Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#308741 - 31/03/2008 17:15 svn gurus
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Hi, got a bit of a question. I'm just about to embark on a new project. I use svn for source control.

Now, this new project has linux, os x & windows front ends, but a common back end. I'm not sure how to set up SVN to cope with this?

Do I just checkout the backend to the root of my project tree and then the frontend to a sibling folder and reference it using relative paths? Or is there some sort of SVN magic where it I can checkout to subfolders under the project and commits go to the correct svn repository?

I can't seem to find the answer via google.

Thanks.

Adrian

#308742 - 31/03/2008 17:28 Re: svn gurus [Re: sn00p]
peter
carpal tunnel

Loc: Cambridge, England
Quote:
Or is there some sort of SVN magic where it I can checkout to subfolders under the project and commits go to the correct svn repository?

There is such a piece of SVN magic (they call it externals), but ideally you don't want to use it, as it's not quite seamless -- you can't commit to both the master and linked repositories with a single "svn commit", so it isn't atomic.

The right way to do this IMO is have a single repository containing the backend and all the frontends. That way, tags and commits are atomic across the whole thing. If the different frontends have different release schedules or whatever, you could always just branch each one's subdirectory. (Or not -- svn lets you do such a thing, but I've always preferred to branch the whole lot for simplicity's sake.)

Code:
/project
  /trunk
    /backend
    /win32
    /osx
    /linux
  /tags
  /branches

Peter

#308745 - 31/03/2008 17:51 Re: svn gurus [Re: peter]
sn00p
addict

Loc: South London
Thanks peter, I figured that was going to be the best way of doing it.

Next stop, codeville.