Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#122395 - 22/10/2002 21:15 Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article
number6
old hand

Loc: In The Village or sometimes: A...
The post about robotic vacuum cleaners reminded me about the recent Time Magazine article about the American Dream kitchen.

The funny looking dishwasher that featured in that article was invented (and is made) in New Zealand by a very clever company called Fisher & Paykel.

This dishwasher would probably be kitchen equivalent of the Empeg for your kitchen in terms of features and design.

This dishwasher is called the DishDrawer - its a dishwasher that comes as one or two linked "drawers" - like those you store your larger kitchen utensils in. Each drawer is independent of the other but they can be used together or indivudually to wash your dishes in. The two drawer model is pretty much the same size and shape as a normal dishwasher.

I have to say that this is the ultimate "geek"/single guy cleaning appliance - with the 2 drawer model, you don't need cupboards for the dishes - you use up the clean dishes from the first drawer - putting the dirty ones in the second drawer.

When the dirty drawer is full up with dirty dishes [and the previously clean drawer is now empty], you then wash the dirty dishes, and then use the now clean dishes from the second drawer to fill up the first one again and repeat.

When our old dishwasher broke this is the one I wanted, but I was over-ruled as we needed a new kitchen first.

You can buy just a single drawer model - but wheres the fun in that?

Apparently, the DishDrawer dishwasher is popular with a lot of Jewish families as they can keep their 2 sets of dishes separate without needing two dishwashers. I think the 2 drawers share the control electronics between the drawers but everything else is seperate.

The current "Paykel" in the Fisher & Paykel name is Jewish, and its rumoured that the 2 drawer dishwasher product was created by the company due to his insistence that they build something like this.

And like any good product, it can be hidden behind your existing kitchen cabinets to really fit in [think custom fascias].

And, if you want a really cool top-loading washing machine with lots of cool buttons & display and features and options galore then check out the top loading washing machines - on the same website.

They are majorly cool to use, and very cleverly engineered - the motor that makes it agitate is effectively a large stepper motor (permanent magnet rotor, Brushless DC motor) that directly drives the drum, so that the agitation and spinning is done by the one motor, all controlled by electronics.

Because its direct drive, there are no pulleys, brakes or gearboxes to break, or leak oil etc.
The thing just runs and runs. The spin speed is pretty good too - 1000RPM, not quite fast enough to seperate uranium into its various isotopes I'd guess, but fast enough for clothes.
One thing it doesn't do is play MP3s, but it certainly makes clean clothes.

We've had one of these for 10+ years now - its our second one - the original one we got in '92 died 2 years ago - 1 day before Christmas, so we bought a new one rather than try and get the old one fixed.

#122396 - 22/10/2002 21:23 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Anyone remember "Design for Dreaming" from MST3K? I'm picturing Nuveena, The Woman Of The Future prancing around...

#122397 - 22/10/2002 21:25 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
I didn't look at the site yet, and the dish washer sounds really cool. The washing machine on the other hand doesn't sound so cool. Top-loading? Ugh! Gasp. Why? Why? Why?

I'm really interested in the Dyson product now. But apart from that, when it comes time to buy one for myself, I was already thinking brands like AEG, ASKO, BOSCH etc..

Bruno

#122398 - 22/10/2002 21:26 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Oh my goodness, it's even right here, in non-MSTed form...

rtsp://pewter.propagation.net/retrorama/design.rm

#122399 - 22/10/2002 21:37 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: hybrid8]
number6
old hand

In reply to:

didn't look at the site yet, and the dish washer sounds really cool. The washing machine on the other hand doesn't sound so cool. Top-loading? Ugh! Gasp. Why? Why? Why?

Well, I've yet to see a front loading machine that can do a decent job and not break down or take forever to wash the clothes.
I hear that they are supposed to be better in all sort of ways than a top loader but the F&P toploader has one of the lowest energy use ratings in the US, so it must be doing something right that the average front loader doesn't.

The other things is that top loading machines can generally take more clothes than a front loader.

Fisher & Paykel don't make a front loader, never have and I'm pretty sure they have said there is no demand for them to either.

In reply to:

I'm really interested in the Dyson product now. But apart from that, when it comes time to buy one for myself, I was already thinking brands like AEG, ASKO, BOSCH etc..

I'd get a Dyson when my old Panasonic cleaner dies. I'd get the model which isn't upright as those things are so hard to use around most houses.

I'd buy the Dyson vacuum robot if it could do three things:

1. Recharge itself when it got low on power
2. Climb up and down stairs.
3. Clean carpets as well as it cleans "wood"/polished floors.

What I'd really like though is a set of intelligent appliances like those in "The Brave Little Toaster" movie.

#122400 - 22/10/2002 21:51 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
This dishwasher would probably be kitchen equivalent of the Empeg for your kitchen in terms of features and design.

Ummmmm, no. That would be Juliette Binoche.

/me ducking... bigtime...

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#122401 - 23/10/2002 03:20 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: jimhogan]
number6
old hand

In reply to:

Ummmmm, no. That would be Juliette Binoche

Well, let me ask you this question:
Can I [legally] buy a Juliette Binoche?

If no, then obviously it is not in the same class as a Empeg or DishDrawer is it?

if yes, then where can I get one?

#122402 - 23/10/2002 08:14 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
My parents have the Neptune washer/dryer (by GE, I think). They're both front-loading and I can attest to them being far better than top-loading washing machines. They just do a better job IMO.

Plus, my dad's a gadget freak too, so he got the version with the LCD screen. Talk about empeg-esque appliances! You can choose all your presets and stuff, and also program it to was your clothes at a certain time. So for example, if there's a certain time of the day when your water rates are lower, you can program it to wash then. They really are cool gadgets

#122403 - 23/10/2002 08:22 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Actually, doesn't that dishwasher seem really small to you? Basically you're saying you can store all your dishes in one drawer, otherwise your theory wouldn't work. I couldn't fit all my dishes in one of those things. I just dont see the thing as being very practical, but maybe that's just me.

Oh, and their site needs some work. On the initial page, where it asks you for your country/region, the dropdown box appears way off to the left, so when your mouse leaves to select something, it disapears. At least it does on my machine.

#122404 - 23/10/2002 08:23 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: Dignan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Plus, my dad's a gadget freak too, so he got the version with the LCD screen.

Oh, that might have been the thing I was thinking of. (Neptune not Saturn...)

Peter

#122405 - 23/10/2002 09:15 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

If not, then obviously it is not in the same class as a Empeg or DishDrawer is it?

Well, all of my hopeless fantasies are, by definition, free or even cash-flow positive!

You'll be interested to know that the upgraded version of this pipedream -- the Lotto-funded Juliette V2.0 (tm) -- includes 2 of these dishwashers (single units side-by-side) so that Julie and I don't hurt our backs!

#122406 - 23/10/2002 09:43 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
    They're both front-loading and I can attest to them being far better than top-loading washing machines. They just do a better job IMO.
Can you define or qualify ``a better job''? Were your clothes not getting clean before?

#122407 - 23/10/2002 09:53 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Haha, well, it's a pretty subjective thing, I think. I can't really describe it, but clothes just tur out nicer out of those things. It could just be that they're nicer machines so automatically they're of a higher quality, but I definitely get that nice fresh feeling from them

#122408 - 23/10/2002 13:36 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: Dignan]
number6
old hand

In reply to:

Actually, doesn't that dishwasher seem really small to you? Basically you're saying you can store all your dishes in one drawer, otherwise your theory wouldn't work. I couldn't fit all my dishes in one of those things. I just dont see the thing as being very practical, but maybe that's just me.

The drawers are pretty "deep" both front to back and height wise. Most dishwashers have 2 "levels", the lower level is taller and is for the plates, pots and bigger items, the upper rack is for more delicate/heat sensitive things [like some plastic items etc].

Each DishDrawer drawer is about the same dimensions as the lower level on most dish washers, and it holds the same or more dishes than the lower level on most dishwashers.
I think it has some internal racking in each drawer as well for smaller items.

So you get the about 70% or so of the "capacity" of a regular dishwasher in each drawer, with 2 of them, thats actually more washing capability than most dishwashers have - in the same "space"

Also, for single folks/geeks you don't have to wait for it to fill up as you would with a normal dishwasher (to save water etc) - just do a wash whenever theres "enough" in there - which could be all your dishses that you own, or only a few plates and stuff - you tell it that its not a full load if its not (via softtouch buttons) and it will reduce the water usage accordingly.

Washing smaller lots, more often, is a common technique - called "reducing your batch size to increase throughput".

Think of it as a Empeg like product - its not until you have one or get to play with one for a while that you can really "get it".

The controls are all electronic, protected/recessed behind/under the plastic surface of the the drawers (on the inside of the drawer) - so you do all the programming of the wash etc then shut the drawer to make it start washing.

In reply to:

Oh, and their site needs some work. On the initial page, where it asks you for your country/region, the dropdown box appears way off to the left, so when your mouse leaves to select something, it disapears. At least it does on my machine.

I noticed a couple of flaws too - send their Webmaster a email outlining your issues - I'm sure they will fix it - hey if you give them enough feedback, they may give you a free dish washer!

#122409 - 23/10/2002 14:06 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Also, for single folks/geeks you don't have to wait for it to fill up as you would with a normal dishwasher (to save water etc) - just do a wash whenever theres "enough" in there - ....

My Juliette joshing aside, I am totally with you on this. If I came into some serious funds and was fitting out a place, I would take 2 of these over a standard washer for all the reasons you point out. And, yes, I'd put 'em side by side up high, maybe with pan storage or trash bins below.

Think of it as a Empeg like product - its not until you have one or get to play with one for a while that you can really "get it".

I got it. Why did I alienate all of my rich uncles as a child?

#122410 - 23/10/2002 14:50 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
Sad I know, but I've wanted one of those dishwashers since I first saw it on TV. F&P are way ahead of most other kitchen appliance manufacturers. Unfortunately they don't appear to sell their washing machines in the UK

There is a front loader, but it appears to be a Bosh rebrand.

#122411 - 23/10/2002 16:43 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: David]
number6
old hand

In reply to:

Sad I know, but I've wanted one of those dishwashers since I first saw it on TV.

Sad I know, I wanted a Empeg MP3 player the moment I saw it on your website.
Only difference is that I bought 2 of them at full price! [cost me much more than a pair of dishdrawers would have].

But - I'd take my Empegs over a dishwasher anyday (even a F&P Dishdrawer).
So hats off to you guys.

In reply to:

F&P are way ahead of most other kitchen appliance manufacturers.

You can say that again.

I toured the production line where they make the fridges and washing machines for Australia & New Zealand, back in the early 1990's - F&P had flexible manufacturing done to a tee back then - every single product that was made was different from the previous product on the same production line, and from the one that followed it.

They had everything linked up and computer controlled so that the exact right parts were to hand for the assemblers as each product was assembled.
The electronic boards are made in a nearby F&P plant and delivered Just in time as are the other components.

In reply to:

Unfortunately they don't appear to sell their washing machines in the UK

You are correct, it appears that they do not sell their top loading Washing Machines in the UK - probably as Top Loaders are a small part of the UK market.
But there is a change afoot in this area.

See the email I sent you on this point.

#122412 - 24/10/2002 17:41 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: David]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Mmm, you can definitely get them in Dublin; I remember drooling over the drawer-style dishwasher in a department store there last year & I'm sure I spotted the washing machine too. Given that NZ is 230v (I think) I don't really see the issues!

The things you do on holiday, eh?

Hugo

#122413 - 24/10/2002 18:31 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: altman]
number6
old hand

In reply to:

Mmm, you can definitely get them in Dublin; I remember drooling over the drawer-style dishwasher in a department store there last year & I'm sure I spotted the washing machine too. Given that NZ is 230v (I think) I don't really see the issues!

You can get the DishDrawers in the Uk [and I suppose, by implication/observation, Ireland].

F&P, do sell washing machines in the UK, just not the top loader ones they sell here [they are rebranded/OEM'd models from European makers].
They will sell the top loader soon though I am told.

We are technically 240 volt [not 230], but for all intents and purposes 'its the same'.

#122414 - 25/10/2002 01:39 Re: Time Magazine Dream Kitchen Article [Re: number6]
rob
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge UK
I haven't seen a top loader in the UK in twenty years. That will be an interesting marketing challenge!

Rob

#122415 - 27/10/2002 15:48 F & P endorsement [Re: number6]
mail2mm
journeyman

Loc: Wyoming and New Zealand
I am a Wyoming, USA boy who ended up sailing to New Zealand, liking it very much and now live in NZ most of the year. When it came to purchasing appliances F& P seemed a popular choice but Australian, European and U.S. brands were also available. My provincial nature started to take hold as I wondered if a New Zealand company like Fisher & Paykel could possible measure up to the U.S. brands I had used and grown up with like Maytag and General Electric?

After more than ten years of using my F & P washer, dryer and dishwasher I can answer that with a resounding YES! They are good, reliable and energy efficient. The use of the direct drive motor without needing a belt is a great innovation. The electronic controls are sophisticated but with a nice simple interface.

The F & P service people must be just as lonely as the Maytag repairmen. I once called with a question or two and after receiving a satisfactory answer on the first call I received three more follow up calls and a letter. I finally had to tell them, "Please, I am a happy camper. You do not have to call again!"

Happy with New Zealand and its appliances.

Michael