Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#304571 - 30/11/2007 16:59 Choosing a wedding photographer
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Loc: Toronto, CANADA
This is unrelated to the camera thread I started earlier.

In April I'll be getting married - in Portugal. We have a handful of people coming with us from Canada and we'll be joined in Lagos, Algarve by additional family and friends mostly from the Lisbon area.

The ceremony will be on the beach and dinner in the resort's restaurant which is also on the beach. The beach club is called Duna Beach Club and it's actually 2km from the hotel where the rooms are. We'll be at the resort for only 4 days, the rest of our 3 week trip being spent in Lisbon and traveling the country side (we'll be driving the entire length of the country).

I've just started the process of looking for photographers located in Portugal. First concentrating on those local to the Algarve region and I'll now expand to look toward Lisbon.

I'd be really interested in any tips anyone can give on criteria to help narrow the choices and finally pick an individual/company to go with. I know what kinds of pictures I like and can evaluate a portfolio, but looking at a limited number of gallery images on the web can't tell the whole story. Apart from that I don't really know much about wedding photography. What questions should I ask the potential photographers as I'm interviewing them (over the web and likely over the phone)?

If anyone knows of any photogs in Portugal, even if it's only through your superior Google-fu, please let me know. These are the ones I've bookmarked so far (I didn't bother bookmarking two others and skipped anyone I found that doesn't specialize in weddings):

Pink Imaging
Photo Events
Blush Photography (they operate in Algarve as well as the UK - Algarve site with images of the photographer's own wedding there)
Antonio Jacinto

#304572 - 30/11/2007 17:23 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
Cris
pooh-bah

Loc: Leeds, UK
What's your budget? How about flying out a photographer you like from Canada?

Cheers

Cris.

#304573 - 30/11/2007 17:40 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: Cris]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Quote:
What's your budget? How about flying out a photographer you like from Canada?

That would be far too expensive. Wedding photogs here are pricey enough without having to fly them out and pay for accommodations and expenses. That would probably be around $9000 or more. Ouch.

Don't get the wrong idea because I bought the D300. I'm not loaded - especially after buying the D300. Hehe.

#304574 - 30/11/2007 18:57 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Apart from that I don't really know much about wedding photography. What questions should I ask the potential photographers as I'm interviewing them (over the web and likely over the phone)?

Well, the obvious point to know about up front, is *who* owns/keeps the master copies of the images (negatives or RAW files)? That's important, as it determines whether future reprints will ever be possible in the event of fire/flood destroying your only printed copies..

Cheers

#304575 - 30/11/2007 19:41 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: mlord]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
*who* owns/keeps the master copies of the images

Most pro's will sell you a copy of the photos on CD, only jpg's but ready to print. Here in the UK the going rate is about £200 extra on top of the package price which includes 200-300 photos, although lots of photographers include that as standard now and add the album as an extra as people can easily put together an album themselves.

I am doing a bit of research into the area myself, but from the other side. I have really really enjoyed taking photos at a couple of weddings recently and feedback has been good, so I am thinking about doing a side line if I can get good enough.

I haven't really come across any books that will help you with your search, there is one called "Capture The Moment" which is written from both the photographer and bride's point of view, but it isn't all that useful.

The problem you will have in hiring a local photographer is that you won't really be able to see the quality of his work, ie prints.

Do you know what style you are both looking for ???

Edit - In fact the best advice I would give is something someone said to me about setting up on my own, why don't you and your future wife ask a few local (Canadian) photographers around to start the process off and get an idea of what to expect.

Cheers

Cris.

Edited by Cris (30/11/2007 19:48)

#304576 - 30/11/2007 20:18 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: mlord]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Well, the obvious point to know about up front, is *who* owns/keeps the master copies of the images (negatives or RAW files)? That's important, as it determines whether future reprints will ever be possible in the event of fire/flood destroying your only printed copies..

Absolutely critical. This is one of the things I wasn't going to forget about but I'm glad you mentioned it anyway. I hadn't been thinking about it as a point of contention/arrangement as I kind of expected it was standard practice now. Might not be standard everywhere so I have to make a point of asking about it specifically.

Cris, I don't really know what style we're after. You see, I'm a non-committal type of guy in some respects (luckily this doesn't apply with women). I can't choose a favorite band, favorite style of music, favorite colour, etc... That's not to say I don't know what I like. I certainly do and perhaps like too many things/styles.

Lately I've seen some interesting contemporary and photo-journalistic examples. Of course I do quite like a lot of classic B&W stuff. The most impressive wedding photos I have ever seen in my life belonged to a friend from ATI. She and her husband went to Taiwan *BEFORE* they got married to take them. They looked like they were out of a movie or magazine. Excellent poses, lots of different clothes and settings, everything looked perfect. The printing and retouching were second to none, and the presentation of the finished product was spectacular in a bound book I've never seen in Canada before. It was also cheap if you don't count the airfare to Taiwan.

#304577 - 30/11/2007 20:38 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
Cris
pooh-bah

Quote:
I don't really know what style we're after

I would get your woman to decide then, I think that is key to select a photographer who shares your vision of the day. Be specific, don't assume you get anything unless you have it in writing.

I personally like the reportage style, and was most impressed with the photographer at Nicola's brother wedding, she blended in most of the time, only directing when taking the requested formal shot, the results are a relaxed set of pictures that I don't think will date. I think this style is best when a second photographer is used, that way in the album you get two views of the same scene. That may be worth adding to your question list, how many photographers will I get?

I can't comment on Portugal of course, but in the UK I think Lovegrove Weddings have it down to a fine art, they have to be just about the best I have ever seen. And this set of work at Bellissima Photography is an inspiration to me, check out the album pre design.

My point is, get a clear idea of what you want at the end of it, who ever you go with it will be expensive. I wouldn't leave it to chance to get the style you want. Before I started to look into wedding photography seriously I though wedding photos were just wedding photos, but this isn't the case, there is a vast range of styles and standard to choose from.

If it were me on your shoes, I would forget the idea of getting too many prints from the photographer in Portugal, I would invest with a local (Canadian) to take some set up photos in local places that mean something to you both to start off your album and then let him use the photos you got taken in Portugal to finish the album off, that way you get a consistent print through the album.

Cheers

Cris.

#304578 - 01/12/2007 00:21 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Another thing to consider, not as a replacement for the professional photographer, but as an addition... ask all your friends who have cameras to bring them and take LOTS of pictures at the wedding; and for those who do not have cameras, perhaps you could buy/beg/borrow/steal a collection of inexpensive auto-shoot cameras for them.

You will get pictures that the professional guy didn't get (he can't be everywhere at once) and almost certainly some of them will be pretty good. At the very least you will get to see the wedding from some different viewpoints that you otherwise might have missed.

tanstaafl.

#304579 - 01/12/2007 06:05 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: tanstaafl.]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Quote:
perhaps you could buy/beg/borrow/steal a collection of inexpensive auto-shoot cameras for them.

One thing that's relatively common at weddings in the UK is to put disposable cameras on the tables. The photos you get aren't the best quality (obviously), but sometimes there's a few gems in there.

#304580 - 01/12/2007 11:47 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Another point here, which is not at all obvious to the couple getting married,
is that *nobody* wants to see your photos.

Well, okay, very close family will look at them, perhaps, twice.
And good friends will feign interest for a short while.

The photos that count are the one or two formals that get framed and hung on the wall.
Plus the group/family photos, which future genealogy researchers may appreciate.

That's it, really.

So don't go horribly overboard on this all.
You are *not* going to get much use from the results, except as noted above.

And of course you will not believe any of this, until a few months after the wedding.

#304581 - 01/12/2007 12:25 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: mlord]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Well, okay, very close family will look at them, perhaps, twice.
And good friends will feign interest for a short while.

The photos that count are the one or two formals that get framed and hung on the wall.
Plus the group/family photos, which future genealogy researchers may appreciate.

That's it, really.

While I won't disagree with that, there is another constituency too, which in hybrid8's case (overseas wedding) might be significant: people who can't make it to the wedding in person. Again, maybe they'd only look through once or twice, but if there are infirm and elderly great-aunts or whatever who can't travel, having a good wedding album to show them afterwards is a nice way of extending a bit of the day's celebration to them and making them feel included.

Peter

#304582 - 01/12/2007 12:58 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: peter]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

We plan to use many of the official shots (and others from friends) in a slideshow for the reception we're holding here when we get back (over 100 ppl who would not have been in Portugal with us). We'll also have our own from traveling the rest of the trip of course.

The point Mark makes is totally valid and something I also anticipated. Neither of us is interested in hanging a dozen images of the wedding around the house and while parents and close relatives will want to see as many as they can, they too would likely only want a couple of prints to keep up/out.

I collected all the digital images from various cameras at my brother's wedding and so far have over 1800. That doesn't include any from the official photographer yet. That number will probably be cut right in half and then maybe in half again once I've had the opportunity to go through and edit out the lesser images. For now HD space is available so it's no big deal to keep them all. Every now and then someone needs an image and I whip through in LightRoom to find something and export out a corrected jpg for them.

Having so many images also creates a good colour patch library for making photo mosaics. Which honestly, I've never done before.

I found a couple of links with tips/questions for choosing a photographer. I'll prepare some introductory emails to go out this weekend to the first batch of photographers I've found.

#304583 - 01/12/2007 13:25 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
mlord
carpal tunnel

Mmmm.. I like the slideshow background idea for the second reception.

Looks like you're doing just fine with the planning, Bruno!

Cheers

#304584 - 01/12/2007 16:03 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
drakino
carpal tunnel

Quote:
Having so many images also creates a good colour patch library for making photo mosaics. Which honestly, I've never done before.

Have a Leopard box around somewhere? Toss all the photos into iPhoto, then go into the Screensaver system preference. When you pick a photo library, the third type of screensaver is a photo mosaic that continues to zoom out again and again, using a different photo each time. There are probably source files for this quartz composer based screensaver somewhere that you could easily modify for some fun.

#304585 - 02/12/2007 01:43 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
altman
carpal tunnel

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Might be expensive (because of the travel), but Chris Stone @ fisheye did our wedding and he's done weddings in places like Venice as well as our more pedestrian one in Cambridge. We loved the pictures and we paid on top of the normal "photos and albums" charge for a complete dump of all the photos from all the cameras used - so we have everything from the day, literally thousands of shots...

http://www.fisheyephotography.co.uk/

Hugo

#304586 - 03/12/2007 17:47 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
canuckInOR
carpal tunnel

Loc: Portland, OR
Quote:
skipped anyone I found that doesn't specialize in weddings

Why?

The photographer we used at our wedding was a lead photographer at one of the city newspapers, who does weddings on the side.

#304587 - 03/12/2007 18:23 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: canuckInOR]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Quote:
skipped anyone I found that doesn't specialize in weddings

Why?

The photographer we used at our wedding was a lead photographer at one of the city newspapers, who does weddings on the side.

I'm curious as to why as well. Do you mean that you skipped anyone who wasn't devoted entirely to weddings?

My photographer was wonderful. She's a National Geographic photographer, actually, but she does a few weddings a year. My mom works at NGS, so she asked her to do ours. She did a great job, too. Here's her website, if anyone in the DC area is interested.

#304588 - 03/12/2007 18:36 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: Dignan]
hybrid8
carpal tunnel

No, i didn't mean to imply that I skipped anyone who isn't dedicated to weddings, only those that did not expressly promote the fact they shoot weddings.

It takes a special skill set and experience to do wedding photography at all, and more experience on top of that to do it well. Especially if it's a mixed environment shoot (indoor, outdoor, etc..)

All the photographers I linked above do other types of photography as well.

#304589 - 03/12/2007 23:20 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: hybrid8]
tanstaafl.
carpal tunnel

Loc: Ajijic, Mexico
Quote:
It takes a special skill set and experience to do wedding photography at all, and more experience on top of that to do it well.

Absolutely.

I blush to admit that I have actually photographed several weddings. I was official track photographer at a local race track, and some of the racers who liked my work hired me to shoot their weddings.

Then, a few years ago I attended a wedding and reception (big affair -- over 100 guests) where there was a real wedding photographer. He made my past efforts look pitiful. That man worked. He had three cameras slung around his neck, he seemed to be everywhere at once yet always seemed to be in the right place at the right time, he was assertive about getting his shots (but not rude), the sweat rolled off of him as he shot, and shot, and shot, and shot... I think he told me that he would cull through over 1,000 exposures to get the 100 or so best ones. I think he had an assistant whose job it was to swap batteries and keep the strobes and the cameras functional at all times. I've seen people put less energy and work into riding in bicycle races!

It's always entertaining to discover your own shortcomings.

tanstaafl.

#304590 - 04/12/2007 02:43 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: tanstaafl.]
DWallach
carpal tunnel

I've shot two friends' weddings myself. I'm reasonably happy with what I was able to accomplish, but the pro I hired for my own wedding outclassed anything I could have done, both in terms of the gear he brought and the effort he invested. He set up big studio strobes with radio remotes and strategically hid A-frame step ladders around the place, allowing him to get up over the crowd and shoot down at people. As others have mentioned, he was ubiquitous yet unobtrusive. His main line of work turns out to be doing "executive portraits" (i.e., those shots you see of corporate executives in the airline magazines) but he used to be a newspaper photojournalist.

#304591 - 04/12/2007 06:24 Re: Choosing a wedding photographer [Re: tanstaafl.]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Quote:
Then, a few years ago I attended a wedding and reception (big affair -- over 100 guests) where there was a real wedding photographer. He made my past efforts look pitiful. That man worked. He had three cameras slung around his neck...

That's what the photographer who did our wedding was like! It was even funnier because she couldn't have been more than 100lbs and 5'4", but she had three cameras and a huge camera bag slung around her all the time, and she was weaving in and out of the dance floor like crazy. It was incredible.