Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#241195 - 13/11/2004 01:55 Best game console for kids
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
A co-worker cornered me to get my advice on a game console for his children because he knows that I play "computer" games. I don't think he wants my recommendations on games (Painkiller springs to mind) but I really don't know much about consoles these days. For kids (5-10 yrs old), is GameCube still the best for variety and quality of kid's titles or has PS2 broadened its selection in the past couple of years? Any opinions would be welcome.

#241196 - 13/11/2004 02:50 Re: Best game console for kids [Re: Mach]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Yeah, GameCube still has the most kid-oriented games. The Mario franchise is exclusively on GameCube for example. As much as I personally think I want an Xbox or a PS2, I'm still glad I got the GameCube for my daughter.

Super Monkey Ball is a required game, by the way.

#241197 - 13/11/2004 06:17 Re: Best game console for kids [Re: Mach]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Yeah, what Tony said. There are plenty of non-children's games, but there are a lot more geared towards them.

Warioware Mega Party Games is supposed to be really fun, too. And Mario Kart will probably be the most innocuous racing game you'll find for a child, yet it's without a doubt one of the best games you can buy. As they get a little more skilled, Zelda: Wind Waker will be pretty age appropriate. I also just finished Beyond Good an Evil. It's a cross platform title, but probably good for slightly older kids closer to the age of 10 you gave us. If you somewhat approve of fighting games (or even if you kind of don't), Super Smash Brothers is sheer fun for older kids, and like Mario Kart, is going to be the least harmful of the genre while still being one of the best.

I believe that type of thing carries through most of the Nintendo lineup. Yeah, they're not winning this console war, but as far as I'm concerned, the gaming experience you get on it is a pure joy.

And as a parent, you can be assured that your kids will never be playing GTA on it

#241198 - 13/11/2004 06:55 Re: Best game console for kids [Re: Dignan]
visuvius
addict

Well spoken. Definitely agree with what Tony and Dignan said. We just got my nephews (ages 5 and 7) a Gamecube. I thought they were still a bit too young to get a system but its worked out great. I'd start them off with some buttom mashing type of game where they can just get used to the whole hand eye coordination thing. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles turned out to be a great choice and there's a good chance you can find it used for cheap. Then definitely on to Mario Kart.

#241199 - 13/11/2004 11:34 Re: Best game console for kids [Re: Mach]
BAKup
addict

Loc: Houston, TX
Ditto on everyone else recomending Gamecube. And I have to agree with Tony, Super Monkey Ball is a must

#241200 - 13/11/2004 12:46 Re: Best game console for kids [Re: tfabris]
Mach
old hand

Loc: Texas, USA
Cool, thanks to everyone for the input. It's pretty clear that Gamecube is the right answer (and Super Monkey Ball!)