Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#297971 - 05/05/2007 04:44 Feeler
stahimooney

Loc: Virginia
LONG TIME no post...

I am considering selling all of my empeg stuff.
(1) Mk2a with two 20gb drives. This one needs an IDE cable, which has been ordered from eutronix. Included with this is the power supply and sled. I have the empeg remote somewhere but will include a Kenwood remote at the very least. It powere up and runs fine, but locks up occasionally. (Ide cable) This was the infamous "Austin Laesch" unit. Email me for details. I can provide serial numbers upon request.

The 2nd empeg is also a MK2a. It operates normally but there is no sound output. This would be a good candidate for a digital sound ouput I believe. It's been a while since I powered it up but I was able to connect to it via ethernet and USB the last time I tried. Stuart looked at it and I believe the EMPEG Gods themselves saw it at some point and the audio processing chip was the culprit but was no longer available. This one does not have a drive in it. Display and all that is fine.

Additionally I have one extra harness, one wire boogered a little doesn't affect operation.

It's been at least 18 month since I have been on here and probably that long since I have really been passionate about the empeg unfortunately. I sold the Scirocco that the unit was mounted in and didn't have the heart to install it in the R32.

So pending arrival of IDE cable and testing, I am willing to take offers. I DO NOT wish to seperate into smaller sales, unless of course it is an offer as they say I can't refuse. As I said I don't post here often anymore (I used to be fairly active at one point) so email would be the way to go.

[email protected]

Make me an offer. I am willing to go through ebay if that gives you a warm and fuzzy. Being that I tried my best to send someone to jail for trying to rip me off--very publicly here--I understand if there are special steps to make in the sale. No problem.

Thanks
Chris

PS HOW THE HECK IS EVERYONE? My VW's have consumed me. I don't live in VA anymore I am in Tacoma these days. Between the job and kida and cars I don't get to surf around anymore.

#297972 - 05/05/2007 13:33 Re: Feeler [Re: stahimooney]
stahimooney

Wow. Nobody wants to make an offer? Notice that I haven't thrown a number out here. Make me an offer. I'll put it on ebay if nobody is interested.

Please save my time and yours and don't offer me a dollar. It will be a better deal here if I make arrangements with someone. If I put it on ebay I will put a min price.

Thanks for looking.
Chris

#297973 - 05/05/2007 15:02 Re: Feeler [Re: stahimooney]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Hey, good to see you around again. No place in an R32 even with a display extender cable?

Seems like there are a bunch of players for sale right now. Maybe set Outlook to remind you each month to check here and eBay to see if the market is saturated.

Good luck with it.

#297974 - 05/05/2007 16:59 Re: Feeler [Re: FireFox31]
stahimooney

Hey Brother... I suppose I could find a place for it, but honestly the car already has a PhatNoise, that integrates with the factory head unit with no....headaches--pardon the pun.

I picked up another scirocco recently but it's a beast of a car... Full Callaway Turbo package. Since it's an 80 Scirocco S it would be something akin to sacrilige to hack up something like that. I don't have a center console really--unlike a standard MK1 Scirocco. This one has a cockpit's worth of gauges installed already over what was the center console. Besides hearing the turbo spool and blow-off valve is music enough for me. It's being worked on as I write this, and that's part of the reason I may be selling it. My oil pump died in the Callaway and the lower end is being rebuilt. (Normally I would have done it myself, but time is of the essence.)

As you said the market appears to be somewhat flooded. If I can't get what I want for it, then I'll have a house only unit for a while, maybe it will be my garage MP3 player or something? Right now it's collecting dust. I have the cable coming so...

#297975 - 07/05/2007 12:54 Re: Feeler [Re: stahimooney]
stahimooney

Is $350 or best offer for BOTH out of line?

Come on guys got a car in pieces here.

#297976 - 07/05/2007 13:26 Re: Feeler [Re: stahimooney]
stahimooney

AND...

i have a Compaq Proliant Dual p3 server with 4x32gb raid array. Rack mountable, loud as hell. Everything works on it but I don't use it in my office anymore. Thought about putting it in my garage as well... Make it an Etka server. $100?

Also since I am cleaning out the crap around here... I have a bunch of older Mac stuff. All ADB. I have a Quadra 700 with a PPC upgrade card, a bunch of IIci stuff, I have a Quadra 650(?) with the 486 DOS card on it. (works great LOL) Also I there is a Quadra 6000 with something weird in it... Possibly the AV card. Been a while since I have dug it out and fired it up. $50 for the lot?

Saitek X45 HOTAS $50 OBO
MS FFB1 Joystick $20?
MS Server 2000 Best Offer Original disk and license.

Monty Hall.... lets make a deal.

I have VW Parts as well, hell I have VW's

R32... $25K

80 Scirocco Full Callaway Conversion done by R&A Applied Arts in NJ. (this package rated at 200hp) Currently motor being rebuilt. New T04 Turbo. 6 PSI boost. BBS rims, Corbeau racing seats, 5 point harness. Chassis is nearly perfect, dime sized rust spot on rear hatch. This engine is a 1.6 liter stroked to 1.8. Drake head. LOUVERS!!! Pics available. TOO MUCH TO LIST. $6k

Attachments
298783-P1310001.JPG (88 downloads)

#297977 - 15/05/2007 04:38 Re: Feeler [Re: stahimooney]
stahimooney

Clarification.... Stuart straightened me out. The DSP chip will not work on #2 so parts it be... unless someone has a dead one they want to attempt a chip swap in. As I said otherwise this unit is fine. I used it as a backup "server" for a bit there.

Ide cable is in #1 and it is back to 100%. Twin 20gb drives. I am thinking maybe $350 (shipped) for the lot? Obo.

#297978 - 18/05/2007 01:19 Re: Feeler [Re: stahimooney]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
But, could the DSP chip be replaced, or is it "just that dead"?

#297979 - 18/05/2007 09:48 Re: Feeler [Re: FireFox31]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
But, could the DSP chip be replaced, or is it "just that dead"?

It's not the DSP, it's the PEEL in charge of providing the reset signal to the DSP at startup. No reset to DSP = no sound from DSP. It's possible that a simple replacement of the faulty PEEL with a correctly programmed PEEL would work fine. Then again there could be something else wrong that would instantly fry another PEEL. Not having any way to get a replacement PEEL at the time I felt it was moot and had to throw in the towel. Rob S. helped with the diagnosis via e-mail on this one and that was his advice as well.

Stu

#297980 - 22/05/2007 12:33 Re: Feeler [Re: maczrool]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Mmm.. I think there ought to lots of alternative ways to generate a reset signal for that.. a simple R/C circuit; piggyback off some other chip's reset; possibly a s/w solution..

#297981 - 22/05/2007 12:57 Re: Feeler [Re: mlord]
maczrool
pooh-bah

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Mmm.. I think there ought to lots of alternative ways to generate a reset signal for that.. a simple R/C circuit; piggyback off some other chip's reset; possibly a s/w solution..

If you happen to know the specs on that signal and the timing of it then yes of course. I'm sure with enough poking around on a working unit this could be derived. This seems to be one case though where the cost would outweigh the benefit.

Easiest thing to try would be to get a good PEEL and see what happens.

Stu