Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#322647 - 26/05/2009 23:18 Moving tons of emails to IMAP server
TigerJimmy
old hand

Hi everyone,

I finally bit the bullet and switched to gmail for my email. The major reason was that I got a laptop and wanted email synchronized between all my machines, so I'm using IMAP and Apple's Mail program with gmail. So far, so good.

The problem is that I have about 29,000 old emails that I'd like to get into IMAP folders on gmail (or gmails equivalent, they use "labels", but they appear in the client as folders). These emails are all presently in Windows Eudora mailboxes (retrieved via POP over the years). I configured Eudora to connect to the gmail via IMAP and tried to just drag & drop them, but it doesn't work. Even copying just 20 or so emails causes Eudora to crash. I can move them one at a time successfully, so I believe it's configured correctly -- it just doesn't support a big batch copy. Actually, it doesn't support copy at all, only move.

Can anyone here suggest a good way to get 30k emails uploaded to the gmail IMAP server? I'd like to preserve attachments if possible, but I could live without that. I can convert from Eudora to another client first if that makes it easier.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

PS: I got a factory refurbished 2.4GHz 13" mac book and I love it. What a fine machine. I bought it because I've started working on a couple of iPhone applications and all we had here was an old G4 Powerbook (pre-Intel CPU). I've pretty much made it my everyday machine, hence the issue with the emails.

#322648 - 26/05/2009 23:29 Re: Moving tons of emails to IMAP server [Re: TigerJimmy]
drakino
carpal tunnel

OS X Mail will import Eudora Mailbox files. Just go under File, Import Mailboxes and follow the instructions. From there, you can move them from the "On my Mac" section to whatever GMail folders you like.

I recently did this with some really old Eudora archives I found prior to my move to both IMAP and the Mac.

#322651 - 27/05/2009 01:55 Re: Moving tons of emails to IMAP server [Re: drakino]
TigerJimmy
old hand

And this works with thousands of emails all in one shot? If so, this is perfect. Thank you!