Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#232293 - 01/09/2004 12:20 1d10ts guide to VMware
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
It looks like I'm going to be thrown to the wolves (again!) and get to play with alot of VMware stuff.
Can anyone suggest some reading & hands on projects so the other kids won't laugh at me?

Thanks.

#232294 - 01/09/2004 14:25 Re: 1d10ts guide to VMware [Re: Phoenix42]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
First off, download the 30-day eval of vmware-workstation and play with it.

-ml

#232295 - 01/09/2004 17:50 Re: 1d10ts guide to VMware [Re: Phoenix42]
jimhogan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA, U.S.A.
Are you just going to be supporting Workstation? If so, then less to figure out than ESX/GSX products. Yes, download the demo, the manuals are good. What direction are you supporting (what OS on what OS?)

To me, the most (potentially) complicated bit is virtual interfaces and networking. The good thing (at least under Linux and probably Windows, too) is that you can rerun the vmware_config.pl script to your heart's content tor redo networking (bridged/NAT/host-only).

Have fun!

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.

#232296 - 01/09/2004 22:20 Re: 1d10ts guide to VMware [Re: jimhogan]
Phoenix42
veteran

Jim, at the moment I have no idea what I'll end up supporting, it is something my boss sprang on me this morning.
Corperate IS are planning on setting up a VMware lab , initally to see how much use they can make of it for their infastructue.
My boss feels, and I think he is right, that we should be able to apply some of the VMware tech to the systems under our control and outside of IS's and reduce a number of headaches - damn end users!

As for what OS on what OS, please bear in mind I working in the dark here, but for a number of systems I'd like to see linux boot from a USB flash memory drive and pull Win2k over. But for several reasons that maybe 2 years out - thoes systems are part of a big pie of which we're only one group at the table.

Other systems are more like restricted access desktop PCs, in this case again linux would boot up and get it on the network and pull down something from the beast.

Our setup is weird and fragmented, so this might make it a bit simpiler.

On the down side this means a lot of new work for me, but this is also a plus as I've been getting pretty bored recently - yemight remember my rant back in May or there abouts.

On the big plus side getting training and software will not be a problem, not because this is a Corp IS project, but because we bought the company last year (sort of like Victor Kiam) - so all these toys are for free - sorry no prizes for correctly guessing who I work for, but if anyone ever wants a factory tour just bring your empeg to the front desk

Mark, as soon as I can snag some hardware I'll be doing that so that I can get a better idea of how my group can use it. But mean time can you tell me what cool things I can do in a server-client set up? and what fun things I should look out for.

#232297 - 01/09/2004 22:30 Re: 1d10ts guide to VMware [Re: Phoenix42]
ricin
veteran

Loc: US: CA
Ok, no prize, but, EMC, right?

I actually was part of Documentum's move to their new building in Pleasanton a few years back.
ricin.us

#232298 - 01/09/2004 22:50 Re: 1d10ts guide to VMware [Re: ricin]
Phoenix42
veteran

Donato gets the banana.
Is it possible to send it via inter office mail?

#232299 - 02/09/2004 00:35 Re: 1d10ts guide to VMware [Re: Phoenix42]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Mark, as soon as I can snag some hardware I'll be doing that so that I can get a better idea of how my group can use it. But mean time can you tell me what cool things I can do in a server-client set up? and what fun things I should look out for.

Well, the basic stuff is you can run MANY virtual machines on top of one real machine, and none of them have to be using the same 100% unmodified O/S or O/S version as any of the others. That in itself is cool.

It's incredibly easy to set up, networking is instant and totally transparent, as is printing and most other stuff. The "vmware toolbox" is normally installed in the "guest" systems to help speed up the interface (replaces video/mouse drivers, and adds a few hooks for other stuff).

A virtual machine can be saved in "snapshot" form, and can then be reverted back to the saved snapshot at *any* point in the future, or automatically on any "reboot". A virtual machine can also be suspended/resumed without its consent or even its knowledge. Again, very cool.

Virtual machines can use real disks, or either sparse or full-sized virtual disks, on virtual IDE and/or SCSI "hardware". Optical drives can map to the real thing, or to ISO image files (way cool). Direct or emulated access for printer ports is there, as is virtual machine access to real USB devices.

And all of that is just the "Workstation" version. The server editions go beyond that, and make managing large numbers of virtual machines even simpler.

Cheers