I don't tend to synchronize my PC and my empeg very often, mainly due to laziness. Besides, with thousands of titles in the car, I'm usually pretty happy.

Anyway, many months ago, I switched from my previous PC setup with EAC and lame to a PowerMac with iTunes and all that. I've been using iTunes to correct the tags, and they look fine from within iTunes. However, I recently loaded all these files onto my empeg (Mk2, v2.0 final, using jemplode to push them over), and I've noticed that tags occasionally disappear.

Digging further, I threw some of these files at the Perl MPEG-ID3v2Tag library. When I look at files created by EAC, everything works. When I look at files created by iTunes, the library gives up on parsing the files at all. I imagine this has something to do with ID3v2.3 vs. 2.4 or something, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I've put one such MP3 file online for anybody to play with. This particular file plays fine on my empeg, but the artist line is blank. Is this a problem with jemplode? With the empeg itself? Any thoughts? (Should I just dump the Mac and go back to a PC?)