Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#305481 - 27/12/2007 16:52 CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale?
corrigun
new poster

Loc: Vancouver, WA
I think my unit's pre-amp section went kaput last night while in a 0.00 volume condition for an extended period of time. I listen like this quite a lot and have not had any trouble in the 5 years I have owned the unit. The amps are fine, the cables are good, and after all trouble shooting is done, I am left staring at the deck...there is no output. Again this morning, no output...I was hoping the magical electrical fairies would do there magic overnight...tis the season you know.

I am on the verge of checking in to a sanitarium! What will I do without my Empeg?

Anyway, if you have one to sell, email me your contact info, price, details, preferred payment method, etc...to [email protected] and I will send you my phone number so we can chat about a potential deal.

If anyone has any insight as to what the heck happened I would sure be appreciative! I would HATE to carry a CD again.

Thanks a ton folks!

#305482 - 27/12/2007 17:00 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: corrigun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Playing at 0db for an extended period should not have hurt the player's outputs. It's meant to be able do that.

If it was doing that in the car, I could see how it might blow an amp or speakers, but you say you've done all the troubleshooting, so I'm going to assume you know what you're talking about when you say the amps and speakers are good.

I can only assume something has in fact gone wrong with your player hardware, I'm just saying don't blame it on the 0db playback.

If you can't find a replacement, click on the "Repairs" link at the top of this page. In the US, Stu should be able to sort you out, or in Europe, Rob can help.

#305483 - 27/12/2007 17:10 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: tfabris]
corrigun
new poster

Thanks Tony...You are on the money it shouldn't have quit based on the volume level. It was REALLY weird. I was driving along and it literally quit. The deck was still cruising along, so I thought I had shredded a fuse. I get home and did the usual trace for no output problems...not one issue...there is a super small amount of sound from one channel in the rear outputs, but that is it...another deck from the garage powered the system just fine, but the RIO is dead.

Anyway, thanks again!

#305486 - 27/12/2007 18:46 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: corrigun]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Yep, I've got one I'll sell. I can't gaurantee that the drive is 100% but beyond that the Mk2a is tip top. I would guess that you would transfer your drive into it anyway. How about $150 with or without the drive? I'll toss in a spare display for it that I bought some time ago.

Oh yeah, I live in Olympia.

Edited by Neutrino (27/12/2007 18:48)

#305488 - 27/12/2007 19:37 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: Neutrino]
corrigun
new poster

PM Sent!

#305489 - 27/12/2007 19:42 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: corrigun]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Also double check that it wasn't some kind of a software/firmware glitch, for example maybe it lost its flash settings and everything is turned down, or the EQ is set so that all the items are at their lowest setting, or maybe the fader got cranked all the way forward or backward. Or something like that.

#305490 - 27/12/2007 19:47 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: tfabris]
corrigun
new poster

I checked all of the settings and it is all copasetic. My hunch is that something went haywire because I have been toying with the gain function in hijack and have it set to add about 2.5 dB because I have a ton of older tunes that benefit from the gain. This could have been one contributer to what I am seeing now, but in the mean time is there anything else I can try?

#305491 - 27/12/2007 19:49 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: corrigun]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Not that I want to tank the sale but Tony may have a good point. Have you tried reflashing the Rio and starting from scratch? It's easy to do.

#305492 - 27/12/2007 19:54 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: Neutrino]
corrigun
new poster

I could reflash the thing, but I am pretty serious about the second deck...I'll try the reflash tonight and we will see. Give me a shout though as I would be interested in some more info. I sent you a PM with my number

#305534 - 28/12/2007 19:29 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: corrigun]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
 Originally Posted By: corrigun
I checked all of the settings and it is all copasetic. My hunch is that something went haywire because I have been toying with the gain function in hijack and have it set to add about 2.5 dB because I have a ton of older tunes that benefit from the gain. This could have been one contributer to what I am seeing now, but in the mean time is there anything else I can try?

Hijack cannot harm your deck, so rule that out right now.

Cheers

#305565 - 30/12/2007 04:05 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: mlord]
deadsled13
journeyman

Loc: NC
I am interested in the unit....my vfd died and I could use a spare for parts since me and my old lady have empegs....I sent you a PM.

MK2a 250gig #030102295

#305597 - 31/12/2007 00:42 Re: CRUD!!! I think it died...anyone got an MKII for sale? [Re: mlord]
corrigun
new poster

Hijack DEFINITELY did NOT hurt the deck, but 8+ volts from the deck DID eat the pre-amp stage on one of the amps...it just so happens the one that died is the amp that is first in the chain so a dead pass-thru section made it seem as if there was no signal to any of the 4 amps. Any way, wrong diagnosis...mud on face! This thread can be closed now.