Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#265876 - 23/09/2005 17:01 And you think you have toys...
time
enthusiast

Loc: Pacific Northwest
found this link on digg (slashdot for the comon man ):
This guy has a serious number of toys... I've never seen a collection like this.

Warning, there are a LOT of pic's so the server is getting hammered right now...

[PS. This was posted linking to CoralCDN, a decentralized, self-organizing, peer-to-peer web-content distribution network.]

#265877 - 23/09/2005 17:20 Re: And you think you have toys... [Re: time]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Damn, for a while I thought I had him totally beat on Star Wars items. But I think he has more. I don't have any of the episode 1-3 stuff and I'm missing some trilogy stuff from the periods I was collecting in (and any re-releases since then). I also don't have the duplicates he has (I'm missing even one good 12" Stormtrooper and he has a small army ).

I also have a LOT of Spawn. Fairly complete first few series. But I gave up on that because I was finding that even though the sculpting was quite detailed, Macfarlane toys just couldn't come up with a playable figure to save their lives. Something has to look good AND be articulated enough and robust enough to also be played with. At least that's what I value.

My toy collection doesn't go far outside that in terms of "lines" - though I've also got most of the X-Files figures and then a bunch of mix and match stuff like mint condition Matchbox and Corgi cars from 1971 and 1972 (to replace the same models I had as a baby/child).

My girlfriend hasn't seen everything unpacked yet. It's all been in plastic rubbermaid tubs (more like coffins) for the past 3.5 years. Next house will see a large room dedicated to toys. Probably next to the home theater room which will also be next to the aquaria/plant room.

Bruno

#265878 - 24/09/2005 15:42 Re: And you think you have toys... [Re: time]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Who would have known, back in 1992 (?) when I bought my copy of Spawn #1 for $5, that it would become the marketing mountain that it is today. For over a decade, I've been kicking myself for selling it a few weeks later at what I thought was a nice profit; for $8.

#265879 - 24/09/2005 15:54 Re: And you think you have toys... [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Yeah. A comic book with plot and character development perfectly suited for a line of action figures.

(For the sarcastically imparied, that's virtually none of either.)

#265880 - 24/09/2005 15:58 Re: And you think you have toys... [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
For the record, it's still "only" worth about $8. This is because they printed a billion of them, and it was during the comics collector boom, which means that most of them were put in bags and never read (as opposed to the notion that comics usually become rarer over time because kids tear them apart reading them). Of course, the folks who never read them were probably better off than those who did. At least they saved themselves some time.