Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#137257 - 25/01/2003 17:23 Creating DVD videos
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Okay, now that I'm all set up, I'm having trouble burning DVD videos for playing on a standalone player.

For one thing, the software that came with the Sony DRU500A burner is pretty bad. MyDVD appears to have a myriad of bugs, and even when I get it to run, I get an error when trying to save my work, and the thing won't let me burn unless I save. So that program was removed.

Nero, I'm sure, would be good for what I want to do, but it tells me I need "compatible vob, ifo, and bup files" to create a video DVD. The problem is I don't know how to make those from a file that's already on my computer. Say I have an mpg file. How do I get it to vob? I've only done that from a DVD before.

#137258 - 25/01/2003 17:47 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
RobotCaleb
pooh-bah

Loc: Austin
rather than explaining myself
first click here
then click here

#137259 - 26/01/2003 08:10 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

Yes, I had this same newbie problem last month. Forget Nero for standalone players, its too much hassle.

You need to convert the file you have to DVD mpeg2 format. Use Tmpegenc for this. The reason MyDVD is crashing is because its recoding all your files and it takes HOURS! So it may only seem like its crashing.

If you need any help on this and tweaking the settings for tmpgenc, just pm me. Once you have converted the files, MyDVD will be perfect, trust me. Give it another chance!

And... I was getting problems burning discs on that same recorder. make sure you have the latest firmware, this helps.

Cheers

#137260 - 26/01/2003 11:17 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

No, that wasn't what MyDVD was doing. It has a lot of other problems besides crashing. Like I said, it immediately had an error when I tried to save my project, and there were so many other bugs that I just ditched it. It's a really crappy program.

I should have checked out vcdhelp in the first place. D'oh!

I knew about the mpeg2 bit, but TMPEGenc doesn't have mpeg2 encoding for free for long. I'll just capture the video again.

#137261 - 26/01/2003 11:30 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

I got TmpgEnc and it converts perfectly - just use the DVD format and it'll convert to mpeg2.

#137262 - 26/01/2003 13:54 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I got TmpgEnc and it converts perfectly

Was that less than 30 days ago?

#137263 - 26/01/2003 14:00 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

It was actually 33 days ago. I'm new to this too!

#137264 - 26/01/2003 14:14 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Well I only ask because that's supposedly when the trial on the MPEG2 runs out. I guess it's one of those ones where the threat doesn't actually get lived out.

Okay, now I'm having some other problems. Maybe you can help me with this one, Hybrid8. I'm trying to capture video with my AIW 9700. I'm having three major problems with this.
First off, I'm using the composite inputs to go from my camcorder.

1) the sound will not come out through the left channel. I can only get it to come out of the right speakers. I've captured a few videos using the TV program, and no sound comes out of the left speakers while recording or when I play the file back. I've plugged the camera into my TV using the same cables, and I get sound out of both L and R. The problem has to be somewhere in the ATI hardware or software, or in the audio settings for my onboard sound, which all look okay to me.

2) When I record in MPEG2, I play the file back and have this high pitched squeal. Just one loooong beep throughout the whole file. However, if I choose where on the seek bar I want to play, it usually disapears. Is this problem with WMP not being able to play MP2 files, or something else? I tried capturing in MPEG1 and didn't have the problem.

3) Louder! I need to get the sound louder! This was a problem with the last AIW card I had. The card seems to make everything you record much quieter than the source. I have the Line-in level at max and It's still very quiet. Bruno, I'd suggest to whomever it is that works on these products that they at least include some way to raise the volume level. It's quite annoying.

So those are the main things blocking my ability to capture anything right now. Any solutions?

#137265 - 27/01/2003 12:38 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I'm sorry, all this frustration was worked out, and was of no fault of anything related to ATI

It turns out that the onboard audio line-in I was using was bad. I don't know, maybe the plug blew or something, but it was quite messed up. I just installed a 5+ year old Ensoniq sound card today, and it's working perfectly.

#137266 - 27/01/2003 17:10 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: CrackersMcCheese]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Okay, since I had no other program for creating DVD videos, I tried giving MyDVD another chance. The problem? Same as it was before. When I try to save my work, it gives me a parameter error. I wouldn't mind this as much, but it doesn't let you burn anything without saving, effectively making the program completely usless.

The funny part is I tried visiting their site and going to get help on their forum. What's so funny? I run into another catch 22 there. It's one of those annoying forums that doesn't let you view anything unless you register. Then when I try to register, there is an error saying that their site's smtp server is down. What a crappy company.

Does anyone know of a better program for DVD video creation? One that works correctly is preferable.

#137267 - 27/01/2003 17:21 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US

#137268 - 27/01/2003 17:26 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I don't think a little thing like a DVD burning program is going to get me to switch to Apple computers

#137269 - 27/01/2003 17:42 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
All I can say is that you'd be done by now.

``A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.'' -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

#137270 - 27/01/2003 19:40 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Good thing I didn't finish reading the whole message. I was nearly half way when I decided to check out your other messages first. But it didn't sound like an ATI problem as I was reading.

Did you update your software to Catalyst 3? You should still keep the WDM drievrs from the CD if they're newer than those on the site. But I think there should be newer ones. I just brought home a new beta of the entire MMC package and drivers. I may install it tonight but maybe only tomorrow. TV recording and usage seems to work for me - I have an AIW9700 in a Shuttle SS51G system.

I have yet to finish reading the thread... Fluke I read it tho. If you ever need me to check out a thread, please feel free to PM me. I dont read as often as I used to and I am usually very picky about which threads to check out. No time anymore. Tonight I have a bit of time because I'm stranded at home. I actually needed to go out, but the doors on my car (locks) are frozen solid (had my car washed at work this afternoon and it's brutally cold outside - must have frozen up after I got home). My GF is coming over so I'll have a way to get to work tomorrow if I can't open the doors in the morning. Aaarrrrrgh.

There are likely to be a ton of typos in this message. I'm using an IR keyboard, sitting on my couch. The keyboard is just balanced on my leg right now and the receiver isn't positioned optimally right now.

Bruno

#137271 - 27/01/2003 19:40 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: wfaulk]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

I would think it would be more foolish to buy a new computer just after buying one already. That and the operating system is not compatable with me.

Besides, I downloaded Ulead's DVD maker and it worked pretty well. I'll try a few others though. After all, there's more than one program available for the PC

#137272 - 27/01/2003 19:45 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: hybrid8]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Ha, thanks anyway! No, it wasn't an ATI problem. I did have a problem with low volume levels on my original AIW Radeon, but now that I installed the new (old) soundcard, I have to keep the line input volume pretty low so it won't distort! Needless to say I was pretty suprised when my problems were solved by installing a 5+ year old, second party sound card that came with a computer from my father's office. The sound quality is even better now.

I looked into updating the Catlyst software, but decided not to since the version number difference was so small. But thanks for checking in No need to read the rest of the thread

#137273 - 27/01/2003 19:52 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Check out Pinnacle's software...

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/ProductPage.asp?Product_ID=603&Langue_ID=7

I've heard good things about it. The first thing I heard, was that it was what iDVD was based on. Go figure.

iDVD isn't bad but it does have some annoying limitations. I suppose anything made to be this easy will though. Just waiting to check out the improvements in version 3 - a friend is making a DVD of the video and photos we shot while in San Fran earlier this month at Macworld.

BTW, the SONY recorder (from what I've been told) has had its production suspended pending some fixes to high speed recording problems. I was very lose to buying one lst week. I'm glad they weren't available though. Saved me a few hundred dollars - I didn't need a DVD recorder yet. Just CDRW. So I bought a new Yamaha CRW-F1 and am now waiting for a new aluminum Firewire case for it (the retail Yamaha firewire solution would cost over $100 more than putting it into a case myself).

Bruno

#137274 - 28/01/2003 03:38 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: Dignan]
CrackersMcCheese
pooh-bah

ULead DVD Factory?

#137275 - 28/01/2003 05:45 Re: Creating DVD videos [Re: hybrid8]
Half_Geek

Loc: Stratdord-upon-Avon, UK
I've just got Pinnacle Studio 8 (with a firewire card) after having seen Pinnacle 7 before. Version 8 adds the ability to burn directly to VideoCD, Super VideoCD and DVD. I've played with the VideoCD so far (my DVD doesn't like SVCD and I haven't got the DVD burner yet), and a "fake" DVD on the HDD, and it couldn't be easier. The editing software is nice and easy, and seems to have most effects (obviously not as many as the more expensive Premiere types, but then it was only £60 inc. the firewire card). Animated menu creation is easy (even for VCD). I think they can send out a free demo CD but I don't know what the limit is on it.

Depends how much you want to do with it...

Nick