Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#178417 - 09/09/2003 00:12 Strange file encoding
muzza
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
I've made a backup to CD of some graphics files, Illustrator, Photoshop, Jpegs, bmps and a few others. I can not read the adobe files properly off the CDs now, but all the other image files appear OK.
I've tried isobuster to extract the files off the disk in some type of raw mode but to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get these files back? They all come up with an message about text import options.
This is getting desparate.

Thanks

#178418 - 09/09/2003 11:56 Re: Strange file encoding [Re: muzza]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Please specify... Can you safely copy the files off of the CD onto a hard disk, or are they getting "disk errors"?

If there's nothing wrong with the CD drive's ability to physically read the bits off the CD and it seems to be truly just a file-format problem, then do this: Copy them onto the hard disk, then un-check the "read only" property for the files on the hard disk. Then open those. It might be that simple.

In theory, the files you copy off the CD should be the exact same thing as the files you put onto the CD in the first place except for that read-only flag.

(Note that I'm assuming a Windows system here. Microsoft, for some twisted reason or other, tags everything as read-only when you copy it off of a CD. )

#178419 - 09/09/2003 15:08 Re: Strange file encoding [Re: tfabris]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

The files read off the disk fine; I copied them onto a harddrive without any problem and unchecked the read-only tag; I extracted all the files using isobuster to the harddisk and they don't have the readonly tage set when this is done.
It has only affected the adobe files on the disk. Gifs and jpegs are fine but illustrator, acrobat & photoshop won't read the files at all.

this is the illustrator dialog which pops up when trying to open the file.

and then it hangs.
so there must be something in the encoding which is tricking Illustrator.

There was nothing different about this CD to the other 6 I burnt and they all work fine.

Attachments
177273-PSerror.gif (83 downloads)

#178420 - 09/09/2003 15:26 Re: Strange file encoding [Re: muzza]
tman
carpal tunnel

Weird. Unfortunately it looks like the files are corrupt.

It's thinking they're plain text so that must mean it's not finding it's magic number

#178421 - 10/09/2003 22:22 Re: Strange file encoding [Re: tman]
muzza
Pooh-Bah

poo. anyone got a serial of GetDataBack for NTFS I could borrow?

#178422 - 10/09/2003 22:44 Re: Strange file encoding [Re: muzza]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Must return the favor. Check your PM.