is there any way to search by artist or by title without having to press the search button 3 or 4 times? This is how I listen to most of my music, and it would be nice to be able to do this type of search with one button press. On the remote it has buttons listed "Artist," "Title", etc. but those don't do the trick.

Also, just a random UI question - why in the world do PIN, and especially YEAR, come up before title and artist in the search order? Does anyone use those searches as much as artist and title searches?

-Adam

#33600 - 29/06/2001 12:57 Re: One button searching... [Re: omarkhayyam]
anewsome
new poster

Loc: California, US
You are correct,.. PIN is useless for me as I do not plan to manually assign pin numbers to 13,000 mp3 files, if the PIN numbers were automatically assinged this would be marginally useful. But if search brought up title first, then artist, this would be even more useful. Maybe someone has found a way to hack the order that they come up. We'll see.

[stop the technology madness]

#33601 - 29/06/2001 13:06 Re: One button searching... [Re: anewsome]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Keep in mind PINs can be assigned to playlists as well. I personally use PINs for a few artists entire playlists for quick access, as well as a few specific songs I like to hear quite a bit.

#33602 - 29/06/2001 14:45 Re: One button searching... [Re: omarkhayyam]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Although the "PIN" screen is useless to those who don't use PINs, moving it to the end of the list instead of the beginning would make the PIN-users complain.

Remember that you can assign PINs to playlists, and if you listen to certain artists as a group, then you can assign a PIN to those artist playlists. For instance, if you have a Rush playlist, you could assign the PIN "2112" to it.

I agree that the Year screen should be moved farther down the list. And having Genre before Source is a little odd. In my opinion, the order should be:

1) Pin.
2) Song title.
3) Source.
4) Artist.
5) Playlist.
6) Year.
7) Genre.

But then again, that's my personal hierarchy, and someone else might have a different idea of what the order should be. Perhaps someone else uses Genre every single time, and would be mad if it was at the end of the list.

My point is that there's no way to make everyone happy, short of making it customizable. But that's not going to happen any time soon as there would be a lot of work involved to do that.

#33603 - 29/06/2001 18:12 Re: One button searching... [Re: anewsome]
xanatos
enthusiast

Loc: Denver, CO
I primarily use PIN's for stuff. I keep all my playlists, and my friend playlists pinned. New music or my favorite songs Pinned. I think it's an awesome feature.

Damien Heiser

RioCar 12GB Blue SN: 120001043

#33604 - 02/07/2001 03:48 Re: One button searching... [Re: omarkhayyam]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
There was talk of having two-button searching in v1.1 (i.e. press search, then press the relevant numeric button). It's not actually done yet, so we'll have to see...

Roger - not necessarily speaking for empeg