Last night driving home (in my car, not my bicycle) my empeg started behaving strangely. I don't believe the problem lies in the empeg, but in the wiring connecting it to the car.

At random intervals, not caused by bumps in the road, the empeg goes into standby mode, at least I think it does. My dash position is such that I can't see the flashing LED in the upper right corner of the screen.

It will be playing just fine, then silence for about three to five seconds. I look down at the empeg, the screen is blank. Then the display comes back, it starts playing where it left off. It is NOT re-booting (no empeg logo, no 15 second wait) and the amplifiers are both powered down during this musical blackout, because I hear them come back on-line one at a time. I can exactly duplicate this behavior by holding the top button on the empeg in and entering standby, then pressing it again to turn it back on.

These symptoms would seem to be a loose wire to the in-car docking connector, a common enough problem I believe. But I am a little hazy about just which wire would be causing the problem, what with wires that are always on, wires that control the remote amp turn-on, wires that are switched by the ignition...

And just to make it more complicated, my radar detector started acting up at the same time -- randomly powering off and then "rebooting" with all the beeps and chirps as it goes through self-test mode. These radar detector glitches do NOT coincide with the empeg standby glitches.

Does anybody have any ideas about what I should look for here?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"