i do feel i have a rather problematic empeg...

i run XP and have moved to 2.0b13 and hijack 291, but emplode still has problems with my empeg connecting on USB - it will always fail the first time (database failure, or failed to connect to database, or something like that) - was hoping this would be rectified in b13 but looks like it hasnt for me. mine is also a unit that suffers from the 'no hard disk found' problem. i have tried all kinds of things to fix it including recrimping, endless repositioning of the cables, and also a replacement from support. to no avail (actually, the original cable would fail after every 3rd or 4th pull from the sled, the replacement never worked AT ALL - so i have gone back to the original cable). my empeg generally gets fully disassembled once a week to fix this problem - the fascia screws have lost all their old grip even - ive had to modify the case so the top lid now quick-releases without removing the face/buttons, giving me quick access to the HDD's... (ive had to fiddle with the cable and drives while on the move, one time!)

this combination of faults results in a very arduous process whenever uploads are to be done, due to general unreliability all round. last nite i thought id upload a new gig of music to the unit. ive come to fear uploading to my empeg. actually i fear pulling it from the sled at all. after the usual 9 or 10 times plugging and unplugging USB and power cables emplode finally connected - and i did my changes, and sync'd. got about 30 of 100 tracks copied then the IDE cable obviously f12ked out again. transfer failed with IDE warnings. pulled the usb to stop the transfer, then cycled power - stuck on 'building music databases'. wouldnt go any further no matter what. not much help searching the faq either.

however i made it a point to search this bbs as well, and after wading thru a ton of posts dating back quite a while, i managed to solve the problem without formatting my drives and starting again - which was a huge relief.

so my thanks to the community here - for keeping up this fantastic, responsive and knowledgable forum - there is such a wealth of information on here, and it is great how many of you come together to help solve the same problems time and again, for the new users. so i just wanted to say thank you.

for curiositys sake the solution was to go all the way back to 1.03, with 1.03 software, sync, reflash to b13, etc etc.

i hope to find a more permanent solution to my usb connectivity problems, and with the 'no HDD found' problem - i know many here seem to use the empeg daily with no such hassles - so i am still working at finding how to reach that level of reliability. until then keep up the goo wok here guys as i think im gonna need it.

cheers
-nige