Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232147 - 31/08/2004 03:20 Antique rifle repair
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I know there are some gun people on this board, and I thought some people might have the answer to my question.

We have some very old rifles that my father got from a family friend when he was a kid. One of them is currently sitting on a work bench in pieces (from an attempt to fix it up), where it's sat for many years.

Chances are, the piece is too rusted up to do much with, but I would like to get it restored and give it to him for his upcoming birthday. I don't want to get it in working order, just clean it up.

I don't have the first idea of where to take it to. Would any antique restoration business be able to do this? An idea of how much it would cost would also be nice

Thanks, as usual, for any help.

#232148 - 31/08/2004 08:42 Re: Antique rifle repair [Re: Dignan]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Most local gun shops would be able to reassemble and clean it to some level. It will not be fully restored or anything, just reassembled and cleaned. This can be done in a fairly quick turn around time, but that depends on where you live and the shops near you.

If the gun store owner cannot (or does not have time to) do it, I am sure they can recommend someone who can. Look in your local area for a gun store or gunsmith. Usually, any fishing or hunting supply or sporting goods store can also provide good information.

Full restoration is another matter entirely. This (when done right) can be done by a professional, but the wait time is almost a year and will probably cost more than the gun is worth. I do not think this is what you are looking for, though.

#232149 - 31/08/2004 13:49 Re: Antique rifle repair [Re: Dignan]
SuperQ
addict

Loc: Berlin, DE
A good friend of mine does some antique gun repair.. he does a good job, and probably could tell you what it would take to make it functional again.

#232150 - 31/08/2004 22:47 Re: Antique rifle repair [Re: Dignan]
lectric
pooh-bah

Loc: New Orleans, LA
A local gun range is also a good place to ask. Most of them have a repair shop in the back.