Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#293358 - 02/02/2007 14:05 Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Loc: Detroit, MI USA
I grew up with my parents always jamming LPs (and reel-to-reel tapes!) around the house on Saturdays while doing house work. The LP that I fell in love with the most and always asked them to play was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (DSOTM). There is a long history of the record being remastered and rereleased throughout the ages and people have always bickered about which is best. But the one that the old cats always talked about was the quadraphonic mix by sound engineer Alan Parsons.

The quadraphonic mix had become a cult classic and because (like today with SACD and DVD-A) you needed special equipment to hear it, most people never got the chance and it quickly became unavailable. It also became a legend of sorts and the people who did hear it continued to mention it. Then, in 2003 when DSOTM was put out on SACD, everyone was hoping they'd finally be able to hear that quadraphonic mix they had been hearing about for 30 years. But no, it wasn't. That quadraphonic mix was never officially endorsed by the band so they went with a whole new mix. While that mix is supposedly good, people were still asking about the quad mix!

So, sometime last year, SOMEBODY released the DSOTM quad mix on the internet in DVD-Audio format (that means you can play it on your normal DVD player!) At first, people where very skeptical. Did someone just record the original quadraphonic LPs into their Soundblaster card and convert it to DVD-Audio format (yuck!)? Apparently not! Folks over at AVS forum who have 100's of DVD-As swear this is their best sounding disk. Just do a Google on "Pink Floyd DVD-A review" and you'll see for yourself. A decent site called High Fidelity Review wrote:
Quote:
the DVD-Audio release “from the original quadraphonic master tapes” of a 96/24 DVD-Audio disc, purporting to be the original Alan Parsons quadraphonic mix, except with a low frequency track added. Thus, while the Parsons quad mix was 4.0, this particular rendition is 4.1. The mystery engineer, who advises High Fidelity Review of a professional background in sound engineering, has privately verified what the bootleg label reads, i.e., that this disc is from the original quad master tapes.. Full Review.

Pretty cool huh? So how do you get it? To quote the review above, "The disc is unavailable to anyone else in the whole world, unless they are one of the few who have access to the internet." Meaning, all you need is a) a Bittorent program on your computer, b) an internet search engine and c) a DVD burner. I've never used torrents before and I don't like the idea that people are ripping and sharing DVDs with it but this download is pretty guilt free for me because I own DSOTM in about 4 formats including the SACD version that I currently can't even listen to because my receiver doesn't have an analgue 5.1 input on it.

My dad is coming over tonight for a little "surprise" I have for him. I'm going to pour us each a small glass of scotch on the rocks, have him take a seat and pop this DVD-A in. I don't think his LP player is even hooked up now, so it'll be the first time in at least 10 years that he's heard it, but the first time he's heard it in surround sound!

A Beatles fan? Check out this release everyone is nuts about - Beatles - Love. It's a "soundscape" of Beatles in 5.1 surround sound mixed for the Cirque du Soleil show by the band's original producer, Sir George Martin, and his son Giles.

#293359 - 02/02/2007 14:43 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
When Roger Waters played Glastonbury in 2002 he did some of the old Pink Floyd stuff in quadrophonic live. There was one with a load of dogs barking, which confused the heck out of a real dog that had somehow got into the audience at the Pyramid Stage -- silly dog, confused by the quadrophonic, we thought -- and then another one with a helicopter crossing the soundstage that had everyone, not just the dogs, looking up to see it, but it wasn't there...

Peter

#293360 - 02/02/2007 15:06 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Must. Get. This.

Thanks.

#293361 - 02/02/2007 15:11 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: tfabris]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Oh, and also, for anyone who's a DSOTM fan, this is pretty awesome.

#293362 - 02/02/2007 15:13 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I just found out that P*U*L*S*E was released on DVD this past summer with a full live performance of DSOTM too!

Quote:
The centerpiece of Disc 2 is a near-perfect performance of 1974's Dark Side of the Moon in its entirety--reason enough to make this a must-have DVD for even the most casual Floyd admirers. And while no one will ever re-create the sheer magnificence of Clare Torry's original tour de force vocals on "The Great Gig in the Sky," it's safe to say that backup singers Sam Brown, Claudia Fontaine, and Durga McBroom deliver the next best thing, in addition to seamless contributions throughout the concert. After the closing heartbeat of "Eclipse," the concert ends with encore performances of "Wish You Were Here," "Comfortably Numb," and a no-holds-barred, pyrotechnically explosive rendition of The Wall's "Run Like Hell," all showcasing Gilmour's guitar mastery with frequent close-ups of his picking and fret-work as seen throughout the concert.

And that's just Disk 2!!

Link on Amazon.com.

#293363 - 02/02/2007 15:17 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

I have to say, having seen both the actual concerts and the video versions of both the "Delicate Sound of Thunder" and "Pulse" concert tours, I much preferred "Delicate Sound of Thunder", both in real life and on video.

Even though the got the original DSOTM saxophone player back for "Pulse", the guy who they had doing sax on "Delicate Sound of Thunder" was a much more energetic player and I enjoyed his parts more.

And while it's was a cool gimmick to have them do the entire DSOTM album live for "Pulse", I appreciated the variety of music on "Thunder" better.

#293364 - 02/02/2007 16:47 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: tfabris]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've started the download. This should be fun, particularly on a friend's system where he spent a good deal more on his home theater than most people spend on their cars.

#293365 - 02/02/2007 17:04 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Sorry to sort of hijack the thread, but I wanted to quickly mention a similar thing that two of my friends set up one time.

I'm not sure how many of you have listened to the Flaming Lips, but the band once released a 4-disc album (named Zaireeka), except all four discs were intended to be played at once (or any combination, really).

One of my friends ran sound for many of my alma mater's events, including the ones in their main sports hall. So he hooked up a few additional CD players and routed the sound to various speakers. He said it was a really cool listening experience.

The album
The listening

#293366 - 02/02/2007 17:17 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: Dignan]
wfaulk
carpal tunnel

Loc: Raleigh, NC US
Okay, that is cool.

#293367 - 03/02/2007 02:04 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Dang! Now you make me wish I had kept the car quad 8 track I used to have. I gave it up in 76 for lack of available content. I only ever had found one 8 track that was Quad. That was actually a Ford demo tape that came with their autos having OEM Q8 tracks. I haven't ever heard anything like that since.

#293368 - 03/02/2007 11:48 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: Dignan]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

I'm a "casual" Flaming Lips fan but I'm growing to love them more and more. It took me years to get over the "she eats tangerines" song. Anyway, everyone seems to love their SACD/DVD-A releases. Even people who don't like the band use it to demo their systems. Thanks for the mention of this project, I had never heard of it. It's too bad it isn't out in DVD-A so you don't need multiple setups but that would take away from the experimental feel of it.

#293369 - 09/02/2007 20:24 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:

A Beatles fan? Check out this release everyone is nuts about - Beatles - Love. It's a "soundscape" of Beatles in 5.1 surround sound mixed for the Cirque du Soleil show by the band's original producer, Sir George Martin, and his son Giles.

Okay. So the CD in that pack is a nasty DRMed P.O.S.

Anyone know how to get the tunes off of it and into my Empeg?

Thanks

#293370 - 09/02/2007 20:29 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: mlord]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
If you have a windows box AnyDVD with EAC should do it.

#293371 - 09/02/2007 21:01 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: Attack]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Isn't that all "payware" ??

There's no way I'm throwing more good money after bad because of a defective CD.

Cheers

#293372 - 09/02/2007 21:09 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: mlord]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Haven't tried it yet, myself, but there's always the SP/DIF route. Play the CD on some kind of normal CD or DVD player and just hit the record button on your suitably-equipped computer. Takes a little longer, but should yield the full fidelity of the original.

#293373 - 09/02/2007 21:16 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: DWallach]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Quote:

Haven't tried it yet, myself, but there's always the SP/DIF route. Play the CD on some kind of normal CD or DVD player and just hit the record button on your suitably-equipped computer. Takes a little longer, but should yield the full fidelity of the original.

Cool idea. And for once, I actually do have all of the required technology in-house, including an optical cable.

But.. for this I've found an easier way: my (one and only) winpc has an older plextor drive and Rio MusicManager.. that combination seems to be happy with the disc -- ripping it right now.

Cheers

#293374 - 09/02/2007 21:33 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:
my (one and only) winpc has an older plextor drive and Rio MusicManager.. that combination seems to be happy with the disc -- ripping it right now.

Cheers

Worked fine. Now redoing it all with grip under Kubuntu on the same hardware.

Note to Self: hang onto that ancient 16X Plextor drive..

Cheers

#293375 - 09/02/2007 21:38 Magic of Markers.. [Re: mlord]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Quote:

Worked fine. Now redoing it all with grip under Kubuntu on the same hardware.

Note to Self: hang onto that ancient 16X Plextor drive..

Since Self is slow on the draw today, I've taken a felt-tipped marker and written Keep for CD-Ripping!! on the front of the drive. That ought to do it.

Important tip: alcohol can be used to completely wipe away such markings if required.

Of course alcohol has other uses, too!

Cheers

#293376 - 10/02/2007 03:08 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: mlord]
Attack
addict

Loc: Florida
Quote:
Quote:

Isn't that all "payware" ??

There's no way I'm throwing more good money after bad because of a defective CD.

Cheers

AnyDVD is payware with a 21 day trial and EAC is post-cardware.

#293377 - 10/02/2007 20:20 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: Dignan]
spider

I found this on ebay but someone beat me to it http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180078234823

Thanks for the tip on the beatles love dvd, I would have missed that. I downloaded it this morning and it is quite good!!! sounds masterful on the omniplaners. too bad one of my magnaplaners is blown....

the dsotm was done almost a year ago, well thats when it showed up on usenet.

Quote:
Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes

This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
(limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc) but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.
Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.
The only "liberty" we have taken here is an additional .1 track. You can make up your own mind as to
whether or not it is a worthwhile addition.
It also features all new artwork in both sections specially created for this DVD-Audio release
The disc will play on all DVD players, as it is a DVD-Audio/Video "hybrid" containing the following:

Audio_TS
MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1

Video_TS
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

Additionally, it is possible to play both the lossy streams from DVD-Audio players.
Each type has it's own menus. What you can access is dependant entirely on your player.

All Authoring, Encoding, Post Production and design is exclusive to this release.

FEEL FREE TO DISTRIBUTE THIS DISC TO OTHERS, BUT ALWAYS "AS IS" AND IN FULL.
PLEASE DO NOT RIP AND REPOST IN ANY OTHER FORMAT. THERE IS NO NEED AS ALL DVD PLAYERS CAN READ THIS DISC,
AND DOING SO WILL DEPRIVE OTHERS OF THE FULL HIGH RESOLUTION FORMATS USED.
ADDITIONALLY, RIPPING TO DTS-CD WILL INVOLVE QUALITY LOSS DUE TO DOWNSAMPLING, AND WILL
REDUCE THE LISTENING PLEASURE FOR OTHERS.

#293378 - 10/02/2007 23:01 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Taym
carpal tunnel

Loc: Roma, Italy
Wow, thank you for sharing this with us! I'm downloading it now as well!
MK2a #040103216 * 100Gb *All/Colors* Radio * 3.0a11 * Hijack = taympeg

#293379 - 10/02/2007 23:57 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: spider]
SE_Sport_Driver
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Thanks for the tip on the beatles love dvd, I would have missed that. I downloaded it this morning and it is quite good!!!

No excuse on that one! You can still buy it on Amazon.com.

#293380 - 19/02/2007 08:54 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: SE_Sport_Driver]
Shonky
pooh-bah

Loc: Brisbane, Australia
Any got a link for this? My search-fu is weak today.
#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)

#293381 - 19/02/2007 19:31 Re: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon UPDATE [Re: Shonky]
Neutrino
addict

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest