Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#243784 - 10/12/2004 16:01 Another networking question...
ShadowMan
addict

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Hi again!

I need some assistance. I know what I want and I know of a way to do it using a computer. I am wondering if there are any standalone boxes that will do the following for me.

I have access to a network that has High Speed internet access. They assign IP addresses via DHCP to anything plugged into their switch.

My Network doesn't have high speed internet access but we have a wire between us that's waiting to be plugged in. My server assigns IP addresses to the workstations via DHCP as well as a gateway (currently a dial up device). I want a box to go between the two networks that has two network interfaces in it. I have done this in the past using a windows box and WinProxy but I would prefer to stay away from that route and go with a hardware solution.

I have included a drawing hopefully showing what I am talking about.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Rene

Attachments
243075-router.gif (106 downloads)

Edited by ShadowMan (10/12/2004 16:03)

#243785 - 10/12/2004 16:14 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ShadowMan]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
That's exactly what home broadband routers such as the Linksys BEFW11S4 do. Their "Network interface A" is configured using DHCP -- with the DHCP server usually being at the ISP -- and they have a "Network interface B" that you can configure yourself. (Often they have a four-port switch on B. And they usually have a DHCP server for the B-side built-in.) You might have to configure a manual IP address (not DHCP) on network interface B, but the rest of the 10.x.y.z network can still use DHCP, and apart from that it does what you're after.

Peter

#243786 - 10/12/2004 16:25 Re: Another networking question... [Re: peter]
ashmoore
addict

Loc: TX
As Peter says, using a broadband router is exectly how most broadband internet pcs are setup.
Do you want the PCs on the 192. network to access the 10. ?
Then you would need a regular router without the NATing that your average broadband router provides.

Funnily enough, I am about to switch out my Linksys for a 333 pentium running Mandrake Multi Network Firewall so I can do a combination of some NAT/ no access and restricted wireless routing.

#243787 - 10/12/2004 16:54 Re: Another networking question... [Re: peter]
ShadowMan
addict

Quote:
That's exactly what home broadband routers such as the Linksys BEFW11S4 do. Their "Network interface A" is configured using DHCP -- with the DHCP server usually being at the ISP -- and they have a "Network interface B" that you can configure yourself. (Often they have a four-port switch on B. And they usually have a DHCP server for the B-side built-in.) You might have to configure a manual IP address (not DHCP) on network interface B, but the rest of the 10.x.y.z network can still use DHCP, and apart from that it does what you're after.

Peter

That's what I thought, but I can't get it into my head how this would work. (Very limited experience so please don't get mad at me) The extra ports on the Linksys unit are not network interfaces in the sense that they cannot be assigned an IP address. (there are 4 and I see no where in the options to configure it at least and I think that if they were configurable to have an IP address each port would have a MAC address as well. Only the WAN port have a MAC address).

Would I simply turn off DHCP on the Linksys, plug a patch wire from one of the switch ports to one of my existing switch ports and point each workstation (via DHCP from my Server) to the IP (192.168.1.x) given to the Linksys by the DHCP server on the other network?

Thanks!
Rene

#243788 - 10/12/2004 17:00 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ShadowMan]
ashmoore
addict

no problem..
On the linksys you just enable DHCP and give it a range of addresses. You do not assign an address to each port on the back, it is assigned when a station wakes up on the network and requests one.

-edit-
You probably don't even need to give it the address range, it should default to a range in 192.168.0 etc

Edited by ashmoore (10/12/2004 17:01)

#243789 - 10/12/2004 17:03 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ashmoore]
ShadowMan
addict

Quote:
no problem..
On the linksys you just enable DHCP and give it a range of addresses. You do not assign an address to each port on the back, it is assigned when a station wakes up on the network and requests one.

The stations on the network are already being assigned IPs by my DHCP server. I want to point my workstations to the Linksys for web access.

#243790 - 10/12/2004 17:05 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ShadowMan]
ashmoore
addict

DOH!
Next time I will read the post properly

#243791 - 10/12/2004 17:16 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ShadowMan]
ashmoore
addict

After reading the post properly I will try again....

What is your switch on the 10. network?

For you to be able to get onto the 192 network, you will need a router such as the broadband router thingy.
Configure your dhcp server to hand out a default gateway of the address of your router for each of your workstations.
The address of the router whould usually be configured at the router itself rather than by your DHCP server.

#243792 - 10/12/2004 17:17 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ashmoore]
ShadowMan
addict

Quote:
Do you want the PCs on the 192. network to access the 10. ?

I want the 10. network to access the internet via the 192. network which is directly connected via a T1.

Quote:
Then you would need a regular router without the NATing that your average broadband router provides.

Please explain. I only want 1 IP from the 192. network so I can share internet access to the rest of the PCs on my 10. network which gets it 10. ip address.

Funnily enough, I am about to switch out my Linksys for a 333 pentium running Mandrake Multi Network Firewall so I can do a combination of some NAT/ no access and restricted wireless routing.

#243793 - 10/12/2004 17:18 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ashmoore]
ShadowMan
addict

LOL!

#243794 - 10/12/2004 17:23 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ashmoore]
ShadowMan
addict

Quote:
After reading the post properly I will try again....

What is your switch on the 10. network?

Just a 3Com 10/100 Switch.

Quote:
For you to be able to get onto the 192 network, you will need a router such as the broadband router thingy.

As I figured... and have done in the past using a pc with WinProxy.

Quote:
Configure your dhcp server to hand out a default gateway of the address of your router for each of your workstations.

Here's where I'm hung up... do I assign the Gateway address as the IP that the other network gave the Linksys (or whatever) router or should my DHCP server assign an IP to a port on the Linksys (which is not possible, and why I am wondering if there is a box that is necessary to use instead of the broadband router) and my DHCP server would assign that IP as the gateway address?

Quote:
The address of the router whould usually be configured at the router itself rather than by your DHCP server.

But the only port on the router (the Linksys that we are going with for this thread) that can have an IP address is the port that would be hooked up to the 192. network.

Hope I'm not confusing anyone here.

Thanks again!
Rene

#243795 - 10/12/2004 17:36 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ShadowMan]
ashmoore
addict

I think the only confused person here is me

Yep, a four port broadband router shoudl work for you.
A four porter will have five ports on the back. Four for your network devices and one to go back to the 192 (or internet provider) network.

Using your diagram, the Linksys will have two addresses, one on 192 the other on 10.

The (say) Linksys allows you to configure its own IP address and will pull all the DHCP info it needs to connect to the 192 network.
All you have to do then is set the default gateway on your pcs to match the address you have configured on your router.
The Linksys will then translate (NAT) your 10. network over to the 192 network.

Honestly, it sounds more complicated than it is to do!

One last thing, don't forget to setup the DNS entries on your 10. network!
I took the easy way on my setup. I setup my local network DNS server to refer to the ISP DNS server, then I didn't need to change my PC setup.

#243796 - 10/12/2004 18:13 Re: Another networking question... [Re: ShadowMan]
jmwking
old hand

Loc: Washington, DC metro
This should work:

1) get a $60 linksys/netgear/etc home router (or a wireless one if you prefer, just enable security).

2) the WAN connection (sometimes labeled "internet") almost always defaults to a DHCP client - leave it so. This will be plugged into the 192.168.1.x subnet, requesting a single ip address from their dhcp server.

3) the LAN side of the router will probably default to 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Change this to an unused static ip address on your 10.0.0.x subnet. You don't usually have a single port for this ip address on the router - it's usually addressed by any device you plug into any of the ports on the "inside" of the router. Connect any of the existing LAN ports on the router to your existing hub/switch.

4) if you choose to keep your existing 10.0.0.x dhcp server, change the settings so that it hands out the 10... ip address you assigned your router in (3) as the gateway, and disable the dhcp server built into the router (so as to not have dupe addresses on your subnet).

-jk

#243797 - 10/12/2004 18:47 Re: Another networking question... [Re: peter]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I've not read this thread as clearly as I should (so this may have already been pointed out), but if network A has the Internet connection and network B is the remotely-attached network, if you expect to be able to connect from computers on net B to computers on net A (or vice versa), you'll have to set up a static route somewhere, and that's probably going to be a bigger pain than it initially seems.

Of course, if you're not interested in direct connections between the two networks and just want to piggyback their high-speed connection, then that's not an issue.