Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#115434 - 08/09/2002 23:15 Farscape, well as ./ put it, Frelling Cancelled
drakino
carpal tunnel

Slashdot Story

Well, more proof that "The SciFi Channel" dosen't want to be known for decent SciFi shows, they aparently are backing out of a fifth season of Farscape, and didn't let the crew know until two days before season four filming finished. Thus, the show will end with an enternal cliffhanger with a slim possiblility of resolution down the road somehow.

I plan on faxing many letters tomorrow, as set deconstruction is scheduled for the middle of this week. I really hope any slight fan of the show here does the same. I'm just getting really tired of all these teasers that networks have been doing. TNT took over Babylon 5, and helped stretch it to 5 years as planned. Then they start another series, botch it completly, and leave fans hanging after 13 episodes. SciFi then takes ahold of the rights, tries to spawn a series, but dosen't move the airdate of the premiere off an NFL sunday (that was pushed out due to 9/11/01 attacks), and thus the series dies even though it showed potential in the raitings where it didn't compete with the NFL games. SciFi in recent memory has also killed off The Invisible Man (great comedy series), and Sliders (started out well, but their mishandeling of it from the migration from Fox killed it).

I just recently picked up on Odyssey 5 on Shotime, and I hope they actually see it through. I'm tired of seeing crappy SciFi, and want to see something with an interesting, long and drawn out story idea survive.

Grr, overall, I'm just pissed that no network has the guts to actually do something with successful shows. Farscape was aparently a big hit for SciFi. One has to really wonder why it's getting canceled.

#115435 - 09/09/2002 01:36 Re: Farscape, well as ./ put it, Frelling Cancelled [Re: drakino]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Ok, it really pissed me off when my local cable company took the Sci-Fi channel off of our cable line-up and put it in the Digital Cable only line-up. Meaning I'd have to pay $20 more a month just so I could watch Farscape. Now this!? What in the hell is wrong with these people? I have been a big fan of the show since it started, and this just pisses me off. I don't know if it's me, or what, but a whole ton of shows that I seem to like and really get into get cancelled (usually within the first season, or soon thereafter). Arg! I guess I'll just have to finish out my Farscape DVD collection and be pissed off. And hope that someday some other network will pick it up. DAMN IT!

I too am a fan of Invisible Man and Sliders (the earlier seasons, as you have pointed out). Such is my luck though, it seems that anytime I'm interested in a show, it gets cancelled, maybe I'll try just not watching anything and seeing if that helps.

Ok, this is really getting me mad now, I'll just shut-up and goto sleep before I rant more...
ricin.us

#115436 - 09/09/2002 08:35 Re: Farscape, well as ./ put it, Frelling Cancelled [Re: drakino]
DeadFire
addict

This is not fair. The world is out to get me. What is wrong with these people!?

I tape several shows throughout the week, because more than likely, working 2nd shift, I would miss them otherwise. Out of all of them, if I had to choose one... if someone told me I was allowed only one show a week, Farscape would be it.

I realize the 4th season hasn't really been as consistent with the story development as the first three (i.e., in most episodes there wasn't any), but I'm sure it could be turned around.

I hope this isn't true. Even the thought that it might be pisses me off. Kind of reminds me of Sliders. The only difference is that Sliders migrated from another network, and then SciFi ruined it.

Now they are going to lengths to destroy a great, original show. It makes no sense. And I am not happy.

#115437 - 09/09/2002 09:16 Re: Farscape, well as ./ put it, Frelling Cancelled [Re: drakino]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
I just recently picked up on Odyssey 5 on Shotime, and I hope they actually see it through.

Me too. I'm really pleased to see decent sci-fi in high-def once a week.

Hey, did you like the BB reference that Ted Raimi got to deliver this episode, straight to Peter Weller's face? That was great. I was already saying the line with him. All he had to say was "As a great rock 'n roll physicist once said..." and I was already saying the rest of the line along with him.

Had to explain to my wife why I found it so amusing, though.