Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#262468 - 09/08/2005 11:10 New VW Passat
StigOE
addict

Hi all.

I'm planning to buy the new Passat stationwagon when it comes out and of course rip out the original radio and install the empeg. I'm also plannig to get the bluetooth handsfree-kit, but I haven't been able to find any information about wether (sp?) it uses an external speaker or if it uses the radio and car speakers. Does anybody know? Or does anybody know if there's a space to install it without removing the original radio? Glove compartment is out of the question...

Stig

#262469 - 09/08/2005 11:22 Re: New VW Passat [Re: StigOE]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
The sedans are already out. I will ask today when I go pick up my car.

However, if I learned anything in my years of dealing with VOA, they've sent out a woefully inadequate amount of information to go with said car, and probably won't get around to it until about 6 months after the car hits the showroom.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#262470 - 09/08/2005 11:36 Re: New VW Passat [Re: StigOE]
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I am the only one who thinks that VW have ruined the look of the Passat with the new version ? To me it looks more like some of the odd designs that have come out of Korea over the last few years.

#262471 - 09/08/2005 11:56 Re: New VW Passat [Re: andy]
Heather
addict

Loc: NY
Quote:
I am the only one who thinks that VW have ruined the look of the Passat with the new version

Nope. THe new Jetta is ugly too. The korean cars sold in the US look better. Considering they're not moving too fast here (if at all, no one is reporting good sales volume) a lot of people must not like it.

Then again, they've probably done something incredibly stupid with the bluetooth, like made it compatible with only 4 or 5 different phones.

"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." -Susan B Anthony

#262472 - 09/08/2005 15:14 Re: New VW Passat [Re: Heather]
Dylan
addict

Loc: Virginia, USA
I agree. VW's new styling is too Asian looking. It's too bad because clean European design is what appeals to me. Audi has the best styling across their line, IMO. I even like the big nose on the new ones.

#262473 - 09/08/2005 18:37 Re: New VW Passat [Re: StigOE]
boxer
pooh-bah

Loc: Yorkshire UK
Quote:
I'm also plannig to get the bluetooth handsfree-kit

Bluetooth hands free kits are so cheap and readily available, as well as easy to fit (especially for an experienced Empegger like yourself) why bother with anything that Volkswagen want to overcharge you for?
As a yardstick, if I can fit one, the average chimp can also do so!

#262474 - 10/08/2005 07:28 Re: New VW Passat [Re: boxer]
StigOE
addict

Quote:
Bluetooth hands free kits are so cheap and readily available, as well as easy to fit (especially for an experienced Empegger like yourself) why bother with anything that Volkswagen want to overcharge you for?

I know you can easily get a bluetooth "earplug" (and it wouldn't even be any installation...), but then you would still need to use the actual phone when you were calling someone. With the integrated bluetooth-kit, you don't... It uses something called SIM Profile Access (I think) where it copies your sim card and have its own keypad, so you just leave the phone in your pocket. It's basically a complete phone without sim card...

Quote:
I am the only one who thinks that VW have ruined the look of the Passat with the new version

I don't think the sedan look too bad, but I'm actually not too fond of the slanting (?) of the roof they have done on the stationwagon...

Stig