Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#270489 - 23/11/2005 22:58 Reinstalling Windows, please comment
TigerJimmy
old hand

Hi everyone,

I mentioned this installshield problem I have in another thread. I think it might just be time to reinstall Windows. I've been going over a year and a half on this installation. I'm convinced that the installshield problem is on my machine, and despite hours and hours of research, I can't figure out how to fix it. The most recent hypothesis is a corrupt installshield database or some bad registry information. I have no idea how to proceed besides reinstalling Windows.

Anyhow, I'd like your thoughts on how to go about doing this. I want to create sort of a checklist for reinstallation. I also have a few questions:

1. Is a reformat and total reinstall the best approach? If so, what things should I make sure not to forget?

2. I already have "My Documents" (changed the name) on another disk. "Documents and Settings" remains on the primary disk, however. How do I migrate my settings to the new installation? Is backing up the contents of the Documents and Settings folder sufficient? I believe this is somehow tied to username. What has to happen here? What exactly do I need to do to make sure that the backed-up data is used in the new installation?

3. Is there anything besides Documents and Settings that I need off of the primary disk before I reformat it (assuming that is the best approach)? Are firefox and Internet Explorer favorites/bookmarks stored in Documents and Settings?

4. Can you help me with this checklist:
  • Obtain all device driver installers
  • Create installed applications list and find the installation media
  • Backup "Documents and Settings"
  • Reformat and reinstall Windows
  • Install device drivers
  • Restore "Documents and Settings"
  • Reinstall Mathematica (installer does not work with SP2)
  • Update Windows to current
  • Install codecs
  • Reinstall applications

5. Since I'm starting from scratch, I have the opportunity to get my video codecs right from the beginning. Can anyone explain exactly what I need to install to make the various internet videos display without getting a raft of spyware on my machine?

6. Can someone, please, recommend an alternative to this drastic action?

The biggest part of this I'm unsure of is how the user settings are handled. I'm also curious if I'm forgetting something on my list.

Comments, warnings, suggestions and prayers are all welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

#270490 - 23/11/2005 23:19 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
msaeger
carpal tunnel

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
Firefox and IE bookmarks are in documents and settings but I also use the bookmark export feature for firefox and IE as well because I am paranoid.

What are you using for email do you have an address book and messages to back up ?

Matt

#270491 - 23/11/2005 23:27 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:

5. Since I'm starting from scratch, I have the opportunity to get my video codecs right from the beginning. Can anyone explain exactly what I need to install to make the various internet videos display without getting a raft of spyware on my machine?

6. Can someone, please, recommend an alternative to this drastic action?

DefilerPak
Real Alternative
QuickTime Alternative
If you want to play DVD's I would get WinDVD or the new nvidia dvd codec.

You could try using the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" built into XP. Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools

#270492 - 23/11/2005 23:33 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: msaeger]
TigerJimmy
old hand

I've used Eudora for years. That keeps a nice separate folder. Good thinking, though.

#270493 - 24/11/2005 00:15 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
If you have a non-intel motherboard (Via chipsets, I'm looking at you!) I'd recommend making a slipstream windows install CD with those drivers pre-staged, or failing that, make sure you have a floppy with them available.

This is double true if you don't have a second, internet connected PC nearby the newly-reinstalled machine.

-Zeke

#270494 - 24/11/2005 00:49 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
1. Is a reformat and total reinstall the best approach?

Always.

Quote:
If so, what things should I make sure not to forget?

Device drivers for your hardware, including things like the motherboard chipset and IDE controoler.

I am currently going through a reformat myself. My thing is, I always do two disk drives. The fresh new (usually bigger) disk drive is where Windows goes fresh, as drive C. The old version of Windows sits on the old drive, which I put on the secondary IDE spot.

Then, if I ever need to briefly reboot on the old system, I can swap controllers. But the whole time I'm setting up the new windows, I've got the old one sitting on the secondary controller to grab files from.

I make it all easier on myself in that every single thing I install: Device drivers, downloaded files and such, I always save in a folder. So when I set up the new OS, that old drive has got a folder full of installs. You probably don't do that, so that's not much help...

I also take advantage of this time to upgrade a lot of my downloaded installs. You know, getting the latest quicktime, getting the latest PaintShop Pro, etc...

#270495 - 24/11/2005 08:03 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
How do I migrate my settings to the new installation?

Investigate USMT, the User State Migration Tool.

It's designed to grab all of your configuration information from an old PC, and package it up ready for applying to a new PC. It comes with predefined definitions for Microsoft Office and a bunch of other apps.

Read more about it here.

#270496 - 25/11/2005 02:05 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
What about the "Files and settings transfer wizard" I've never had a need to use it. Dose it do what one might expect it to do?

Edit: ok it's for moving stuff from one computer to another, not preserve stuff across a clean reinstall on the same machine.

Edited by gbeer (25/11/2005 02:08)

#270497 - 25/11/2005 08:55 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: gbeer]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
What about the "Files and settings transfer wizard" ...it's for moving stuff from one computer to another, not preserve stuff across a clean reinstall on the same machine.

Yeah, the USMT stuff is the next (corporate) version, and supports both moving from one machine to another, and saving settings for a reinstall or upgrade on the same machine. It'll be rolled into Vista, last I heard.

#270498 - 25/11/2005 20:09 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: Attack]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
I'd suggest the K-Lite Codec Pack. Some of those options include Real Alternative and QT Alternative.

#270499 - 25/11/2005 20:12 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

One of the things I used to do (and haven't in a while) is to reboot the machine into Linux (though with NTFS, some Windows-based boot CD would probably work better), create a new C:\OLDWIN directory, move everything into there, then install Windows. It won't notice that there's already a version of Windows installed, so you get a clean install, and you don't have to delete anything. Just make sure you don't let the Windows installer format your hard drive. Then once it's installed, you can move data back as you see fit.

#270500 - 25/11/2005 20:30 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: TigerJimmy]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:

Use mplayer. I'm serious. The only codec I have installed is DivX. With that and mplayer I can play any file on my system.

If you're talking about streaming video, then also install the standalone Quicktime player.

#270501 - 25/11/2005 23:31 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: Dignan]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I never did like the idea of using a player capable of playing all the formats. I much prefer the codec idea, as it means everything can play it. Much like where on the Mac, a unified browser plig-in specification ages ago led to any browser able to do the same things, be it IE, Netscape, Safari, Cameo, Firefox, etc...

Plenty of codec packs out there that work well now. Usually I install one, along with Quicktime 7 (since I do use iTunes), and play everything through Media Player Classic.

#270502 - 26/11/2005 05:27 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: drakino]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
I thought Media Player Classic could play most files without the need for a codec pack.

I guess my problem is that I hate how Windows handles codecs. In the past I've had problems with conflicting codecs and others that cause problems in general. Then when I went in to remove the offender, I've had no way of doing it.

I prefer mplayer as a media player anyway, so it doesn't bother me.

#270503 - 02/12/2005 00:43 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: Attack]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Are there any free DVD playback codecs? Google only gives me spammy links when I search.

I'm trying to buy a CDR/DVDR software site license for work and DVD playback would be nice too. For the DVD codec, I can pay Nero $9/license or Roxio $12/license. Nero, my 2nd choice burner, is cheaper but Roxio, my 1st choice, requires a volume of licenses that I can't afford.

Bottom line is, cheap DVD playback for infrequent use. And I've been told I can't use the DVD drive's OEM software either. I'll have to read the licenses carefully.

#270504 - 02/12/2005 05:51 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: FireFox31]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Do you own an ATI or NVidia video card? Most any of the video cards in the past few years has come with a DVD license of some sort. Dig out the old driver disc it came with, odds are it has a DVD player, and at least for the ATI, a system codec allowing other things to use it.

OS X and Linux usually just have DVD playback built in.

#270505 - 02/12/2005 13:15 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: FireFox31]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
VLC Media Player plays DVDs for free.

#270506 - 02/12/2005 15:06 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: FireFox31]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

There's apparently a free Cyberlink DVD decoder available. I'm too lazy to look for a direct download, as I get it as part of the K-Lite Codec Pack (full or mega).

#270507 - 08/12/2005 01:07 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: wfaulk]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Thanks much guys. I'll check these out.

Drakino: At work, I have a pile of OEM driver/software CDs for different DVDRs I've bought over time.

I was told by a fast talking salesman at Sonic (Roxio) that some OEM licenses might not be allowed on multi-user machines or Ghost images. I'll have to read each license carefully.

But I am also reluctant to install 6 different DVD player programs. More variation to support, less consistancy in my work image. Maybe $9/DVD codec isn't so bad.

#270508 - 09/12/2005 06:32 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: drakino]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
OS X and Linux usually just have DVD playback built in.

OS X, yes. Linux, no. Or, rather, it depends on the distro as to whether or not it will play back commercial DVDs in addition to non-commercial DVDs. I had to go download libdecss on my own -- it wasn't packaged with the SuSE 9.3 distro.

#270509 - 10/12/2005 02:10 Re: Reinstalling Windows, please comment [Re: gbeer]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Quote:
What about the "Files and settings transfer wizard" I've never had a need to use it. Dose it do what one might expect it to do?

Edit: ok it's for moving stuff from one computer to another, not preserve stuff across a clean reinstall on the same machine.

Dang! I hate it when I'm wrong twice. The Settings and Transfer Wizard will support doing a clean install on the same machine.

There is an option to write transferred data to a removable disk, which can then be used after the reinstall to return the info to the new install.

The only gotcha is that the new install has to be the same or newer Service Pack, or the Wizard might not understand the saved data.