My word processor of choice is the old Lotus Ami Pro, v3.1.

There are several reasons for this, the principal one being that the program is small and efficient -- it does everything that I need/want a word processor to do without being cluttered up with menus and submenus for doing things like automatic footnoting of bibliographies or whatever.

Another reason is I have a lot of very complex documents (graphics, frames, tables, etc.) that won't export properly to other formats.

Anyway, my problem is this...

I recently upgraded my computer (new motherboard, RAM, video card, oh, hell, everything but the case and the floppy drive) including a new XP Pro operating system. (Previous OS was Win 98)

Ami Pro is an old 16-bit program written originally for Windows 3.0. It worked in Win 3.0, Win 3.1, Win 95, Win 98. It isn't happy in Win 2K, but it will work there if I set the shortcut to "Run in Separate Memory".

It works better in XP than in Win 2K -- in fact, the only problem I have is with the mouse: the scroll wheel won't scroll in Ami Pro. It scrolls in all my other programs, just not that one.

The mouse is a Microsoft optical wheel mouse (not wireless) using the default driver that came in Windows XP. I don't know what driver I used with my old Win 98 system.

I am not really eager to start downloading and installing drivers in an experiment to find one that will work. I know from bitter experience that you can really screw up a computer that way, and right now my system is absolutely rock solid and I don't want to take a chance on wrecking it.

Any ideas about what to do?

tanstaafl.