Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#157366 - 26/04/2003 20:20 Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!!
mschrag
pooh-bah

Loc: Richmond, VA
My Sony VPL HS-10 arrives Tuesday .

Order date = Dec 17th

I'm so giddy.

#157367 - 26/04/2003 23:10 Re: Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!! [Re: mschrag]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Curse you!

I assume you have a nice dark room for it? Did you get a nice screen?

I really wanted to go that route, but my house has too many windows and not enough distance to make it worth it.

#157368 - 27/04/2003 04:56 Re: Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!! [Re: bootsy]
mschrag
pooh-bah

We have a lot of windows, but I am going to put it up in the loft which is open on one side and has a window on the other ... I'm going to get blackout curtains for both, so I think i can make it work.... we'll see

on the screen side, I am going to get the projector, get it positioned properly, then buy a screen that matches the largest size I can get to where I'm still happy with the picture quality/brightness.

ms

#157369 - 27/04/2003 07:53 Re: Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!! [Re: mschrag]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
Congrats! Did you order from CDW. I can't believe how long the wait has been.

I had a HS10 in my house for a while. It's a nice projector. If you've never had a front projector you are going to be blown away.

If you don't read the forums at www.avsforums.com you should. There is a lot of experience there in getting the HS10 to look it's best. If you can control the ambiant light then a CC40R filter will help a lot with black level and maximizing contrast.

Very good decision to wait on the screen.

-Dylan

#157370 - 27/04/2003 11:41 Re: Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!! [Re: Dylan]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I had an outstanding order w/ J&R since Dec, but finally got fed up with reports of other people's coming in and switched to Cousin's Video, which seems to be getting a steady stream and it shipping within about 2-3 weeks.

Do I read avsforum? It's all I can do to not go insane -- at least I can live vicariously through other HS10 owners

What screen did you end up going with? I'm looking at the GrayHawk, FireHawk, and High Contrast Cinema Vision ... As with any AV purchase there are of course 50% who say each sucks and 50% says it's the hands down best ever.

I am going to be putting black out curtains up here, so I'm hoping I will be able to completely black it out.... I am going to be ordering all the necessary HD support equipment soon as well -- I hear it looks pretty awesome w/ HD content.

ms

#157371 - 28/04/2003 11:49 Re: Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!! [Re: mschrag]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I wanted to put my center channel behind my screen but commercial perforated screens are expensive and have potential moire problems with digital projectors depending on how the pixels line up with the perforations. So I built my own screen with Dazian Coated Celtic Cloth and I'm very pleased with it both visually and sonically.

While you are prepping your room don't forget the walls and ceiling. Ambiant light comes from more then just external sources. These digital projectors can light up a room if your walls and ceiling are a light color. I just finished putting up a black ceiling in my theater and the difference is amazing. The HS10 is already somewhat contrast challenged so it's especially important for you to reduce reflected light. That's the "magic" of the Firehawk - it reduces off axis ambiant reflections while reflecting white on axis.

Also, I returned the HS10 I had because of the lamp bug. I originally intended to get another one but during the long wait I started thinking (always dangerous) and looking at other projectors. I ended up stretching my budget to get the NEC HT1000. I'm very pleased with my choice but I still think the HS10 is a fine projector at it's price.

And, yes, HD content is fantastic on the HS10. I do miss the extra resolution.

-Dylan

#157372 - 28/04/2003 11:52 Re: Sweet mother of god ... my projector shpiped!! [Re: Dylan]
mschrag
pooh-bah

I also looked at perforated screens ... got a bit of sticker shock, though. So for now I'll have to have the less-than-satisfying center above or below the screen.

ms