Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#259206 - 28/06/2005 13:15 Wide shoes?
burdell1
old hand

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
I normally buy my shoes at Payless, so usually they don't last terribly long (but long enough.) I usually buy 10.5 wide. However, I have been looking in other shoe stores (not many, but a few) and cannot find the 'wide' sizes. I tried buying some 11's but they were too tight.....is this normal for places to sell wides? if not, do those shoe wideners work very well?

#259207 - 28/06/2005 13:51 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: burdell1]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
We must have clone feet. My real size is 10 or 10.5 but I'm often lucky if I can find an 11 that is wide enough. The only place I've found that reliably stocks wide shoes is Nordstroms. They have great service and high quality shoes but you'll pay for it.

For something cheaper I sometimes have luck at DSW (Discount Shoe Warehouse). I don't know if they are a national chain or not. Sometimes I get lucky and find a wide model in my size or at least they have enough selection that I find something I like that is comfortable.

For casual shoes, my brand of choice is Merrell. They usually fit well even in standard width.

#259208 - 28/06/2005 14:43 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: Dylan]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
For casual shoes, my brand of choice is Merrell. They usually fit well even in standard width.

I second the Merrell vote. I have a few pairs of Merrells and they are fantastic.

#259209 - 28/06/2005 14:52 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: cushman]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
I'm also a size 10.5 wide. New Balance makes wide sneakers. When I go to the store I just ask what New Balance sneakers do you sell the wide version for.

As for dress shoes, I get them at "The Shoe Station" not sure if it's a local store or chain.

#259210 - 28/06/2005 17:09 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: burdell1]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I have the exact opposite problem. I have narrow feet and un-width'd shoes flop around on me.

#259211 - 28/06/2005 19:21 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: cushman]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
Quote:

I second the Merrell vote. I have a few pairs of Merrells and they are fantastic.

Thirded, I love my Merrells, they're the most comfortable shoes I've ever had, which reminds me I need to buy a new pair. The only problem for me is getting them in my size, most places round here stop at UK size 11 and I usually need a 12.

Andy M

#259212 - 28/06/2005 21:28 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: burdell1]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I wear an 9.5EEE, which is wider than "wide", so some of these comments may not apply. You are probably an E or EE, or somewhere in between. I've struggled with this my entire life and become kind of a "shoe snob".

It is NOT normal for places to sell wide shoes, because the vast majority of shoe companys simply don't make them. This really sucks. For example, there a few Cole Hann shoes that I really like, but that company does not make wide shoes.

Shoe wideners do NOT work. What happens is that shoe upper is stretched, but the sole remains the same size, and fails to support the foot and the upper. You will "walk over" these shoes, which means that you will have a big blob of shoe over the outside (usually) of the sole. This looks horrible and the shoes don't last. It is also not good for your feet.

You shouldn't buy shoes that come in "wide". You should buy shoes that come in the proper width for your foot, which will be E, EE, or EEE most likely. The designation "wide" usually means you are buying a lower quality shoe, and shoes that are made on lasts almost always use the A-EEEE designation. Similarly, ignore people when they say that a shoe "runs wide". Maybe, but not wide enough for you and me.

Buying the next size up is not the answer. Its true that these shoes will be slightly wider, but they will be too long and the arch support will be in the wrong place. Usually you'll be getting shoes 2 or more sizes too large to accomodate the width. These are uncomfortable and bad for your feet.

If you buy a pair of high-quality men's shoes, they will last 7-10 years with care. High quality shoes are somewhat expensive, but they are definitely worth the price. You will actually save quite a significant amount of money in the long run when you buy more expensive shoes. Note that expensive doesn't mean high quality, but high quality usually means expensive. Avoid designer shoes. Also, shoes made in an "Italian style" are always narrow shoes, which is too bad, because some of them are very high quality. Ferragamo is the one exception. They make some excellent shoes and a few of their styles come as wide as EE.

Avoid glued soles; stiched soles are much better. Avoid rubber soles except for winter shoes. Glued soles and rubber soles usually can not be replaced when they wear out. If you buy a high quality pair of leather shoes, you can have it re-soled several times, saving even more money. Leather also breathes, and conforms to your foot, making them much more comfortable.

Allen Edmunds are considered one of the best shoes made, and they are very reasonably priced given the quality. Allen Edmunds shoes have a cork foot bed, which conforms to the foot and makes them a semi-orthopedic design. Allen Edmunds offers shoe rebuilding services which can make a 5 year old pair like new. I think these shoes are the best value in the clothing world.

Fortunately, Allen Edmunds also makes the widest range of sizes of any shoe company I know. Some of their casual shoes are only available to a EE, but that should work for you with most styles if you're able to squeeze in to a wide.

Expect to pay about $200-$250 for a pair, less for the casual designs. Their top of the line shoe, the Leeds Codovan, is about $400, which is less expensive than most of the good quality designer shoes. It is an amazing shoe, by the way, and can be worn with jeans or a suit.

Other companies that make shoes that will fit are Johnston & Murphy, White Boot Company (custom), New Balance. In fact, for athletic shoes our only option is New Balance, so forget about even trying anything else.

Once you get a pair of shoes that fits properly, you won't be able to wear anything else. It seems outrageous to spend $200 on a pair of shoes at first, but definitely try the Allen Edmunds.

Nordstrom was initially a shoe company and they have the best selection. They carry the full line of Allen Edmunds. Try on a pair of Leeds Cordovan if you want to see how a shoe should feel.

FWIW,

Jim

PS: If you can afford it, the best thing to do is to get 2 pairs, use cedar shoe trees, and wear the pairs on alternate days. This gives the leather a chance to dry from perspiration. 2 pairs of the same shoe worn on alternate days will last 3-5x longer than shoes worn every day.

#259213 - 29/06/2005 00:29 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: TigerJimmy]
cushman
veteran

Loc: Erie, CO
Quote:
I wear an 9.5EEE, which is wider than "wide", so some of these comments may not apply. You are probably an E or EE, or somewhere in between. I've struggled with this my entire life and become kind of a "shoe snob".

If you are ever looking for a pair of boots, Limmer Boots will custom make a pair to fit any foot size. They mail you a foot mold and then custom make a pair of boots to fit. I have a friend who has a pair and he swears by them, along with many National Park Rangers who typically get about 10 years of heavy use out of one pair.

#259214 - 29/06/2005 04:04 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: andym]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
most places round here stop at UK size 11 and I usually need a 12

You should worry, I take a 14!
You've obviously registered, but just to point it out to the thread, US sizes are slightly different.
Curiously, noting Todd's address, I've twice got shoes imported from the US from a firm called Minnetonka.
I've bought 3 Timberlands and 2 trainers in the US, over the years, with no difficulty, but here you get stuck, as you say, with size 11's. I used to go in to Dolcis on the offchance to be told "11 largest", but they would always have larger sizes at sale time, strange!

#259215 - 29/06/2005 11:27 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: andym]
g_attrill
old hand

Loc: Hants, UK
Outside of work I wear the same pair of Adidas trainers (sneakers!) for 99% of the time - the last pair was an impulse purchase from a sale Foot Locker in Covent Garden - was £69.99 down to £19.99 and they are actually still in pretty good nick.

I was recommended Merrell shoes by somebody recently - can anyone tell me about the Merrell "Chameleon Slam" shoe? It's on offer here for £45, or on ebay here for £40 (not sure about the red highlights though). Actually I've just seen they sell them for £60 at Cotswold and they have a store not too far from here - I might check the sizing first

Gareth

#259216 - 30/06/2005 02:36 Re: Wide shoes? [Re: g_attrill]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
All this talk of shoes finally reminded me to check the Sketchers web site. In the past they offered a slipon sneaker called the Gator. Comfortable, finished inside, and can be worn without socks. It's a seasonal style. They don't have Gators right now. Instead they have something called STAMINA - CHECKERS. They are basically the same except they have a much wider weave in the uppers. I bought two pair black and tan.