For my office, my aging 23" Cinema display was starting to fail, and I wanted a faster machine than my old Mac mini, so I killed two birds with one stone and got a new iMac. It's plenty fast, and the screen is stupid bright, but the glare was really annoying me. In dark parts of the screen, it's like a mirror.

So, I decided to pony up for a Photodon anti-glare filter, which I just put on. Installation is annoying, but not particularly difficult. Gettin used to it, on the other hand, is something. The filter definitely does its anti-glare job well. Unfortunately, it has the side-effect of adding some "sparkle" to the screen, which is particularly noticeable when you're looking at black text on a white background, which is obviously quite common. As the sparkle comes from the front of the filter, and there's a non-trivial thickness from that to the LCD itself, behind the glass, you even get a bit of stereo weirdness, particularly when you move your head, as the sparkles move one way while everything else moves the other way.

Anyway, I'll give it a go for a few weeks and report back whether or not it's livable, or whether we need to march on Cupertino and demand proper, matte screens.