Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#233758 - 17/09/2004 07:26 And then there was one
tahir
pooh-bah

Loc: London
The Ramones are going down like flies:

Quote:
Punk guitarist Johnny Ramone dies
Johnny Ramone, guitarist in punk band The Ramones, has died at the age of 55 following a long fight against cancer.

He passed away at his Los Angeles home on Wednesday, surrounded by friends and family, said the band's artistic director Arturo Vega.

Johnny Ramone, real name John Cummings, battled prostate cancer for five years.

A public tribute is being organised and he will be cremated on Thursday at a private service. The Ramones were one of the most influential bands in rock.

Johnny Ramone is the third member of the band to die in the past few years, leaving Tommy Ramone as the only surviving member of the original line-up.

Singer Joey Ramone, whose original name was Jeff Hyman, died in 2001 from lymphatic cancer.

Bass player Dee Dee Ramone, real name Douglas Colvin, died of a drug overdose the following year.

Vega, who worked with the band for 30 years, paid tribute to Johnny's devotion to the band. "He was the guy with a strategy," he said.

"He was the guy who not only looked after the band's interest but he also was their defender."

News of Johnny's cancer fight emerged in June when he was admitted to the Cedars-Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles for an infection related to the illness.

There was optimism that he would recover after beginning an experimental therapy treatment. But he died in his sleep on Wednesday afternoon.

Among those at his bedside were his wife Linda Cummings and friends Eddie and Jill Vedder and Rob and Sherrie Zombie.

Also there for his final moments were Lisa Marie Presley, actress Talia Shire, director Vincent Gallo and musician Pete Yorn.

A cancer research fundraising event was held on Sunday to mark The Ramones' 30th anniversary, with performances from the Red Hot Chili Peppers and Henry Rollins.

Writing memoirs

During the gig, a letter written by Johnny was read to the crowd by host Rob Zombie, who then telephoned him at his home live on stage.

Johnny had been working on his memoirs with the help of Washington Post reporter Steve Miller, telling of his experiences being in one of history's most influential rock bands.

"The Ramones never ever lost their image, their aura of being the ultimate underdog, the voice of the angry young man," said Vega.

The Ramones, who had hits with Sheena is a Punk Rocker and Baby I Love You, were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2002.

The band formed in 1974, with all the members taking the Ramone surname, quickly building up a cult following.

Although they were never commercially successful, their unique sound helped shape rock music and are often cited as inspirations to new generations of musicians.

"The Ramones had it rough," said Vega. "The band almost had to be protected from people who were taking advantage of them. There was never any money made."

#233759 - 17/09/2004 09:33 Re: And then there was one [Re: tahir]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
I know it's a very solemn subject but does Rob Zombies wife really call herself Sherrie Zombie? But you're right, I saw it on the news and thought they seemed to dropping off at an alarming rate.

Andy M

#233760 - 17/09/2004 10:04 Re: And then there was one [Re: andym]
tahir
pooh-bah

Who's Rob Zombie?

#233761 - 17/09/2004 12:51 Re: And then there was one [Re: tahir]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Who's Rob Zombie?

I believe he is a purveyor of popular music....

Andy M

#233762 - 17/09/2004 12:55 Re: And then there was one [Re: tahir]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Quote:
Who's Rob Zombie?

Count yourself lucky and don't pursue that question any further.

#233763 - 17/09/2004 13:13 Re: And then there was one [Re: tahir]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Gabba Gabba Hey! We Respect You, One of Us!

These guy were the best. I have Johnny's pick from a 1989 show at a bar called Saratoga Winners. An old converted barn with bars down each side. 16 foot speaker towers maybe 20 feet apart framed the stage. The band arrived 2 hours late as they'd been pulled over & booked for possesion of some weed. They rocked us for three hours and I had bruises on my chest from being pressed against the 4' plywood that fronted the stage/security zone. I'd never heard of them before going to this show with some friends. It was the wildest, most badass show I've ever been to (then and since). God rest.

-Zeke

#233764 - 17/09/2004 13:43 Re: And then there was one [Re: Ezekiel]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
Gabba Gabba Hey! We Respect You, One of Us!

I had bruises on my chest

I saw them at the Brixton Academy and a 20 stone (that's 280 pounds for you US folks) rocker decided he wanted to slam dance with me, I had bruises all over.

The only other band that was as much fun to watch live was the Damned

#233765 - 17/09/2004 13:47 Re: And then there was one [Re: wfaulk]
tahir
pooh-bah

Quote:
Count yourself lucky and don't pursue that question any further.

Too late I logged on to www.robzombie.com