Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#272831 - 23/12/2005 02:53 Refurbishing my keyboard
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
I'd like to have my <edit> ancient Mitsumi </edit> keyboard refurbished since some of its keys are dying. Yes, I am crazy, but realize: This was my first keyboard, which I used exclusively for nearly 15 years. It has grown to become essentially an extension of my hands. Its every angle, keypress threshold, and clicking sound are as familiar as the muscles of my body. And besides, a royal treatment is deserved by any keyboard that can survive 15 years of use and abuse (including double fisted, full force pounding on keys and countless^3 hours of computer gaming).

Since replacement is likely impossible, it seems easiest to simply swap the failing key switches with lesser used keys. Or, ideally, find a source for the identical key switches and replace the majority of them. Unfortunately, I have no soldering ability or electronics parts finding ability.

I wonder, would anyone be interested in doing this as a paid service? Swapping 12 key switches with their lesser used brethren and fixing the Enter key spring shouldn't be that hard, right? Or have I really *really* lost my mind this time? I am currently typing on my replacement, the Rolls Royce of keyboards, one of my four original IBM Model M boards, and it's just not the same as my ancient Mitsumi.

Or is it just gross to touch someone else's keyboard?

<edit> Google found the FCC ID (EW43V6KPQ2479) in some huge list which associates it with the date 6/9/1988. 17.5 years old... seems about right considering I got it from a local system builder (who probably had it sitting around for a few years) with a 386 SX/25. Or was it a 486 DX/33? I think I upgraded TO the 486... Couldn't have been the 486 DX2/66; that was the stuff dreams were made of.

Edited by FireFox31 (23/12/2005 03:27)

#272832 - 23/12/2005 03:08 Re: Refurbishing my keyboard [Re: FireFox31]
matthew_k
pooh-bah

Loc: Berkeley, California
It's an IBM? Run it through the dishwasher. Should be good as new.*

Matthew
*No waranties, expressed or implied. Try this at your own risk.

#272833 - 23/12/2005 03:18 Re: Refurbishing my keyboard [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
There's a pretty active aftermarket of those kinds of keyboards. Have a scrape 'round Google and see if you can find someone selling mint condition IBM keyboards.

There are also aftermarket copies of that style of keyboard, specifically catering to people who like the IBMs. Don't have a link to one for you offhand, but anyway, there you go.

#272834 - 23/12/2005 03:25 Re: Refurbishing my keyboard [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Actually, it's not an IBM. It's a Mitsumi which looks generally like a Model M, but has some vast differences. Keys are shorter, board angle is lower, build quality is weaker, font on the keys is more bold, and most of all, keypress action is softer.

Sure, I buy any IBM Model M that I see if it's under $10, no questions asked. Since I don't actively look, I've bought only one, but found three on my college computing center's back porch awaiting disposal. I snatched them faster than electricity spreads through water and am now typing on one.