Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284775 - 22/07/2006 08:28 Can't turn off "Use DDE". Any ideas?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
As I was saying over in this thread, I often fix file-opening issues by turning off the "Use DDE" feature for that filetype.

Or, at least, I used to, back in the olden days. Before the dark times. Before Windows XP.

It seems that lately, in Windows XP, most of the filetypes where I used to do that, now don't allow me to do that.

Here's an example:

- I wanted to associate the file type CFG with UltraEdit. I specifically don't want to use DDE for this, I want it to open with a command line parameter.

- I doubleclick on a CFG file and it asks me which application. I pick UltraEdit from the list, and I check the box "Always use this application to open this type of file" or whatever the heck it says.

- I open an explorer window and go to Tools, Folder Options, File Types.

- I Locate the CFG file type, and hit "Advanced"

- I select the "Open" action and hit "Edit".

- The "Use DDE" checkbox is checked, and all the DDE conversation parameters are there below the checkbox.

- I uncheck it. The DDE conversation parameters disappear.

- I hit OK, OK, Close.

- If I now drill back down into the CFG file type, the "Use DDE" checkbox is checked again, and all the DDE conversation parameters are there.

What the heck? Why does it keep forcing DDE to be "on" for this file type?

Incidentally, the Classes tree in the registry for this file type says nothing about DDE. The .CFG extention looks like this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.cfg]
@="ft000004"

And the ft000004 file type looks like this:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ft000004]
"EditFlags"=dword:00000000
"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ft000004\shell]
@="open"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ft000004\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ft000004\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Ultra Edit\\UEDIT32.EXE\" \"%1\""

WTF?

I've googled around, searched the MSKB, and I don't see anywhere that even recognizes this as a problem, let alone offers a solution. Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Anyway. Anyone have any ideas on this one?

#284776 - 22/07/2006 12:40 Re: Can't turn off "Use DDE". Any ideas? [Re: tfabris]
FireFox31
pooh-bah

Loc: East Coast, USA
Try a reboot after disabling DDE to help the change sink in??

Odd, I never paid attention to the DDE info in file associations. Yet now that I'm using Access as a data source for Word merges, I'm enabling and disabling DDE (in Access) often. What does it do for file associations that's so bad?

And secondly, of course it's broken. XP went out of its way to break long standing core functionality in every area of the operating system. A huge leap back in UI from 2k and 9x.

Edited by FireFox31 (22/07/2006 12:52)

#284777 - 22/07/2006 15:59 Re: Can't turn off "Use DDE". Any ideas? [Re: FireFox31]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Try a reboot after disabling DDE to help the change sink in??

No effect.

Quote:
What does it do for file associations that's so bad?

Well, as was stated in this thread, sometimes a given application will have a broken DDE implementation and will sometimes refuse to open the document via that method.

Another thing that often happens with DDE is that it forces the application to open the document in the existing running instance of the application, instead of launching a new copy of the application to host the second document. While this is the desired effect in most cases, I have a few specific situations where I want it to do exactly the opposite thing.