Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#242874 - 30/11/2004 02:29 What has gone wrong with my TiVo?
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Last week, my Series I standalone Sony TiVo suddenly became much less responsive to my remote.

Where before I could just press and hold the up or down arrow to scroll through selections, now I have to press the arrow for each cursor movement. And if I make any button presses closer together than about half a second apart, only the first button press will register.

All in all, I would estimate that the TiVo is responding to my remote at about 20% of the speed it did the week before.

Does anybody have any insight into this problem?

tanstaafl.

#242875 - 30/11/2004 02:41 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
How many SP/ARWL's do you have setup? Did you hack it to run TiVoWeb, mfs_ftp, telnet, etc....? If yes do you start anything besides telnet at startup? When was the last time you restarted it? I'm sure you've changed the batteries on the remote.

I know that the Phillips units have two different remotes one that is 16bit and one that is 32bit. The 32bit acts like what your describing, you don't have two different units in the same house do you?

#242876 - 30/11/2004 02:46 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Daria
carpal tunnel

Loc: Providence, RI
-batteries
-too many recordings in the database
-some other ir emitter nearby emitting "garbage"

those are the only problems i've seen

#242877 - 30/11/2004 04:38 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
fusto
addict

Loc: Lummi Island, WA
My series 2 tivo has always worked that way.
Very sluggish remote responsitivity (is that a word?).
Seems to be irregardless of battery state or number of recordings.

I thought it was "normal".

If you find anything out, please post!

#242878 - 01/12/2004 00:36 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: Attack]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

How many SP/ARWL's do you have setup?

Ummm... What's a SP/ARWL? SP = Season Pass? I have about 40.

AR?

WL = Wish List? Perhaps another 10.

Did you hack it to run TiVoWeb, mfs_ftp, telnet, etc....?

No hacks of any kind.

When was the last time you restarted it?

Immediately after it started this previously unknown behavior. Rebooting it had no effect.

I'm sure you've changed the batteries on the remote.

Ummm... no, actually. I'll do that tonight!

tanstaafl.

#242879 - 01/12/2004 02:46 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
Attack
addict

Ummm... What's a SP/ARWL? SP = Season Pass? I have about 40.

AR?

WL = Wish List? Perhaps another 10.

SP = Season Pass
ARWL = Auto Record Wish List

The numbers you've listed are around the range that other people complain about their TiVo's becoming sluggish, I don't know since two of my TiVo's have a cachecard and the third has only 7 SP's. If your not thinking about replacing the TiVo in the next year with a newer model I would think about getting a cachecard http://www.9thtee.com/tivocachecard.htm with even 256 megs of ram it helps.

#242880 - 01/12/2004 05:07 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
There hasn't been a software update for series 1 units, has there?

#242881 - 02/12/2004 02:02 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: gbeer]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

That was actually my first (well, second; rebooting it was the first) thought, I even went so far as to dig through the menus to see the software version, but there was no clue as to revision date, so that proved fruitless.

However, I did make an enlightening discovery.

The remote has a very sharp threshold for battery voltage. When voltage drops below about 1.2 volts (for each battery) then apparently it stops sending repeat signals when you poress and hold a button.

A pair of new batteries (~1.6 volts each) restored full functionality to my TiVo.

It looks like there is considerable current draw on those batteries -- putting my meter across one of the batteries would show a voltage drop from 1.6 volts down to 1.4 volts as long as I held a button down, and the old batteries would drop from 1.2 volts down to about 1.1.

Hmm... maybe if I put some 3 volt lithium batteries in place of the 1.5 volt alkalines, I'd really speed up my UI...

tanstaafl.

#242882 - 02/12/2004 02:29 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: gbeer]
Attack
addict

Quote:

It's been a very long time since series 1 SA TiVo's had a software upgrade. I know that the DTV TiVo's have an updated 3.x software but DTV paid TiVo for it. From what I understand new SA series 1 TiVo's is not going to happen since they went released the series 2 units they changed the CPU type and also had to changed the development environment.

#242883 - 03/12/2004 01:05 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Dude! You Rock! I'd never have believed that weak batteries could make the DirecTIVO UI go so slow. Mine's working a lot better now.

#242884 - 03/12/2004 22:22 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: gbeer]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
I've noticed that my Series 1 TiVo remote (Sony) sucks batteries dry faster then any remote I have ever owned. I used the old digital camera trick to make sure it wasn't sending signals willy-nilly and it wasn't. I am curious if you guys are using the original silver Sony remotes?

I now use my Pronto for TiVo use... I had preferred the physical buttons on the stock remote.

#242885 - 03/12/2004 23:59 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: bootsy]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
The batteries in my Sony remote are at least 3 years old and were installed at least a year ago. I know they're old because they're Toshiba alkalines that I bought at BJ's and I haven't had a BJ's membership for over 3 years.

I have 2 Sony Tivo remotes. I actually bought a replacement incase the original one broke.

#242886 - 04/12/2004 01:33 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: bootsy]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

I am curious if you guys are using the original silver Sony remotes?

Yes. Can't speak for gbeer, but I am using the original remote. Most of the lettering has worn off it now, so I have to go from memory to use it...

tanstaafl.

#242887 - 04/12/2004 18:14 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
bootsy
enthusiast

Loc: Seattle, WA. USA
Weird... So your remotes are not battery eating monsters then?

I've been having my share of recent TiVo anguish, but I won't hijack this thread any longer...

#242888 - 04/12/2004 22:43 Re: What has gone wrong with my TiVo? [Re: tanstaafl.]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

My SonySA remote is fine on batteries, but then its been demoted to sentry duty as a security recorder.

It's the directtivo peanut remote in which I changed the batteries. I suspect it spends too much time tucked into the cracks of the furniture.