Aaaaarrhghghghghgh!

I got the player back from Rod last Friday and it's been running perfectly since then. But...

I plugged it into the car this morning and it went straight to the Pulsing LED of Power - no start-up screen, or anything. So after waiting the customary time for it to boot up, I then press the top button (to wake it up) and the top button (to unpause it), and music cometh forth from the empeg verily like a fountain. In short, the player does everything exactly as if the display was working, except the VFD never lights up and it always looks like it's on standby.

This is not optimal. I've checked the cables and everything is plugged in nice and tight (with the extra electrical tape that Rod put on the cable just in case it started fraying unexpectedly), and I can't see any obvious blown things or patches of magic smoke leakage. It seems related to its behaviour in the previous incident, but not exactly, and I know I did nothing more than put it down gently and pick it up again between when it was working fine and when it was not displaying at all.

Help? Please?

Paul (wanting the below to be true...)