Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#111686 - 19/08/2002 00:02 OK Aussies, tourist questions...
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
My sister is currently in Darwin with a nasty broken ankle that might require surgery (they don't know yet and won't for a few days, it's too swolen, x-ray looks pretty ugly). I might wind up in either Sydney or Melbourne next week. What would you suggest for where to stay (keep in mind, I'll probably have the one legged sibling with me) and what to do in both cities. Cost isn't really an issue.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#111687 - 19/08/2002 10:06 Re: OK Aussies, tourist questions... [Re: Heather]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
"Hi, Sis. Wow, that looks like it hurts. Hope it gets better soon. Okay, we'll I'm off to see the Sydney Opera House, was nice visiting with you."

#111688 - 19/08/2002 10:17 Re: OK Aussies, tourist questions... [Re: tfabris]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
That's why I'm asking for places with easy handicap access. silly.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#111689 - 19/08/2002 16:08 Re: OK Aussies, tourist questions... [Re: Heather]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Which would tend to suggest that climbing the Sydney Harbour Bridge is also out of the question.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#111690 - 19/08/2002 17:04 Re: OK Aussies, tourist questions... [Re: Heather]
rjlov

Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Where to stay?

If cost isn't an issue, you could always stay in a nice place in the city. A very nice hotel would cost you about 150USD per night. A motel in the suburbs would probably be closer to 25USD.

What to do?

The question is, what sort of thing are you into? I guess the ankle problem will mean you would be generally limited to looking at things rather than doing stuff? Will you have a car?

I can guide you a little bit from the Melbourne point of view. Although, I haven't really been a tourist here, so it's a bit hard knowing what sort of thing to see. I can think of lots of things, but they're not necessarily what a visitor would want to do.

There are (is there an abbreviation for "there are"? ther're??) lots of nice drives around Melbourne, with various parks and things. No real mountains in Australia (by international standards), but some very happy coastline within three hours of Melbourne.

Then there's always the penguins at Philip Island!

If you're into the performing arts at all, then there would be plenty to do. I guess that's not a very touristy thing to do though, because it's not distinctly Australian. Lots of nice food, too, which might be worth trying, given that my friends who now live in the US tell me they miss it.

Then, of course, there's the international brethren (in a non-gender-specific sense) of empeg owners, members of which I'm sure would be happy to take you to their favourite places.

Maybe it's best if, when you figure out where you'll be, you post again. If Melbourne features on your itinerary, I'd be happy to help, to whatever extent I can.

Richard.

#111691 - 20/08/2002 05:38 Re: OK Aussies, tourist questions... [Re: rjlov]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Well of course there is this site which gives information about a variety of accommodation. Part of the same site lets you find things to do, places to shop, events, shows, and other bits. It's a start. I should be a tour guide

How'd your sister break the ankle?
How are you getting from Darwin to Melbourne or Sydney