Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#280820 - 28/04/2006 15:24 Power distribution in a UK home office
andy
carpal tunnel

Loc: Wivenhoe, Essex, UK
I'm sure I am not the only person here who has a rediculous amount of devices in my home office. Doing a quick count I have:
  • pc1
  • pc2
  • mac mini
  • server1
  • server2
  • monitor1
  • monitor2
  • external hd1
  • external hd2
  • switch
  • wifi
  • router
  • empeg
  • amp
  • printer
  • usb hub
  • lamp
  • laptop dock
  • battery chargers
  • scanner
  • fax
  • shredder
  • radio

I am trying to be more sensible and turn things off when I am not using them. At the moment everything is connected by a mess of a series of cheap/nasty 4 and 6 gang unswitched extension leads.

I want to improve on this. I want to be able to switch each device off separately and I want to be able to easily see which device is on. Ideally I'd like it all to not take up too much space...

The best I can come up with so far are cheap and nasty 8 gang switched extension leads from Homebase, which are huge and further add to the oil refinery look of my room at night...

Does anyone have any better ideas ?

P.S. I'm in the UK, so UK only solutions please

Edited by andy (28/04/2006 15:25)

#280821 - 28/04/2006 15:45 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
'm sure I am not the only person here who has a rediculous amount of devices

Sure you are. The rest of us muggles just have a ridiculous number of devices.

Ganged outlets ("power bars"), with individual device switches, are pretty much the only low-tech answer, I fear. But that's not a UK only solution. You folks do have the added burden of those humongous plugs for everything.

One tip is to ensure the switches are easily accessible, and not buried beneath a table or desk.

A back-burner project of mine here, is to finally assemble a solid-state relay box to let my 24/7 server switch things on/off on demand, like extra hard drives, lights, etc.. The server itself stays on, but it only chews about 18W or so, steady state.

Cheers

Edited by mlord (28/04/2006 15:48)

#280822 - 28/04/2006 15:53 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Hey, here's a thought.

Most of the stuff on your list probably uses IEC cords. So I suppose you might be able to construct a less industrial looking distribution point for those. Nip off the AC plugs from a bunch of those cords, and hardwire them into a custom switchbox, with one small AC switch for each cord. Requires more effort than a trip to Homebase, though.

A fanatic might even use electronic relays in the custom box, and have a PIC or gumstix processor control them, with a smallish desktop keypad as the blood'n'guts interface. Much less unsightly. Except for the B&G portion.

Cheers

#280823 - 28/04/2006 15:54 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: mlord]
pgrzelak
carpal tunnel

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I was actually going to jokingly recommend raised floor or an overhead ladder system for the wiring.

But I would certainly recommend an audit - find what can be grouped together and shut off at the same time. For example, group your "always on" items like server CPUs and disks on one set of circuits, monitors and other items that are only used while in the room on switched outlets, things like that.

#280824 - 28/04/2006 16:07 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
I've always wanted to have everything running of X10, all hidden away. You could distribute low voltage over a Cat5 network, going back to a central location where the wall wart would be kept. Make custom patch cords up using different pairs for different voltages so you don't blow your stuff up. To turn something on and off just select it from a web page etc...

Maybe not the most practical solution, but it sure would be cool

The more I think about this idea, the more I think it's total rubbish There should be better solutions to these sorts of power problems...

Cheers

Cris.

#280825 - 28/04/2006 16:27 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: Cris]
andy
carpal tunnel

I really wish there was a standard low power specification. How difficult would it be for manufacturers to agree on something like USB to power all DC devices ?

It is silly that I have to have a dozen AC-DC power bricks in the room.

I think this question might have been posed here before...

#280826 - 28/04/2006 16:55 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
Ezekiel
pooh-bah

Loc: NH USA
Quote:
I think this question might have been posed here before...

I think this is the thread you mean.

-Zeke

#280827 - 28/04/2006 18:02 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
You really want something like this:

I'm too knackered to find a picture of one with individually switchable outputs although they do exist.

Attachments
280795-AM15515.jpg (87 downloads)

Andy M

#280828 - 28/04/2006 18:18 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andym]
robricc
carpal tunnel

One of our distributors carries devices from China like that.

Like this

or this

Since those come from chinese companies that just slap your name on anything, I'm sure there are versions for other plugs/voltages available.

#280829 - 28/04/2006 18:25 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andym]
sein
old hand

Loc: Sector ZZ9pZa
Thing is, I count at least 10 things in the list which have power adapters, which means a 'wall wart' or an in-line brick. As cool as rack mounted power distribution is, I don't think its gonna work in this home-office.

How about Dado Trunking? You could run this above or below a desk, maybe 2 rows of it would be appropriate, 6 double sockets in each row. RJ45 outlets, telephone, tv/satellite outlets... it can all go in there.

The trunking itself comes in many different types, with shielded compartments if you want to seperate power and data further than just a strip of PVC. Shielded boxes are also available to put your RJ45 outlets into. Use flat bends, inside bends, outside bends and endcaps to create a masterpiece

It will definately do the job. If you want more details, let me know, I'm an electrical wholesaler so I do sell the stuff!

#280830 - 28/04/2006 18:33 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: sein]
andym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manchester UK
Quote:
How about Dado Trunking?

It's okay if you like your home office to look like an office!

Our office is covered in the stuff. Very versatile though. We've got 13amp, ceeform, sat, TV, phones, CAT6 and triax coming out of ours....

Andy M

#280831 - 28/04/2006 18:45 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: robricc]
larry818
old hand

Loc: Fullerton, Calif.
I use something nearly identical to that Elation thing...

http://www.starlight-online.com/copilot.htm

It's from American DJ (a chinese company). They have a UK version of it, but the picture shows american style sockets.

#280832 - 28/04/2006 18:46 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: larry818]
robricc
carpal tunnel

Elation is the "higher-end" line from American DJ.

#280833 - 29/04/2006 04:21 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
I really wish there was a standard low power specification. How difficult would it be for manufacturers to agree on something like USB to power all DC devices ?

A recent EWeek article was talking about this very thing. The overall power consumption of the average server room is starting to be an issue for some companies. Going to DC is one possible way to cut it down. APC is leading the charge, if I recall correctly from the article. It's gonna be quite a while before we see server rooms with all-DC equipment...

#280834 - 29/04/2006 04:54 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Going to DC is one possible way to cut it down. APC is leading the charge, if I recall correctly from the article. It's gonna be quite a while before we see server rooms with all-DC equipment...

Nearly every Proliant had an option for DC power supplies instead of AC ones. I was always surprised at how there weren't that many companies looking to order them. I think the blades did help though, as they can have two big DC power feeds run into a rack to power the whole thing, instead of having to feed multiple PDUs for a rack. The Blades all ran DC, and if a customer wanted AC, they had to buy a 3U component in the rack that would do the AC to DC conversion before sending the power up the backplane.

#280835 - 29/04/2006 07:10 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: tfabris]
julf
veteran

Loc: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
It's gonna be quite a while before we see server rooms with all-DC equipment...

Well, most telecoms (carrier) eqipment is (and has been) 48V DC.

#280836 - 29/04/2006 09:45 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: andy]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
  • pc1
  • monitor1
  • external hd1
  • external hd2
  • printer
  • usb hub
  • scanner

If you've got a reasonable amount of gear that's attached to one PC, and always goes on and off in conjunction with it, one of these might help.

Peter

#280837 - 29/04/2006 12:39 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: peter]
mlord
carpal tunnel

That's (really!) cute, but a regular outlet strip with a single switch would do the job even better --> by cutting the standby wattage from the PC itself, as well as being a totally passive (non power consuming) device (the outlet strip).

Cheers

Edited by mlord (29/04/2006 12:49)

#280838 - 29/04/2006 14:30 Re: Power distribution in a UK home office [Re: mlord]
andy
carpal tunnel

Kind of, but with that fancy strip you could set the PC to hibernate after a certain period of inactivity and then all the attached devices would also power off, which would be neat. I might just do that for my main desktop machine, at the moment I leave it on 24/7. I'd need to move my P2P apps to one of my servers though.