Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#328213 - 22/12/2009 00:55 Tether cell phone to wireless
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Can a Samsung I637 cell phone be tethered to a wireless router and hence share out it's internet access?
I did find this router hack http://devices.natetrue.com/mobileap/ and a mention on the OpenWRT forums of tethering to an iPhone via Bluetooth, but I am looking for something more userfriendly for this guy.

#328214 - 22/12/2009 01:53 Re: Tether cell phone to wireless [Re: Phoenix42]
tman
carpal tunnel

The Samsung appears to be a Windows Mobile based phone. Try WMWifiRouter. I've never used it but there is a trial of some kind.

#328237 - 23/12/2009 00:38 Re: Tether cell phone to wireless [Re: tman]
Phoenix42
veteran

Loc: MA but Irish born
Thanks Trevor, I'll pass that along.

#328238 - 23/12/2009 03:06 Re: Tether cell phone to wireless [Re: tman]
Dignan
carpal tunnel

Loc: Sterling, VA
Originally Posted By: tman
The Samsung appears to be a Windows Mobile based phone. Try WMWifiRouter. I've never used it but there is a trial of some kind.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like that app will work. From what I can tell, that phone doesn't have WiFi, and that's what that app uses to share the data connection.

That's really the easiest way to tether your cell phone, honestly. Yeah, you can use USB and bluetooth to turn the phone into a modem, but I've only run into annoying problems with doing that.

So the easiest way is to make the phone take it's 3G data connection and use the built in WiFi to broadcast it back out again like a router. I have that on my rooted T-Mobile G1 and I love it. I just set my phone down somewhere, tap the tether button, and suddenly I have internet on my netbook anywhere. It takes me about 5 seconds and works every time. Essentially this is turning my phone into a MiFi. The other advantage to the modem approach is that multiple people can access the phone at once (though the speeds aren't really good enough for many people at once).

All that said, I'm not positive because it's been two years since I used a Windows Mobile device, but I think that ICS is part of Windows Mobile 5 and later. Try this site's steps, maybe?

#328245 - 23/12/2009 13:24 Re: Tether cell phone to wireless [Re: Dignan]
tman
carpal tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dignan
Unfortunately it doesn't look like that app will work. From what I can tell, that phone doesn't have WiFi, and that's what that app uses to share the data connection.

Oops! I checked what OS it ran but not whether it had WiFi! blush