Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#218828 - 17/06/2004 14:39 Is there such a GPS?
phaigh
addict

Loc: Reading, UK
Hi all,

I'm getting seriously into mountain biking recently, but I'm quite good at getting lost (very very lost). As a result I'm thinking of getting a GPS to aid my ability to get un-lost (!).

However, I'd really like a product that could show Ordanance Survey maps (1:50,000 ideally), because I'm mostly off-road using footpaths, bridleways and rights-of-way rather than roads (pesky cars).

Looking at the products that are out there, they all appear to use vector maps of roads etc, rather than more useful maps - is that true?

I'm generally cycling in a 50mile radius of home, so I don't need a massive map capability - just the local area, and the ability to load maps if I take the bike on the car somewhere else.

Does such a product exist? I'm doing a n umber of searches on Google and so-on, but I know that a number of people on here are into geo-caching and so on, as well as biking, so thought you might know or have some useful advice.

Thanks a lot!

Paul.

#218829 - 17/06/2004 15:33 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: phaigh]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
I don't think you will get it in a proper GPS unit, but there are a couple of add-on software packages for PDA systems (and notebooks):

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/

and

http://www.fugawi.com/

The main disadvantage is that the Landranger maps are raster and cannot be used for proper route planning, but as you know they are detailed and very nice to use.

Gareth

#218830 - 17/06/2004 16:02 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: phaigh]
genixia
Carpal Tunnel

Only thing I can think of is a GPS sleeve for a PDA. PDA costs extra.

I reckon that learning how to read a map properly is a better idea anyway. You'll learn much quicker when you are challenged to think about it rather than just watching a pretty arrow on a gadget.

One hint is to color copy and laminate areas that you intend to use - an A4 section folded in half to A5 will easily hold a 50 mile round circuit route. Obviously, keep the full map in a backpack just in case you decide to (or accidentally) leave the laminated portion. Many people get bothered with the unfolding and refolding of the map so neglect to look at it until they are well and truly lost - having a small laminate helps avoid this situation.

Another hint is to make sure that you have a compass handy. On a bike I'd use a small handlebar mount compass. Get into the habit of glancing every 100yds or so (or anytime you change direction). Soon you will build up an instinctive knack for knowing in which direction you are travelling, and also for being able to remember direction changes that you have made in the past mile or so. This _really_ helps when you get the 'uh-oh' feeling as you can recreate on the map where you really went from your last known-good position.

Of course, there is room for GPS in all of this - many GPS receivers have a "UK Ord Svy" datum that will give you your instantaneous location in the format that you can look up directly on the map.

#218831 - 17/06/2004 16:26 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: phaigh]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
That kind of thing is available in the US and Canada with Garmin's Mapsource Topographic maps. But since you're using words like "bridleway" and "Ordanance Survey," I can only assume you're talking about the other side of the pond. In which case, Mapsource won't help you. But there might be equivalents to Mapsource TOPO maps for the UK from another vendor.

#218832 - 17/06/2004 16:51 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: trs24]
lastdan
enthusiast

Loc: santa cruz,ca
I'm no gps pro, but can't you set your home as a way point and then use the gps to point you in the right direction when / if you get lost?

#218833 - 17/06/2004 16:56 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: lastdan]
trs24
old hand

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
I'm no gps pro, but can't you set your home as a way point and then use the gps to point you in the right direction when / if you get lost?
Yup. You can have your GPS track your every last movement if you like, showing a big long bread-crumb trail of where you've been. You can then always just turn around and re-trace that trail to get yourself out of whatever jam you might be in.

#218834 - 17/06/2004 17:44 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: phaigh]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Loc: The land of the pale blue peop...
My thoughts on this is buy a small GPS that is expendable and learn to plot a position on a map and buy from demon tweaks a Don barrow Romer which is a great aid once you learn to use it £2.50 that way you can put in your own notes etc on the map as if it is only 50 miles of your house then you don't need anything hugely fancy. Also when you end somewhere that isn't on any map then you can wok out how the hell to get back to where you want to be. Also consider one with a fluxgate compass built into it to help you out.

#218835 - 18/06/2004 01:55 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: genixia]
phaigh
addict

In reply to:

I reckon that learning how to read a map properly is a better idea anyway. You'll learn much quicker when you are challenged to think about it rather than just watching a pretty arrow on a gadget.

Yes I agree with this, and I'm not a complete nubbins at map reading, but when you've been biking through woods for 30mins and you pop out onto a road that travels left/right but there are very few other clues, it'd be nice to have something to fall back on. But I agree that overtime I'll get better at remembering where I've gone and be able to plot this more accurately. A compass will help a lot here, that's for sure.

In reply to:

Of course, there is room for GPS in all of this - many GPS receivers have a "UK Ord Svy" datum that will give you your instantaneous location in the format that you can look up directly on the map.

I think that this is the best option, having looked at the products - once I'm placed on the map, I'm happy, but sometimes it's not so easy, especially if you think you've gone a different route to the one that you have.

I always keep a map with me anyway, so having a gadget with a map isn't essential, just a nice to have.

Anyway, thanks for the input, I think that it's pretty much put me on the right track.

Cheers,

Paul.

#218836 - 18/06/2004 02:52 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: phaigh]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

Oh meant just use the map cords off the GPS by reading a map not follow it that is a pain to do.

I would go for the gecko from garmin as the garmins have always been good. And they think they all do UK map system

#218837 - 18/06/2004 08:47 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: thinfourth2]
phaigh
addict

Yeah, so did I. Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

Paul.

#218838 - 18/06/2004 10:14 Re: Is there such a GPS? [Re: phaigh]
thinfourth2
Pooh-Bah

but definatly get the don barrow romer they are an excellent piece of kit