Unoffical empeg BBS

Quick Links: Empeg FAQ | RioCar.Org | Hijack | BigDisk Builder | jEmplode | emphatic
Repairs: Repairs

Topic Options
#328775 - 15/01/2010 16:53 Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this?
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Loc: Seattle, WA
Can anyone else repro this?

In Windows Vista, do either one of the following:

start/run, CONTROL USERPASSWORDS2, Advanced, Manage Passwords.
-or-
start, control panel, user accounts, user accounts, Manage Your Network Passwords.

Either way, you'll get the "Stored User Names and Passwords" dialog box.

Press "BACK UP".

It will prompt you for a file location to store the .CRD file. Browse to a desired location and enter a desired file name.

Press NEXT.

It will prompt you to press ctrl-alt-del to save the passwords.

At this point, it supposed to save a file where you told it to. On my system, when I press ctrl-alt-del, the dialog box just goes poof and no file gets saved.

Anyone else get the same thing?

#328776 - 15/01/2010 17:50 Re: Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this? [Re: tfabris]
drakino
carpal tunnel

I don't have Vista handy (banished it once 7 came out), but it works fine for me both locally and via RDP in 7. When I hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete, the desktop goes black, and a dialog is up asking for a password to encrypt the file.

#328777 - 15/01/2010 17:52 Re: Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this? [Re: tfabris]
tman
carpal tunnel

Works here but I'm on Windows 7. I'd assume that there is something going on with your install since not being able to backup the vault is something that I'd hope would be found in QA...

#328778 - 15/01/2010 18:12 Re: Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this? [Re: tman]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

My feelings exactly.

#328790 - 16/01/2010 02:43 Re: Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this? [Re: tfabris]
gbeer
carpal tunnel

Loc: Manteca, California
Tried it, it worked fine. Vista Ultimate in Bootcamp.

#328791 - 16/01/2010 05:16 Re: Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this? [Re: gbeer]
tfabris
carpal tunnel

Thanks, all. I'm retiring that user profile on the machine, I think it's something corrupted about that user profile. It's just another symptom that something is wrong with it. Already the profile was loading exceedingly slowly and had grown to excessive proportions, and in fact I wanted to back up the passwords just so I could use them on the new profile. Ah well, I'll just type them all in again. (There were many many dozens, maybe that was the problem to begin with.)

By the way, regarding user profiles... Note to all programmers everywhere: Placing your CACHE and BACKUP files in the user profile folder is a bad bad idea for corporate users whose user profiles must synch to a file server over a network.

You'd think only rookies would make that mistake. Rookies like Google Earth? Microsoft Virtual Earth? iTunes? Gr. The user profile folder was 5 gigs.

#328793 - 16/01/2010 06:32 Re: Here's an interesting Windows bug. Can others repro this? [Re: tfabris]
Roger
carpal tunnel

Loc: London, UK
Originally Posted By: tfabris
By the way, regarding user profiles... Note to all programmers everywhere: Placing your CACHE and BACKUP files in the user profile folder is a bad bad idea for corporate users whose user profiles must synch to a file server over a network.

Roaming or home-brew? The %LocalAppData% folder is fair game for that kind of thing. %AppData% is not.