Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#284769 - 21/07/2006 20:49 New Mac software: mira
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
Some of you saw my web preview (Twisted Melon) a few weeks ago and a couple of people tried really early versions of the software. We've just released version 1.1 and have now also started to actively promote the site/software. This is (obviously) one of the first places I'm sharing this information. I don't think any other forum, not even my own, could ever replace empegBBS for me.

mira (Personal Control for Your Apple Remote)

Quote:

mira is designed exclusively for the Apple Remote, taking it beyond Front Row with personal control over any application. Shipping with built-in support for over 20 applications, new ones can be given their own specific actions in a few seconds with virtually no learning curve and no additional software or plugins to download or install.

mira automatically detects which application is running and matches it with the correct personal settings. If you know how to use your favorite applications with a mouse and keyboard, you can make them work with the Apple Remote.

Additional features:

A versatile (and giant) Launch Menu, that you can see across the room, lets you decide what appears inside it and what it should look like.

Multi Actions supporting short and long press of every button on the Apple Remote for two times the control possibilities. It also supports different actions depending on application state (e.g. DVD Player menu vs. playback)

Keystroke sending to foreground or any specific application, transparent AppleScript launching, special system commands including volume control and more actions to give you truly "Personal Control."

If you guys could help me with the "I told two friends, and they told two friends ...." I'd really appreciate it. I'd be ecstatic if I could get a mention on a couple of more popular personal blogs, let alone Engadget, Gizmodo or digg.

There are a couple of other programs out now that offer some level of control over the other program. To anyone wondering what the differences are, take a look at the web site. Then try the software. I hope it speaks for itself. I didn't leave my full time job to be number 2 at anything.

Bruno

#284770 - 22/07/2006 04:38 Re: New Mac software: mira [Re: hybrid8]
loren
carpal tunnel

Loc: SLC, UT, USA
Wish I had a macbook to try it on! Sounds cool... Good luck with it.

#284771 - 22/07/2006 04:52 Re: New Mac software: mira [Re: loren]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

If you noticed in another thread (Dell thread), I just bought my parents a new Core Solo mac mini, so now even THEY'LL get to see/use my software. I think if I can teach them how to use it, then anyone can figure it out.

I have a couple of Intel Macs for development, each being used by one of my programmers. I'm still using Powerbook myself. Can't afford a new Macbook Pro right now. And I have more than a feeling that it might be a good idea to wait until after the summer to get one...

I hope to release a new version with suport for all USB Macs soon as well (no Intel process or built-in IR needed). Of course you'll need a small USB IR receiver (which we plan to sell) or perhaps a third party one we may support (widely available but more expensive than we'd retail ours for - plus we wouldn't make any money on that one, would we? ) It will also work with only the Apple Remote though.

#284772 - 22/07/2006 05:26 Re: New Mac software: mira [Re: hybrid8]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Quote:
If you noticed in another thread (Dell thread), I just bought my parents a new Core Solo mac mini, so now even THEY'LL get to see/use my software. I think if I can teach them how to use it, then anyone can figure it out.

I have a couple of Intel Macs for development, each being used by one of my programmers. I'm still using Powerbook myself. Can't afford a new Macbook Pro right now. And I have more than a feeling that it might be a good idea to wait until after the summer to get one...

I hope to release a new version with suport for all USB Macs soon as well (no Intel process or built-in IR needed). Of course you'll need a small USB IR receiver (which we plan to sell) or perhaps a third party one we may support (widely available but more expensive than we'd retail ours for - plus we wouldn't make any money on that one, would we? ) It will also work with only the Apple Remote though.

Hey bruno,

Software looks great bruno (as does the website), sadly don't have a mac with IR to try, yet....

Sorry to take off topic (but it's more a way of life here! ) but whats the core solo mac mini like compared to your powerbook? I'm after something which runs Xcode nice and fast and is able to run XP in a window. I've been eying up the core solo mac mini with the idea of putting a 2.16 core 2 duo processor in it.....but I'd like to know what the core solo mini is like because the meroms aren't out yet.

The machine I use all the time is my G4 PowerBook 1.5Ghz, but I find development a bit frustrating on the laptop.

I'm also waiting for the next round of MacBook Pros.....

#284773 - 22/07/2006 12:22 Re: New Mac software: mira [Re: sn00p]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

I haven't used the Core Solo enough yet to know what it's performance is like. Benchmarks on the net give it good marks againsg the PowerBook G4 however - and they were all using only 512MB of memory in the mini. I'd recommend nothing less than 1GB for XCode use (it made a night and day difference on the Core Duo model we're using for development).

Now back on topic... Anyone with a digg account, please hop on over and digg mira:

http://digg.com/apple/Just_when_you_thought_your_apple_remote_could_do_it_all

Someone was nice enough to list it last night.

#284774 - 23/07/2006 21:07 Re: New Mac software: mira [Re: hybrid8]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

The last time I checked mira was at almost 700 diggs. Cool. I was away this weekend so I didn't see it hit the front page - it was now on the 4th.

Tomorrow it's back to work full-steam on addressing one or two concerns and some cool new features. I'm excited to see the feedback we receive when it starts to hit some of the regular Mac news/info sites.

Bruno