A quick precis for those who missed episodes one and two:

1 - We were broken into, the Empeg was taken from within the house
2 - The Empeg was recovered and detained for forensics by the police but the insurance company claim that they're not going to pay for it if it needs anything because it's not on my house policy because it's a car stereo.

So... The story continues.

We received a call from the police this morning. Apparently, the Empeg had gone missing from somewhere in the station. Jacqs, my girlfriend, happened to be in Solihull, where the police station is, today and called in. To my relief, they found it - it's only because they didn't know what it was that they couldn't find it (didn't make much sense to her either!).

So, I get the Empeg back this evening and, excepting the fact that there's aluminium dust all over it from the fingerprinting guys, guess what...

There's a rattle coming from inside it. My heart sank. Still, I decided to plug it into the car to see what happened. Since the guys at Empeg said that the first thing to go would be the screen, I was surprised to see Tux appear and wave at me. Of course, things never go well in the Barnes household and it wasn't long before the message "No hard disk found - contact support" appeared.

Bugger.

So, the insurers have agreed that they'll pay for the Empeg to be serviced and take it from there. In the meantime, I'm wondering if it's just the hard drive cable which has come loose and whether I should open it up or not.

Anyway... On with life.

Nicholas.