This will be fun to watch:

http://www.stereophile.com/shownews.cgi?1004

Note that this article contains a paragraph describing a German company's attempt at it:
The trouble with copy-protected CDs is that they don't play in every machine they are put in. In Germany last year, BMG issued Razorblade Romance by the Finnish rock group HIM, only to find that music fans were returning the discs with complaints that they wouldn't play. Tel Aviv's Midbar Technologies, which developed the copy-protection scheme, had reportedly tested it successfully on every type of CD player available at the time. Buyers found otherwise, and BMG had to recall 100,000 discs.

And I would like to quote my statement from a year ago...
If they alter the formatting of the CD, there will be some audio CD players that will refuse to play the discs. I know a little bit about the way these things are formatted. Some players are more picky than others, and there will always be players that won't tolerate a disk with goofy formatting. No record company in their right mind would publish a CD that won't play on consumer equipment. Can you imagine how pissed the record stores would be if their customers kept returning the latest Ricky Martin album because they thought it was defective?

/me invokes his right to say "I told you so".