Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#157387 - 27/04/2003 10:19 Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! Help!
lopan
old hand

Loc: Manassas VA
I just set up a Redhat box, I downloaded all the disks for Redhat 9, installation was very easy. Everything is running smoothly from a basic os standpoint.

Heres where we get to the point that makes me want to rip my hair out.

I'm following along with instructions listed here the only problem is I'm using old stuff I had lying around... one of which is an older model ATI all in wonder card. Has anyone ever installed one of these under redhat? Redhat detects it and it works great, but I need to install (from what I gather) something from http://gatos.sourceforge.net/ to make the video out, TV in, and other features of my card function, ATI linked that on the drivers page.

Here is my beef and my problem... I know nothing about linux other then basic setup. I go to that page they say I need xfree86 installed so after wasting an hour... I find out it's already installed... then they say I need CVS installed so I dick around with that for another half hour trying to browse my way to a download which is burried under 20 frickin pages of Q&A and legal disclaimers.... to find that it too is installed under redhat 9.... problem is I don't know where it is, how to access it, or how to use it.

If some kind soul has any links to the absolute morons guide for installing an ATI All In Wonder Pro PCI (rage 128 chipset), specifically the video out functions and what not... I'd be most eternally grateful.

#157388 - 27/04/2003 11:57 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! Help! [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
My guess is that you're trying to install the wrong thing. From the description here, it looks like it wants a Video4Linux interface to the ATI card, which would be provided by the km part of GATOS. It doesn't seem to claim that you need CVS, but that you can just download the source as usual.

Caveat: I have not even tried to install any of this software. This is just an educated guess as to the starting place.

#157389 - 28/04/2003 05:40 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! Help! [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Thanks!

More stupid questions now... Do we know if video4linux support is built into redhat 9? Or will I need to do that? It's mentioned in the notes that KM needs that.

I downloaded KM and tried to run "make" however it threw a bunch of errors and I'm honestly not familiar enough with linux to know if it actually did anything....

#157390 - 28/04/2003 05:54 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

My guess is that the errors are not directly related to whether or not V4L is in the kernel.

My first guess is that you don't have kernel sources installed. I'm not a redhat person, but do an ``ls -R /usr/src/linux'' and see if you get much stuff. If you don't get oodles and oodles of stuff, you'll need to figure out how to install it. If you do, post the first few errors from your make and we'll see if we can figure out the problem.

#157391 - 28/04/2003 05:59 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

Thanks, I don't have the machine here... but I'll be sure to post that stuff tonight...

#157392 - 29/04/2003 14:37 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

issued that command and got a bunch of stuff back.... my kernel stuff was in /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-8, I edited that in the make file, ran it and got a bunch, I mean a lot, of stuff that looks like this:

km.c:399: warning: (near initialization for `km_pci_tbl[71]')
km.c:401: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:401: warning: (near initialization for `km_pci_tbl[72]')
km.c:401: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:401: warning: (near initialization for `km_pci_tbl[72]')
km.c:402: `PCI_ANY_ID' undeclared here (not in a function)
km.c:402: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:402: warning: (near initialization for `km_pci_tbl[72]')
km.c:402: `PCI_ANY_ID' undeclared here (not in a function)
km.c:403: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:403: warning: (near initialization for `km_pci_tbl[73]')
km.c:406: sizeof applied to an incomplete type
km.c:408: variable `radeon_km_pci_driver' has initializer but incomplete type
km.c:409: unknown field `name' specified in initializer
km.c:409: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:409: warning: (near initialization for `radeon_km_pci_driver')
km.c:410: unknown field `id_table' specified in initializer
km.c:410: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:410: warning: (near initialization for `radeon_km_pci_driver')
km.c:411: unknown field `probe' specified in initializer
km.c:411: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:411: warning: (near initialization for `radeon_km_pci_driver')
km.c:412: unknown field `remove' specified in initializer
km.c:412: warning: excess elements in struct initializer
km.c:412: warning: (near initialization for `radeon_km_pci_driver')
km.c: In function `init_module':
km.c:425: warning: implicit declaration of function `pci_module_init'
km.c:420: warning: unused variable `i'
km.c: In function `cleanup_module':
km.c:432: warning: implicit declaration of function `pci_unregister_driver'
km_memory.h: At top level:
km.c:408: storage size of `radeon_km_pci_driver' isn't known
km.c:418: warning: `init_module' defined but not used
make: *** [km.o] Error 1

All this stuff was towards the end... is it installed? is it messed up?

#157393 - 29/04/2003 19:42 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

My guess is that it's expecting a different version of the kernel. You might actually need to grab CVS source. I can't describe to you how to do that here, but there's a tutorial of sorts on the sourceforge web site.

#157394 - 29/04/2003 20:42 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

I'll give that a try, thanks for all your help Bitt

#157395 - 30/04/2003 16:14 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: wfaulk]
lopan
old hand

OK, so I said to hell with the ATI card and used a Pinnacle video card I had laying around.

Next issue... this is small, really small...

Wrote the script described here
Everything loads fine except the last line "insmod bttv card=39" (my card is different then what their using so my card=39) which I can see error out during boot... big red failed...

Once booted I can log in as root and issue that command via terminal and freevo works great....

Any ideas on whats happening?

Also, I noticed during freevo playback audio and video aren't synced, in the article they said use a 1.4 ghz proc, mine is only 1ghz but I have almost 3 times the ram... is there anyway to issue a command or something to give freevo a higher priority?

#157396 - 30/04/2003 19:53 Re: Freevo Setup, and general Linux Newbie Woes! H [Re: lopan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Try changing insmod to modprobe in your script and see if that helps.

You can change the priority of a process by running it via ``nice''. Negative numbers will increase the priority.