Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#178119 - 07/09/2003 15:51 Mac Video: Crash Different
oliver
addict

Not sure how many of you have already watched this clip, but it’s still pretty hilarious.

#178120 - 08/09/2003 03:09 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: oliver]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
As usual with rants, most of what he's saying doesn't actually make sense, or even sound true. He just ends up sounding like a bit of a twat who is too stupid to even manage using a Mac. I'd hate to see him using a Windows box.

Macs don't shutdown completely by themseleves unless you've set a timer and a crashed mac will just display a kernel panic screen telling you to restart.

Click and drag resulting in shortcuts is completely untrue unless you're holding down a modifier key, I've never seen a dialog that warns that a program might 'lockup the system' and the 'update manager' (I'm assuming he means Software Update) doesn't involve any 'searching for executables' at all, you just click 'install'.

Clicking on a filename once and keeping the mouse button over it will result in the ability to change the filename, if you do accidentally rename it you can just use undo and you can't change the name of any important system files anyway because they're owned by a different user.

Files are just as undeleteable on a Mac as a PC and I have no idea how DOS allows you to 'recover anything that has been corrupted'.

#178121 - 08/09/2003 04:31 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: David]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
it's funny though.

If it were as bad as he says, we wouldn't be seeing that now.

this message was written on a Macintosh

#178122 - 08/09/2003 07:50 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: David]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
I had my own mac moments this weekend so the video was particularly funny. I suppose it's all in what you're used to. Once upon a time, after university, I was a true blue mac fanatic. I took my IIfx with me to my first corporate job when the POS PC they gave me didn't cut it. I was not so politely asked to get it the feck out of the building by the IT department when everyone else starting asking for one.

It was different and it was better. That's what I continued to think until this weekend when a friend asked me to upgrade their ibook from 9.x to Jaguar. Holy bejeesus, what happened to the intuitive interface? I first touched a mac in the 7th grade and was using and loving it within 5 minutes. This cute little laptop had me googling for more substantial profanity.

I laughed out loud when the guy in the video talked about click and dragging shortcuts. I did the same thing with a USB drive....twice. Drag the drive to the trash and the files disappear...repeat.

The registration screen for Jaguar that I couldn't bypass sent me into a fit. Not that the same thing doesn't happen with Gatesware but I had expected so much more from the mac that I so fondly remember.

Troubleshooting the DVD player drove me to absolute distraction. I put a DVD in and it doesn't do anything. I can't even find the DVD player to run diagnostics. Starting the DVD player software only gave me a "Not Permitted" message. Flashing the firmware required me to boot back into 9.x OS.

I had aspirations of installing a larger hard drive but I flinched when I saw that it required removing 20 plus screws and disassembling the entire laptop. (It's a clamshell) My Dell Latitude looked pretty good at that point.

Perhaps he is twatishly stupid and maybe I should be painted with the same brush but the video rang true enough for me to laugh out loud. I used to say that macs were good because they worked the way that normal people expected. Using that same standard, I have failed the normalcy test. Give me the blue screen of death any day.

Attachments
177020-ibook.jpg (63 downloads)

#178123 - 08/09/2003 08:59 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: Mach]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have that exact iBook (same color even), and I've had almost zero problems with it running 9.x, 10.0, 10.1, and 10.2, other than the fact that the battery needs to be replaced and it could use more memory.

#178124 - 08/09/2003 10:18 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: Mach]
drakino
carpal tunnel

The registration screen for Jaguar that I couldn't bypass sent me into a fit.

Command-Q will skip it. I decided I didn't need to reregister after reinstalling the same software.

For me, the only truth in that video was the program quitting problem. And this was with OS 9, where lack of memory protection brought the entire machine down. Until OS X, I never seriosuly considered a Mac. Now, it's all I want to run.

#178125 - 08/09/2003 10:42 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: wfaulk]
Mach
old hand

I'm sure this one runs the OS 9.x - 10.2 just fine too. Glub knows my friend was ecstatic when I gave it back to her. My issue and the above rant was more about the seeming inability to easily color outside the lines. I certainly can't hang with most of the folks on this bbs but I take a perverse pride in the little victory of taking a PC apart, upgrading it, and putting it back together with a minimal amount of cursing. The ibook caught me by surprise because I didn't expect it to be as difficult to upgrade and troubleshoot as a PC.

In being unfamiliar with the hardware and OS, I found myself in very similar predicament as the video...being brought low by a computer that I believed was more user friendly than a PC.

#178126 - 08/09/2003 14:00 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: Mach]
David
addict

Loc: Cambridge
Remember that the iBook is a consumer-level laptop, not designed to be upgraded by the average user, it's also not in any way a run-of-the-mill case design. A typical Dell laptop is business oriented and so being able to pull it apart and easily replace something like a hard drive is an important feature. Try upgrading the drive in one of the tiny Vaio laptops and you'll see that the iBook is a breeze in comparison.

#178127 - 08/09/2003 15:08 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: David]
Mach
old hand

I figured something was amiss when I had to track through a series of broken links to get any details on how to actually take it apart. Apparently the service manuals are reserved for Apple service centers.

#178128 - 08/09/2003 18:27 Re: Mac Video: Crash Different [Re: David]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
upgrading the drive in one of the tiny Vaio laptops

I don't know if my Vaio SRX87 counts as one of the "tiny" ones, but it's pretty damn small. Upgrading the drive in that is going to be a doddle.