Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#165545 - 13/06/2003 10:21 Star Trek Episode?
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
(I have looked through trekguide.com for this, but must not be doing it right...or maybe I am imagining things. In any event, hunting over 28.8 is wearing me down...)

Does anyone remember an episode in the original Star Trek that bears some resemblance to The 5th Element where there's an alien...and they fire photon torpedos at it...and the more they fire, the bigger/stronger it gets?

Am I imagining this? Anyone remember it and know the episode name? How. in the end, did Kirk and Company prevail???

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#165546 - 13/06/2003 10:50 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: jimhogan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Greetings!

The typical solution to this kind of problem would be anti-matter. The only specific episode I can think of off hand is where they blew up the space amoeba with anti-matter inside its nucleus...

#165547 - 13/06/2003 12:18 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: jimhogan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Maybe you're thinking of Day of the Dove where the creature gained strength the more they fought. Of course, it didn't matter if they were fighting it or each other....

#165548 - 13/06/2003 16:37 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

A similar episode would be Wolf In The Fold - the "Jack The Ripper" episode... But neither really involve weapons strengthening the alien antagonist.

#165549 - 13/06/2003 16:52 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: pgrzelak]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I seem to remember in Day of the Dove that, at some point, they shot through the big red blob and it strengthened, just not because of the shooting itself.

#165550 - 13/06/2003 18:04 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: wfaulk]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

In that one, too, the blob was hovering over an energy conduit (well, pipe) and it seemed to grow as well.

#165551 - 15/06/2003 23:20 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: wfaulk]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Maybe you're thinking of Day of the Dove where the creature gained strength the more they fought. Of course, it didn't matter if they were fighting it or each other....

Yes, I think this was the one. So, no, I wasn't imagining it. Whew! (old age, y'know. You start questioning your memory, your sanity....even your grammar!)

Thanks!

#165552 - 15/06/2003 23:26 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Maybe you're thinking of Day of the Dove where the creature gained strength the more they fought.
Yes, I think this was the one. So, no, I wasn't imagining it.
Actually, I don't think Day of the Dove is the one you were thinking of. Day of the Dove was nothing like that scene in Fifth Element.

When he said "the creature gained strength the more they fought" he didn't mean the more they fought the creature. That episode was the one where the creature fed off of the energy of them fighting amongst themselves. It was the one where there were a bunch of Klingons on the enterprise (perhaps put there by the creature if I recall correctly). They defeated the creature by getting wise to its scheme and laughing it off the ship.

#165553 - 16/06/2003 00:07 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: tfabris]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Actually, I don't think Day of the Dove is the one you were thinking of. Day of the Dove was nothing like that scene in Fifth Element.

When he said "the creature gained strength the more they fought" he didn't mean the more they fought the creature.

Ahhhh. And I do remember the ending where they decide to laugh. So it looks like I was maybe blurring the plot lines between reality (Star Trek) and science fiction (5th Element).

#165554 - 16/06/2003 00:30 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: jimhogan]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
So it looks like I was maybe blurring the plot lines between reality (Star Trek) and science fiction (5th Element).
No, I think there's gotta be a Trek episode like that. I, too, have the same fuzzy recollection. I could swear it was the one with the giant space amoeba.

#165555 - 16/06/2003 01:19 Re: Star Trek Episode? [Re: tfabris]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
There was one where they're trying to get away from some space Thing that's feeding from the power of the engines -- so the harder they try to get away, the more they're sucked in. Kirk, the genius, got them out of there over Spock's protestations by engaging reverse thrust. Not quite the same thing, but related...

Peter