Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#254220 - 14/04/2005 18:17 Wanted: RF or WiFi media center remote with specific features.
jbauer
veteran

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Hi there,

A friend of mine is looking for a remote that can be used to control his media center PC remotely. It should use WiFi or RF so that he can use it anywhere (ie: outside). He wants it to have a display which shows him a menu of items that he can play on his media center (MS Media Center, specifically).

Anyone know of such a device? What's the best one out there? I'm thinking that it's probably well implemented with a Compaq iPaq or somethin...

- Thanx in advance!
- Jon

#254221 - 14/04/2005 18:36 Re: Wanted: RF or WiFi media center remote with specific features. [Re: jbauer]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
I was about to reply with "Sounds like a PocketPC to me", but it sounds like you've already gotten that far.

The harmony remotes have a TV listing service which always seemed useless to me. I don't know if anyone's tried hacking it, and they're not RF anyways. Though perhaps it could be.

Really though, it seems like you're taking about a PocketPC viewing a php script. I don't know what kind of the windows media player in XP MC has, but it seems doable. Personally though, the usefullness of a remote with 3 hours battery life seems questionable. He's going to need something else for play/pause/channel/volume, and two remotes suck compared to one.

Matthew

#254222 - 14/04/2005 18:43 Re: Wanted: RF or WiFi media center remote with specific features. [Re: matthew_k]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
I was about to reply with "Sounds like a PocketPC to me", but it sounds like you've already gotten that far.

The harmony remotes have a TV listing service which always seemed useless to me. I don't know if anyone's tried hacking it, and they're not RF anyways. Though perhaps it could be.

Really though, it seems like you're taking about a PocketPC viewing a php script. I don't know what kind of the windows media player in XP MC has, but it seems doable. Personally though, the usefullness of a remote with 3 hours battery life seems questionable. He's going to need something else for play/pause/channel/volume, and two remotes suck compared to one.

Matthew

I think he needs something like http://www.sonos.com/ but without the Sonus mothership. The PocketPC must have this kind of functionality, and it already can have WiFi built in... Surprised that my Google searches have been fruitless as I'd think that a lot of people would want this kind of thing for their Media Center house wide controlling needs...

- Jon

#254223 - 14/04/2005 19:12 Re: Wanted: RF or WiFi media center remote with specific features. [Re: jbauer]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
This is all I could find, but it sounds like what you want if you go the PPC route.

Zerama

#254224 - 14/04/2005 19:15 Re: Wanted: RF or WiFi media center remote with specific features. [Re: Dignan]
jbauer
veteran

Quote:
This is all I could find, but it sounds like what you want if you go the PPC route.

Zerama

Cool! That looks like a potential winner! Thank you!

- Jon