Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#231123 - 19/08/2004 23:23 Crumpler Bags - Laptop / Camera ??
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Does anyone have such a crumpler bag? I know their construction is pretty good, but their website unfortunately doesn't have enough pictures of the interior of two bags I'm interested in:

Laptop/Camera bag: The Formal Lounge

Laptop bag: Sheep Scarer

I normally carry my Nikon 5700 with me day-to-day. I have it in a LowePro Orion Mini which I put into my normal backpack. I'd like to do the same with either of the above two Crumpler bags, along with my new 15" PowerBook.

I'm sure I can use the first bag without the LowePro bag, but I really want to know if I can remove the camera inserts that come with the Crumpler and stuff my LowePro into the bottom compartment. And then I'd like to know how much space there is inside the top part after the laptop has gone in.

For the bottom one, I really want to know if I can stick everything inside the main compartment. There seems to be only one retailer in Ontario and I still only know it's in Toronto, but not where. I have phone numbers, so I can call when I get the chance. Other than that, the next time I'm likely to be able to see one in person would be at Macworld in SF in January. But I'm not sure I'll get the chance to be there what with CES on as well...

Bruno

#231124 - 20/08/2004 05:02 Re: Crumpler Bags - Laptop / Camera ?? [Re: hybrid8]
mcomb
pooh-bah

Loc: San Carlos, CA
Quote:
Other than that, the next time I'm likely to be able to see one in person would be at Macworld in SF in January.

Don't count on it. I was recently trying to find any of their laptop style camera bags and tried most of the bigger camera shops in the bay area. I only found two places that carry their stuff and they where both sold out of all their backpacks. Have you seen these pics of the Formal Lounge that someone posted on dpreview a while back?

Anyway, I ended up with a LowePro bag because I couldn't find the Crumpler stuff.

-Mike

#231125 - 20/08/2004 11:29 Re: Crumpler Bags - Laptop / Camera ?? [Re: mcomb]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Hmm, actually, I don't remember seeing Crumpler in SF at Macworld last year. But I wasn't looking. They were in NYC the year before and had a few hundred bags at their booth. I do recall the people manning the booth didn't really give a rat's ass about actually selling anything or making any promotional deals (my GF wanted to know if they'd be interested in supplying bags to us (you know who I work for) with our logo added to them for premium purposes.)

BTW, thanks for the link. The pictures were VERY informative. Couldn't find anything similar last night. Now all I really want to know is if a laptop in one of their 15" School Hymn sleeves will fit in there.

Bruno

Edited by hybrid8 (20/08/2004 11:33)

#231126 - 20/08/2004 15:40 Re: Crumpler Bags - Laptop / Camera ?? [Re: hybrid8]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I have the rather massive December Quarter, while it's not really what you are looking for, I have found most Crumpler bags have lots in common, the build quality is amazing. I lugged mine around europe for a month with me, and it went every where with me (even the showers in the Youth Hostels!!!) and there is hardly a mark on it. All the inserts are removable which is really useful.

An important things to me is the quality of the zips, other laptop bags I've had in the past haven't stood the test of time but the Crumpler is hardly worn in yet

Just to give you an idea of the size here is what I fitted in...
  • Toshiba Tecra Laptop
  • Canon 300D
  • Sony Mini DV Video Camera
  • 3 lenses (2 SLR + Wide angle for Video Camera)
  • Empeg (in bag for extra protection)
  • HP iPaq
  • Bluetooth GPS Unit
  • Spare Batts for everything
  • Rough Guide To Europe Guide Book
  • Local Guide Book
  • Spare set of Travel Documents
  • Various leads (PDA to laptop, USB etc...)

...and yes it was very very heavy

Cheers

Cris.