Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#149387 - 20/03/2003 11:53 Membership Database
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I am the webmaster for my old college fraternity. Our site can be found here.

Soon, we will be moving to a different host, and I need to start thinking of how the site will be run. The biggest obstacle is that future web masters won't know how to handle the code that's on the site. I'm no web whiz myself, but most of these guys will be lucky if they know how to write anything in HTML, let alone understand what and SHTML file is or why I've used it.

One of the ways I want to make the site a little more automated and independant is to install utilities on it that won't require a future webmaster to know how to code.

The biggest one I need is a membership directory.

This seems to be something that isn't really available. There aren't really any on Sourceforge, and the one that was aimed towards fraternities and sororities isn't linked correctly or something.

What I'm looking for:
-Admin controlled
-MySQL
-has a field for images
-member types (active, pledge, alumni, faculty, etc)
-an email function would be nice, but based on member types or selectable users
-doesn't need to be integrated with the rest of the site (like member logons or whatever)
-and lastly, I need a system for "big" and "little" brothers. Every member has a "big brother" and most have "little brothers". I'd love to work in a system that would specify who each is for each member, and possibly have a way to link them all, thus creating a sort of family tree.

Do any of you know of a program that can do all or most of this? It would be a bitch to write (for me, at least).

Anyway, I'd appreciate any help you could give me.

*edit*
Here is the membership directory we have now, which uses the javascript that redbutt gave me a while back. It's a great script, but a bitch to change every time we gain/lose members. It also takes a long time to load for all those people.

Edited by DiGNAN17 (20/03/2003 11:56)

#149388 - 20/03/2003 23:53 Re: Membership Database [Re: Dignan]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
So nobody has heard of any such program?

Well, I had wanted to take a course on PHP or something. I guess they'll have to wait a year or so for this.